News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Recent posts

Demos / Re: My screens on Amstrad CPC....
Last post by genesis8 - Today at 22:05
Multipaint 2024 (Version 24.3.2024) is out.
News & Events / Re: #CPCRetroDev 2023
Last post by arnolde - Today at 21:36
Quote from: arnolde on 08:08, 17 November 23
Quote from: Brundij on 20:58, 16 November 23For me I think the graphics style suits the spirit of the game perfectly.
Thank you, that's very kind. As for the music, I'm kind of a pro, but the gfx are always a lot of fun to do.

Quote from: Brundij on 20:58, 16 November 23I was thinking about doing an original picture for an alternative loading screen for this new game of yours, but I guess I'll pass for now since I don't really understand how it works the way it does.
That would be awesome! You don't have to take care of the technical side of it, I just send you the palette of the mixed colors with modern color notation and if you hand me a PNG I'll do the conversion!  8)

Just for your interest, Brundij drew the perfect title screen for my game and I have finally included in the loader. Disk and Tape files on my itch io are updated! Thank you so much, Brundij! 
A
Off topic / Re: Windows 11 forbidden folde...
Last post by andycadley - Today at 21:34
Quote from: Bryce on Today at 19:52Slightly interesting, but absolutely nothing to do with CP/M. This is just to avoid security loopholes in script based languages / SQL code injection hacks. It has always existed, but the list seems to get longer with each Win version.

Bryce.
Nah, it goes all the way back to DOS:

https://devblogs.microsoft.com/oldnewthing/20031022-00/?p=42073

And DOS inherited the idea from CP/M, just as it did various other bits and pieces like 8.3 filenames.
Amstrad CPC hardware / Re: Memory refresh plus
Last post by McArti0 - Today at 21:31
circa 15sek R1=0

org #4000 ;de - loops
di
ld bc,&bc06
out (c),c
ld bc,&bd00+25
out (c),c

ld bc,&bc01
out (c),c
ld bc,&bd00
out (c),c

ld ix,0
xor a
or a ;C<-0
ld h,d
ld l,e
ld de,0
ld bc,1

.loop
add ix,bc
jr nc,loop
sbc hl,de
jr nc,loop

ld bc,&bc06
out (c),c
ld bc,&bd00+25
out (c),c
ld bc,&bc01
out (c),c
ld bc,&bd00+40
out (c),c
halt
ret
Last post by Prodatron - Today at 21:12
Quote from: HAL6128 on Today at 14:49AUX: — an auxiliary device. In CP/M 1 and 2, PIP used PUN: (paper tape punch) and RDR: (paper tape reader) instead of AUX:
LST: — list output device, usually the printer
PRN: — as LST:, but lines were numbered, tabs expanded and form feeds added every 60 lines
NUL: — null device, akin to /dev/null
EOF: — input device that produced end-of-file characters, ASCII 0x1A
INP: — custom input device, by default the same as EOF:
OUT: — custom output device, by default the same as NUL:
[/left]

[/code]

Is this from CP/M itself (until 2.2)?
Wasnt this only used by PIP? At least the BDOS doesnt have any clue about these strings. Maybe later CCP of CP/M plus as well? But MSDOS/QDOS was 2.2 based Not 3.x. So yes Bryce is right, this has nothing really to do with CP/M imho, just the naming.
Amstrad CPC hardware / Re: Memory refresh plus
Last post by McArti0 - Today at 19:57
Quote from: McArti0 on Today at 12:41CRTC is not refreshing CPC only when R0=0. if R0<>0
errata: CRTC is not refreshing CPC only when R1=0. if R1<>0
Last post by Bryce - Today at 19:52
Slightly interesting, but absolutely nothing to do with CP/M. This is just to avoid security loopholes in script based languages / SQL code injection hacks. It has always existed, but the list seems to get longer with each Win version.

Bryce.
Programming / Re: Basic On Mushroom
Last post by m_dr_m - Today at 19:45
Regarding Lua, I forgot I did some preliminary experiments. Maybe I should post the results somewhere more visible?

The conclusions were: 
  • wren seems to have a smaller footprint (while being a more attractyves language)
  • it wasn't viable!

But those tests were done with LLVM_Z80, and since then SDCC has improved and generates better code (e.g. calls via register instead of stack handled via IX).
Programming / Re: Basic On Mushroom
Last post by m_dr_m - Today at 19:38
Quote from: Targhan on Yesterday at 23:50What about something like LUA on CPC?  It is simple, and can be added "modules" for more features, which could be added later.
Sounds like a great idea!
It has a lot of warts compare to e.g. Nim, but it might be small enough.
I might try to port the VM, following @PulkoMandy's steps. As GUNHED suggests, with careful separation of system part, to target:
  • CP/M? (to benefit a larger community, and CP/M on CPC has become sexy again)
  • SymbOs directly? (for less memory constraints?)

Quote from: eto on Today at 08:40Would an adaption of MMBasic make sense? It's designed for microcontrollers with limited RAM. Not sure if it's possible to adapt it for an 8bit processor though.
The site states: "In its minimal version MMBasic typically compiles to about 94K of flash". Ouch!
It can be good for inspiration, but if I were to port a language, I would prefer start from wren.

@GUNHED. You should try lisp.

Syntax is usually passionately debated, while being the less important aspect, as long as:
  • it is consistent
  • easy stuff is easy to write and hard stuff is possible to write
Parenthesis are already used for function calls. It makes no sense discriminating user functions from built-in functions, especially if you want to promote functions as first class citizen (ability to store, pass and return functions) and allow generic programming.
C
Last post by cwpab - Today at 19:30
I have already accidentally written this double message, so...

According to Microsoft..
" These folder can't be created on the desktop as they refer to "System Action" or "Device" and are reserved for tasks to be performed by Windows. Here are other folders that cannot be created:
CON, PRN, AUX, CLOCK$, NUL, COM1, COM2, COM3, COM4, COM5, COM6, COM7, COM8, COM9,
LPT1, LPT2, LPT3, LPT4, LPT5, LPT6, LPT7, LPT8, LPT9 "