Members now can rate titles on RolandRadio

Started by RolandRadio, 19:17, 08 April 20

Previous topic - Next topic

RolandRadio

To generate a Top-20 and to do some "Best of the best"-Shows we added the possibliity to rate titles.

Check our our new playlist: https://rolandradio.net/playlist
Also the rating is now included into the artist page
Welcome to RolandRadio.net We are playing the finest Amstrad CPC music 24 hours a day, seven days a week. AY around the clock. For your pleasure.

norecess464

It's nice @kangaroo  ! Setting stars for a song is great mechanism, and in the long-term this has potential to twist the database to something great and representative.

Unfortunately, there is no "Play" button to hear the preview of a song ; so it gets a little bit complicated to "vote". Example: OK I enjoy the music from Star Sabre game from Targhan, and I would not mind listening it few times in the coming days. But what was it, did I enjoy music from the main menu or the game?! can't recall it. etc. without audio preview, it's getting hard.
My personal website: https://norecess.cpcscene.net
My current project is Sonic GX, a remake of Sonic the Hedgehog for the awesome Amstrad GX-4000 game console!

RolandRadio

I am planning to put kind of "preview/hear" mp3s on every title to give the chance to listen to music even if it is not played on the stream.

What i have to do:
if a track is played by the automation-system. start a script, copy the original-file to a temp-directory, rename this to the RRID, convert it to MP3, cut the first 20 seconds off, jump 20 seconds forward and cut the rest and safe this "snippet" to RRID-snippet.mp3.

Then i will be able to link this file with an html5-audio-player so everone can "prehear" the track for voting or also for a request.
Also i want to make the mp3 of the full track downloadable maybe also with the source-file as stk. 128 .st files or Ym. dont know if someone has a large collection of the YMs

But that is what i want to do "next" - after i have finnished the Rate Tracks and generate a Top20-List.

Welcome to RolandRadio.net We are playing the finest Amstrad CPC music 24 hours a day, seven days a week. AY around the clock. For your pleasure.

Targhan

Please forget about YM... This a terrible format, too error prone, most YM are badly encoded, at the wrong framerate. Many songs do NOT song the same on YM (think about these strange players of the Codemasters game). Using YM will bring the quality down.
Targhan/Arkos

Arkos Tracker 2.0.1 now released! - Follow the news on Twitter!
Disark - A cross-platform Z80 disassembler/source converter
FDC Tool 1.1 - Read Amsdos files without the system

Imperial Mahjong
Orion Prime

RolandRadio

OK. Then i go for the original tracker files?
Maybe you can contribute some?
I first have to find a way to get my 3"-Discs to my PC-System to get to my tracker files.

RolandRadio

@norecess - Your wishes had become true :-)
You can now listen to every track for 20 seconds
https://rolandradio.net/playlist

norecess464

Well done @kangaroo , exactly what Roland Radio needed !! Awesome
My current project is Sonic GX, a remake of Sonic the Hedgehog for the awesome Amstrad GX-4000 game console!

norecess464

Hmm, actually I'm experiencing issues. Sometimes when I hit the play button, nothing happens. Worse, when I try to click another button, now the UI shows 2 playing musics. If this can help, I'm using Firefox using Linux (FYI the small embedded radio web-player works well).

RolandRadio

That is due to the technique and scripts i am using to do this feature.

To avoid a "if file exists"-query i just display the play/pause-Button if the file exists or not. So as the file is generated right after the start of the playout on the stream, it happens that titles not played yet dont have a file to play. Maybe i should set up a "if file exists"-cause anyway.

I run a cron job for cutting every file into its 20 second piece on the webserver - this is triggered every minute. That means from the time the title is listed in the playlist it can take up t 60 seconds until the file is generated and playable through the play/pause button. But i will try to optimize this feature today..

