News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Recent posts

Programming / Re: The Heart of Salamanderlan...
Last post by reidrac - Today at 12:30
The game has been released!

Go and get it: https://www.usebox.net/jjm/heart-of-salamanderland/

Includes DSK, CDT and CPR (although is just the same as the DSK, the game controls are GX4000 compatible). Also a manual, read it! :D

(I didn't include tips & tricks, but this game -like Brick Rick- has "coyote time", which means you can jump very late; and you will need it)
Thanks!! Yeah, that's very useful!
Quote from: crabfists on Yesterday at 21:49Thanks for the honest feedback. :)

Quote from: andycadley on Yesterday at 17:33First issue was it really doesn't seem to like high DPI displays (the text was absolutely tiny). I've fiddled with the compatibility settings to try and tweak it to at least be readable, although that's possibly what's then caused other issues.
To use a bigger font, you can put a ttf font in the Fonts directory and specify it in the GlobalConfig.json file. See this note in the Wiki:

https://github.com/TheGoodDoktor/8BitAnalysers/wiki/Configuring#high-resolution-displays

I can recommend the cousine regular font from here https://fonts.google.com/specimen/Cousine. It could be worth bundling it in the download package.

Thanks for that, I've tried it and it fixes the font problem at least (well it fixes it if I only use my laptop screen, I'm expecting it won't be much fun when I have it plugged into my external monitor as they have very different DPI settings). It doesn't really fix the layout problems though, every starts off all squished into a small window and, even maximised, controls have a habit of being hidden at the end of big scrollable regions. So using the graphics viewer part, for example, I have to set the mode at the top of the panel, scroll it enough to see the X/Y size settings, change them then scroll back up to see the memory I'm examining, then scroll back down to tweak it....

Quote from: crabfists on Yesterday at 21:49
Quote from: andycadley on Yesterday at 17:33I can't quite figure out how the graphics viewer is rendering the image when in "bitmap" mode (or what the other modes mean!). If I move the graphics view on by a single byte, for example, it doesn't seem to be doing what I'd expect - that is rendering byte directly in the selected Mode, based on the width of columns selected.
It took me a while to get my head around how it worked at first. The thing to bear in mind is, it draws in vertical strips/columns. The width of the strips come from the XSize value. I know you're not keen on YT videos but this video shows how to find graphics using the Graphics view. It might be the same one you already watched though.

Yeah, that's how I expected it to work. And for Mode 1 that's exactly what it seems to be doing (I could easily pick out the graphics in a Manic Miner snapshot). I'm not sure it's working properly for Mode 0 though. Incrementing the memory address by 1 isn't doing what I'd expect it to be doing in that case. And weirdly the view of the memory in the "Code Analysis" bit doesn't match up at all in Mode 0, so it's probably a bit buggy.

Quote from: crabfists on Yesterday at 21:49
Quote from: andycadley on Yesterday at 17:33And there are a few oddities like displaying some numbers in decimal even though hex mode is selected, but nothing insurmountable.
Could you give details on where this happens please?

Most notably, the text that appears in the scrollbar thing next to the graphics viewer (see attached screenshot)

The offset in the hover-over for the graphics view seems to be decimal as well (I can't entirely decide whether it's preferable in that case or whether hex would be better just for consistency).

Quote from: crabfists on Yesterday at 21:49If you want to ask any other questions feel free to send me a DM or to come and ask questions on the Discord.

Cool. Will quite possibly do that after playing around a bit more.
Programming / Re: Rasm Z80 assembler
Last post by HAL6128 - Today at 10:19
Cool, understand! Thank you.
Games / Re: Bubble Quest - GX4000/CPC...
Last post by roudoudou - Today at 07:00
Quote from: Prodatron on Yesterday at 22:45Anyway that's usual today:
People start new great impressive stuff. The scene freaks out, and so the developers want to release the coolest thing ever. Or let's say at least: The product should be as perfect as possible.
But as every developer knows, the first 90% of the development are hard but doable, while the last 10% require 10x more time than expected :laugh:

I guess we already have countless of such projects, cwpab only mentioned the most famouse ones (e.g. you forgot Bombjack :D )

