Creating new Shows - i need your suggestions

Started by RolandRadio, 08:35, 30 June 20

Previous topic - Next topic

RolandRadio

A few months ago we had some "Artists only"-Shows from Artists having a wide range of titles on RolandRadio. But we cancelled those shows while reprogramming the system.

Now after we have a great success with the Top15-Show i think about doing more shows with specialized themes during the day.

Did you like the "Targhan only" and similar Shows and want them back?
What about theme-styled hourly shows like "Car racing tunes only" :D

"Dizzy-Special" and so on.

If you have any ideas or suggestions i'm glad to read them here.
Welcome to RolandRadio.net We are playing the finest Amstrad CPC music 24 hours a day, seven days a week. AY around the clock. For your pleasure.

ComSoft6128

RolandRadio

Quote from: ComSoft6128 on 08:39, 30 June 20The "Top ten" By year?
Thats a nice idea for playing on Week 52 of a year. to play the top-charts by rating by year. i will think about it. Nice!
Welcome to RolandRadio.net We are playing the finest Amstrad CPC music 24 hours a day, seven days a week. AY around the clock. For your pleasure.

SkulleateR

How about something like "most-underrated-tunes" but it could be difficult to decide ;)

RolandRadio

Quote from: SkulleateR on 12:15, 30 June 20
How about something like "most-underrated-tunes" but it could be difficult to decide ;)
i can select all titles who are rated by less than 5 users (which is the limit to get into the charts calculation) and then shuffle the titles, select 20 and play them in the "most underrated titles"-Show. And if we play this show more often during the week i can reshuffle the list, so every "underrated"-Show has different titles from the whole pool of titles with low ratings

BSC

Demo-tunes only would be nice, as they tend to be a bit more modern and a bit less often played, overall.

Also nice: Pop-Song covers. Amiga (general cross platform) covers.
** My SID player/tracker AYAY Kaeppttn! on github **  Some CPC music and experiments ** Other music ** More music on scenestream (former nectarine) ** Some shaders ** Some Soundtrakker tunes ** Some tunes in Javascript

My hardware: ** Schneider CPC 464 with colour screen, 64k extension, 3" and 5,25 drives and more ** Amstrad CPC 6128 with M4 board, GreaseWeazle.

RolandRadio

Demo tunes only should be possible as I tagged the productions on Roland radio if they are demos. So I can hopefully select all titles from productions which are Demos Shuffle them and generate a hourly playlist.
I#d love to have some extra informations about the musics played then but it's hard to find some nice and informative texts for the demos or their tunes. Maybe you can provide some extra informations about your tunes? Location did, year, surroundings.

RolandRadio

Villain and myself planned a show chipunes versus real. Where we first play the chiptune and after that the original tune.. will cost 360 euros for gems / biem but can be worth the fun.  But we ended up with only four or five tunes we found. So also help is appreciated for telling us about chip tunes that have a real world predecessor.

mr_lou

I have two suggestions/ideas:

1: Tracks that utilize stereo in a way that they sound good with headphones?

2: Tracks that also exists in other filetype versions for other platforms? (Play the other version too for comparison).

tastefulmrship

Quote from: RolandRadio on 20:41, 30 June 20
Villain and myself planned a show chipunes versus real. Where we first play the chiptune and after that the original tune.. will cost 360 euros for gems / biem but can be worth the fun.  But we ended up with only four or five tunes we found. So also help is appreciated for telling us about chip tunes that have a real world predecessor.
To slightly enhance this idea; Chris Abbott recently released an Arcade Classics remix album, so perhaps do an arcade show where you play the arcade original and one (or more) AY versions; Outrun, Alien Storm, Space Harrier, etc. Perhaps have interviews with CPCers telling how/why they converted the tune!

Or, a show that showcases the differences between C64 and CPC; Ghost & Goblins, Cybernoid (1 & 2), Stormlord, etc. Where the music we had was so different to the C64 music! I realise this will include a LOT of JDR, but that's not exactly an issue! ^_^ Again, playing both tunes!

tastefulmrship

Just as an addition to the above;
How about an "Unknown Artist" show? Where you play only Unknown Artist tunes (self-explanatory, I know, but...)
Maybe have the intro jingle asking people to email in if they know who wrote the tune (again, I know you alreay do this, but I don't think people realise how many tunes still have no artist name.) The idea is to try and lower the number of unknown artist tunes on RR as there are over 550 of them!

I appreciate that some game tunes are going to be impossible to get right! For example;
- OUT RUN was converted to AY by Jason C Brooke, but he was working with David Whittaker at the time so it could have been DW!
- The same goes for DEMON'S REVENGE; it's got to be either JCB or DW who wrote that awesome tune!
- A lot of the Rob Hubbard and DW tunes are interchangeable too!

However, there are some easy ones that are still showing as unknown artist. For example;
- AIRWOLF 2 and GURIANOS were done by Mark Cooksey.
- BARBARIAN was Richard Joseph's best ever soundtrack on 8-bit!
- CHIMERA was RH.