Carnivius

Quote from: Targhan on 22:57, 08 April 20
Please forget about YM... This a terrible format, too error prone, most YM are badly encoded, at the wrong framerate. Many songs do NOT song the same on YM (think about these strange players of the Codemasters game). Using YM will bring the quality down.
What do you suggest instead?
Favorite CPC games: Count Duckula 3, Oh Mummy Returns, RoboCop Resurrection, Tankbusters Afterlife

RolandRadio

@norecess  i have fixed this issue - now an X is displayed if the file is not yet available or not rendered. Happy listening and votig on the titles :D

norecess464

YES, pretty great @kangaroo I confirm it works.
One last request on this topic: I play music -> OK. Then I play another music -> the previous played music is still being played (so we have 2 musics at same time), it is possible to "auto-pause" the previous played music when playing a new one ??Thank you

RolandRadio

Quote from: norecess on 16:10, 12 April 20
YES, pretty great @kangaroo I confirm it works.
One last request on this topic: I play music -> OK. Then I play another music -> the previous played music is still being played (so we have 2 musics at same time), it is possible to "auto-pause" the previous played music when playing a new one ??Thank you

i will try if i can get it that the previous player to stop if a new player is started. as a "workaround" just pause the plaing title before starting another one :-)

norecess464

Quote from: RolandRadio on 16:25, 12 April 20

i will try if i can get it that the previous player to stop if a new player is started. as a "workaround" just pause the plaing title before starting another one :-)
yes I feel you are "almost there" :-)

Targhan

QuoteWhat do you suggest instead?

QuoteOK. Then i go for the original tracker files?
Maybe you can contribute some?
I first have to find a way to get my 3"-Discs to my PC-System to get to my tracker files.

My point is that I don't suggest anything. Most YM quality sucks, and doesn't always reflect the real music.

SNDH on Atari ST wraps the executable of the music. Do you want to do that, emulate the Z80, memory, the PSG? Very hard work. Plus of course get the executables.

As for giving the original tracker files... I lost most of them. The ones I have are in the Arkos Tracker 2 package.

Now, a practical question: WHO is going to use the original SKS/AKS/128 files and actually use them on the real hardware? No one. I suggest, don't bother with all this. It's already hard work for you to manage the radio.

Just my opinion.
Targhan/Arkos

Imperial Mahjong
Orion Prime

Targhan

A suggestion about ratings: would it be possible, if logged, to have a special display for the titles I have already rated? Sometimes I don't if I already rated a title, and a quick glance at the Playlist page could show me what titles I didn't rate yet. Maybe display the stars in red when already rated? Or maybe in semi-transparency? I don't what is the most user-friendly.

... And if it's easy to do too :).

PS: the preview system is really cool and works great!
Targhan/Arkos

Imperial Mahjong
Orion Prime

RolandRadio

I have also noticed that it is unclear which title you have already rated yourself and the whole thing then becomes a bit "confusing". I have to check how I can best determine and display the rating of my own user. If the own rating is higher than the average it might get a bit confusing. But I could just write down the number of the own rating next to the stars. Let's see what I come up with :-) The MouseOver shows the average rating and I could also show my own rating here. average: 3.5 yours: 5

Targhan

Yeah, the mouse over could be nice, but it's only a bonus. What about simply a green "tick" besides the stars to indicate you've already rated it?
I think it's not important to show YOUR rating (you're supposed to know whether you like the song or not!).
Targhan/Arkos

Imperial Mahjong
Orion Prime

RolandRadio

I have fulfilled your wish. A green bar is now displayed in front of the rating stars if you have already given a rating yourself and the rating is shown again in the mouse-over. If you havent rated yet there is a white bar displayed. Check attachement :D

Oh, and i added the amount of ratings to get a better impression

Targhan

Cool! However, I suspect a bug. Sometimes, when rating, the green tick is here, but the stars disappear, no idea why. cf image.
Targhan/Arkos

Imperial Mahjong
Orion Prime

Targhan

Oh, it seems that when the average is a decimal number, the display fails (1.5, 2.5 etc.). Maybe I'm wrong.
Targhan/Arkos

Imperial Mahjong
Orion Prime

RolandRadio

I have fixed this issue.
https://rolandradio.net/projectinfos

At the moment i round the average rating and display the full starts after rounding. as i just display a full star per rating-point there was a bug with non integer average ratings Maybe i will add half-stars display later on.

Targhan

Yes!

I just noticed one "unratable" song is in the Flop-10. I guess such "songs" should not appear in such categories?
Targhan/Arkos

Imperial Mahjong
Orion Prime

RolandRadio

Quote from: Targhan on 13:02, 16 April 20
Yes!

I just noticed one "unratable" song is in the Flop-10. I guess such "songs" should not appear in such categories?

Every title not rated yet will be the worst rated title. So maybe I should apply a filter sorting out the artist RolandRadio. I'll think about that. Disturbed me also.

Targhan

I think so. Not rated doesn't mean "bad". Some excellent titles are not rated yet!
Targhan/Arkos

Imperial Mahjong
Orion Prime