News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Recent posts

B
General Discussion - Introductions / Hi there!
Last post by Benedikt - 10:56, 12 May 24
Hi there!

My name is Benedikt and I am new to this forum and relatively new to the CPC world, but have some experience with low level (vintage) PC programming and hardware tinkering, which I hope will turn out to be useful.
All in all, I am interested in both, the software and the hardware side of the CPC universe.

When it comes to diving into the inner workings of CPC hardware, I figured: What better way could there be than to... build one?
Yes. My ultimate goal is to build a CPC-compatible machine, but that is clearly a topic for a new thread.
Emulators / Re: ACE for Linux,Mac, Windows...
Last post by roudoudou - 10:50, 12 May 24
Quote from: Jean-Marie on 22:56, 11 May 24Just so you know, the FDC doesn't seem to handle the GAP2 protection on this Mastertronic's compilation:  3 games volume 1 © mastertronic (1988) (cpc-power.com)
 Also, my original of West Bank (UK) has a Size 0 sector in track 40 which causes troubles  :-[
Edit: My bad, the compilation seems to work correctly now! Thanks :)

where does this original come from?
first, DSK is not a master format
second, a #41 sector on track zero with wrong CRC should not load, as expected?
third => i guess cpcrulez or cpc-power would be glad to have that dump ;)
Quote from: Dubliner on 17:36, 10 May 24I had again the great honor of being able to talk to a CPC legend.

https://www.retromaniacmagazine.com/2024/05/eran-tiempos-completamente-diferentes.html

Another great developer who wasn´t asked "in many decades" about a great game: The Vikings.

thanks for all that great interviews 8)
Demos / Re: 38 years old demo unearthe...
Last post by BSC - 10:15, 12 May 24
Quote from: roudoudou on 05:36, 12 May 24Why Cologne instead of Köln ?
The world wants to know
Because BWK (BetaWeichKöln) was already taken.
Quote from: eto on 11:12, 11 May 24I never heard of "The Vikings" and I can't even find a gameplay video... seems to be a hidden gem.

It was reviewed in the March 1987 issue of Amtix!, but I've never seen a copy of it for sale anywhere, other than the Spanish release. Martin said in the interview that Kele Line went bust shortly after The Vikings was finished, so maybe they were unable to release the game in the UK before they went bust.
Demos / Re: 38 years old demo unearthe...
Last post by roudoudou - 05:36, 12 May 24
Why Cologne instead of Köln ?
The world wants to know
Demos / 38 years old demo unearthed
Last post by BSC - 00:27, 12 May 24
Hola! While digging through my old disk (images), I found one of the earliest "demos" I ever made. Which I also totally forgot about until seeing it on my emulator :) 

The download link is at https://www.pouet.net/prod.php?which=96953

I feel so old now ... 
Given we were mostly kids at the time, we got one because it's what our parents purchased. In my case we had an Amstrad dealer in town and my Dads drinking buddy had a 464 with twin drives and everything you could imagine! He designed aircraft windows for a living and clearly had plenty of money for his own home computer setup!
Last post by Jean-Marie - 22:56, 11 May 24
Just so you know, the FDC doesn't seem to handle the GAP2 protection on this Mastertronic's compilation:  3 games volume 1 © mastertronic (1988) (cpc-power.com)
 Also, my original of West Bank (UK) has a Size 0 sector in track 40 which causes troubles  :-[
Edit: My bad, the compilation seems to work correctly now! Thanks :)
Last post by McArti0 - 22:31, 11 May 24
Quote from: roudoudou on 22:12, 11 May 24this "trick" cannot work on all CPC
Has anyone found at least one non-Plus whose PAL is not set this way?

Does anyone know the difference between 40030 and 40031?