You should know that the code of BubbleQuest is done since years, i'm just waiting for GFX material (which is a huuuuuuuuuge task for Barjack, so it takes time AND it's boring for him). Numerous musics are done too (there is a "little" work left for sample adaptations). The good news is i have time to add many functionnalities to ACE-DL :P
Programming / Re: Saving BASIC text file to ...
Last post by MoteroV4 - Today at 04:19
In case it helps you, this is an example of "maketape.sh" with "2cdt" tool that I used a while ago to create the "cdt" that I presented to CPCRetrodev:

#!/bin/bash
# Los nombres de los archivos, son sensibles a Mayúsculas
# NOTA: los ficheros BAS hechos con editor no llevan cabecera AMSDOS. Crear el diskete normalmente,
# cargarlos en Winape y grabarlos con save "nombre.BAS", para convertirlos de ASCII a binario (BAS).
# Aparte ocupan la mitad. Y en ASCII tardaban mucho en cargarse, antes de convertirlos en BAS.
# Finalmente extraerlos del diskete con CPCDiskXP. Usar estos para empaquetarlos en la distribución
# final en disco y en cinta. Se distinguen porque van en letras mayúsculas.
# Para compilar Proyecto en Cinta: ./maketape.sh

ICDT=$CPCT_PATH/tools/2cdt/bin/2cdt
TARGET=memtrainer.cdt

# Crear un nuevo fichero CDT con el nombre de mi "target"
$ICDT -n . $TARGET > /dev/null

# Fuentes de ficheros a insertar en el CDT
#cargador
SOURCE1=MEMTRAIN.BAS
#pantalla
SOURCE2=MEMTRAIN.SCR
#basic ppal.
SOURCE3=SIMON.BAS
#fuentes
SOURCE4=SPACEAGE.FNT
#sprites y ASM
SOURCE5=SIMONBIN.BIN
#musica
SOURCE6=SIMBUFER.BIN

$ICDT -r Memtrainer $SOURCE1 $TARGET
$ICDT -r memtrain.scr -L 0xC000 $SOURCE2 $TARGET > /dev/null
$ICDT -r simon.bas $SOURCE3 $TARGET > /dev/null

$ICDT -r spaceage.fnt -L 0xA074 -X 0xA074 $SOURCE4 $TARGET > /dev/null

$ICDT -r simonbin.bin -L 0x6000 -X 0x9452 $SOURCE5 $TARGET > /dev/null

#$ICDT -r simbufer.bin -L 0x5000 -X 0x05786 $SOURCE6 $TARGET > /dev/null
$ICDT -r simbufer.bin -L 0xC000 $SOURCE6 $TARGET > /dev/null
News & Events / Re: 25 years ago...
Last post by m_dr_m - Today at 03:29
Happy birthday! Thanks for your site, which has often been the right tool to discover or find back the most obscure stuff!
Your voice is important, especially for vanity (everybody's favorite sin, not the CPC jazz band).
I mean, spreading news has always been an essential part of the "scene", and I trust your site made some people discover the CPC world was still active (like a volcano, with lots of dust).

Thank you for this little history note, always appreciated.

Oh! And at next meeting let us hear your falsetto singing, together with a saxo solo.

Plus, what Prodatron said.
Thanks again! I'll give this emulator a try too! 

But actually, I just figured it out using 2cdt! Finally!! What I was missing is to save the block in "cpctxt" format! Thanks a lot for the help though, I've discovered a couple of new emulators I didn't know! (I'm relatively new to the CPC world, as I do most of my development for MSX, and I am not very familiar with the CPC tools!)
Programming / Re: Saving BASIC text file to ...
Last post by Jean-Marie - Today at 02:16
I managed to have it working with ACE/DL emulator, which has a Linux version.
You must first save your Basic file in a text format with a BAS extension. Give it a short name, and no spaces nor special characters.
Press F12 to display the menu, then select Floppy & Drives, then Create new floppy in Drive A.
Press F12 again, click again on Floppy & Drives, then on Manage Floppy in Drive A.
From there, you can drag & drop your file in the window, and it will be written directly on the disk.
Finally, press F4 to save the DSK file.
Important: you must tick on the ASCII Import checkbox before dragging the file.