RolandRadio

Quote from: SuTeKH/Epyteor on 07:13, 07 July 20
Just as an addition to the above;
How about an "Unknown Artist" show? Where you play only Unknown Artist tunes (self-explanatory, I know, but...)
Maybe have the intro jingle asking people to email in if they know who wrote the tune (again, I know you alreay do this, but I don't think people realise how many tunes still have no artist name.) The idea is to try and lower the number of unknown artist tunes on RR as there are over 550 of them!

I was thinking about adding the Softwarehouse instead of having a lot of "unknown artist"-tunes. I am thinking about how to lower this immense unknown tunes.

Quote from: SuTeKH/Epyteor on 07:13, 07 July 20
I appreciate that some game tunes are going to be impossible to get right! For example;
- OUT RUN was converted to AY by Jason C Brooke, but he was working with David Whittaker at the time so it could have been DW!
- The same goes for DEMON'S REVENGE; it's got to be either JCB or DW who wrote that awesome tune!
- A lot of the Rob Hubbard and DW tunes are interchangeable too!

This may be fixed as i can relate a tune to more than one artist (which will be hard) but also i will try to match a title to more than one production, because some of my tunes are used in games AND in different demos at once. And i - as an artist - know i named the tune after my cat, but now its called "The Echo-Demo" - and this sucks :-) So i would more like to see "MiauMiau" is a music by KM - used in "The Echo-Demo" .

Quote from: SuTeKH/Epyteor on 07:13, 07 July 20However, there are some easy ones that are still showing as unknown artist. For example;
- AIRWOLF 2 and GURIANOS were done by Mark Cooksey.
- BARBARIAN was Richard Joseph's best ever soundtrack on 8-bit!
- CHIMERA was RH.
if you submit those informations via the Report Bug-Button this will be great as then i get emails i can work on. Thank you.

RolandRadio

TotO

Insert coin: Music from coin-op games
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

RolandRadio

Quote from: TotO on 09:41, 16 July 20
Insert coin: Music from coin-op games

Do you have a list of the games which also where arcade games?

TotO

Quote from: RolandRadio on 15:46, 16 July 20
Do you have a list of the games which also where arcade games?
I can do that
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

RolandRadio

TotO

tastefulmrship

Quick question:
Are you also including the We M.U.S.I.C. tracks in the Ben Daglish artist-only show?

RolandRadio

No. If the artist doesnt fit the name the title is ignored. Thats the reason why we play coops like "Ben & Stiller" for the autor Ben or Stiller if they have own shows. but we can not integrate "bertram" as a synonym for Ben. Maybe if i change playout system and code my own radio-playout-server i may include also aka names in the playlist.

mr_lou

The CPC audio is very nostalgic for me, and I still make music for it every now and then. But listening to CPC tunes for a longer period of time isn't for me. So I gotta admit that I don't listen to Roland Radio that much.

Pondering about what would make me listen more, I realized that I'd love shows that contains more speak. Especially 8-bit Memoirs kind of stories; composers telling background stories about their tracks. Or sharing any kind of memory from back in those days. Maybe such a thing is already part of it, and I just haven't stumbled across it?

And then I'd need for the shows to be downloadable in mp3 format so I can bring them with me on my (non-smart) phone and listen on-the-go. I simply don't have time to sit and listen to it otherwise.

tastefulmrship

Quote from: RolandRadio on 11:50, 17 July 20
No. If the artist doesnt fit the name the title is ignored. Thats the reason why we play coops like "Ben & Stiller" for the autor Ben or Stiller if they have own shows. but we can not integrate "bertram" as a synonym for Ben. Maybe if i change playout system and code my own radio-playout-server i may include also aka names in the playlist.
Fair enough! There are only a handful of We M.U.S.I.C. tracks anyway; it's just it would've been nice to hear more MELTDOWN! ^_^

How do the artist-only shows work? Does the system just pick randomly from all named Ben Daglish, for example? In other words, will newly corrected Unknown Artist or newly uploaded titles be automatically added to the show or is it a manual task to add them?

RolandRadio

Quote from: SuTeKH/Epyteor on 08:17, 20 July 20How do the artist-only shows work? Does the system just pick randomly from all named Ben Daglish, for example? In other words, will newly corrected Unknown Artist or newly uploaded titles be automatically added to the show or is it a manual task to add them?

Artists only have their own folder where the tracks are linked from their original source - so i need to add new tracks manually as a link to this folder where the playout system then picks randomly tracks for filling one hour. I update the folders now and then. So the changes from today will be noticed.

tastefulmrship

No, no, no, no, no, no, no! Please! Don't do a show full of my abominations! Use the time for a proper musician; Jason C Brooke, Tiny Williams, Dave Rogers or anyone... basically!

Really! No-one wants a whole hour of ear-piercing rubbish from me!

TotO

"The Dave Rogers Hits Hour", I'm thinking about that last week because we have currently 66mn of his music, and 90% are hits.

EDIT: Hey! Just remove Zynaps!!!  ;D  (joke)