News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Recent posts

I had totally forgotten about Tranz Am. It's a shame it was released too early for the CPC. It's an example of why I like retro games. It gives me serious Saboteur vibes: it's amazing that 1 or 2 guys could create such original and expansive games with barely any references.

What a nice Speccy exclusive!

PS: It looks like the 2 brothers from Ultimate later founded Rare, where they programmed games on a cool farmhouse (they said this environment helped them, I think it's a similar case to Lucasfilm Games ranch).
I voted for the Speccy because it was my first computer (the 16k version) and I have fond memories of playing some cute games like Pssst!, Tranz Am, Jetpac, Froggy, Skooldaze and lot of others which I don't remember right now. Those games had some cuteness to them which the C64 games back then were lacking. And I was not very fond of Commodore in the 80s .. I did play my fair amount of C64 games at friends places, but I think I was also too influenced by the graphics style and the strong colours of the Speccy to be able to appreciate how most games on the C64 looked.
Regarding Speccy ports.. My heart is always with the Speccy originals - because they run smoother and play better (even with the color clash) than our crappy versions in 90% of the cases.
Quote from: Prodatron on Yesterday at 21:09What is very cool about the Spectrum is that it created one of the best Z80 coders ever.
Who is that person? 
D
Games / Re: Hypernoid Zero
Last post by DataPro - Today at 12:41
I tryed it yesterday.
The game is stunning !
Beautiful graphics,excellent display technique and nice design.

But it's quite difficult :laugh:
Games / Re: Le Dernier Serment (The La...
Last post by asertus - Today at 12:30
Quote from: Targhan on Today at 10:38@Narkhos It is working on my CPC, thanks!!! Without surprise, it looks even better than an emulator. I probably won't play in on a real CPC since it has no savegame :(. But I'll continue my game on emulator and is dedicated to finishing it :).

Good remark about how important is to have some kind of savegames or level codes, etc.. is in today's games. Lack of time, etc..
Quote from: McArti0 on Yesterday at 22:08test input 8255
Thanks, I will certainly do this.

I didn't get free time yesterday to progress with testing but I intend to look more into the PIO.
Games / Re: Vespertino
Last post by Gryzor - Today at 12:15
Quality content 😁
Quote from: cwpab on Today at 11:22Because seriously, guys, don't you feel an emotional attachment to the Speccy games because of the simliarity with CPC mode 1 games?
Exactly the opposite. Whenever I see the Speccy in action I am reminded that it's the reason (okay, okay, not the Speccy per se but the decision makers) we got so many crappy ports.

But: it's also clear that without the Speccy we would not have gotten the CPC. It was a great example for Amstrad how to build a cheap computer based on standard components and at the same time it was the perfect example for what to avoid. 

Quote from: Sykobee (Briggsy) on Today at 10:25that awfulness came cheap.
oh I love that comment :-)