The RolandRadio Top10 and Flop10

Started by RolandRadio, 15:44, 09 April 20

Previous topic - Next topic

TotO

Quote from: BSC on 13:24, 27 June 20
It just occured to me that I might actually have - at least partly - to do with that! I voted some jingles with 1 star.
If I'm not wrong, you can't rate a jingle on Roland Radio.

Quote from: BSC on 13:24, 27 June 20Anything shorter than maybe 20 to 30 seconds should not be included IMO. As a guideline you could try to come up with other demo scene or game music radio stations that do include jingles and such. AFAIK: zero.
Yes, it is not really interesting to listed "game over" tracks from games OST. The question remain: Does the OST have to be cut from the shortest tracks? I think they have to be included into the Roland Radio database, but not played.
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

Targhan

I really don't understand why you don't want <30s music. There are plenty of excellent ones. There are also excellent jingles (and there aren't many jingles). It's a radio, just listen to it, don't bother whether the song is 5 seconds or 7 mns long, as long as it's musical!

In my opinion, we would clearly be missing something without them. But I agree that, maybe, such short songs could have a replay frequency inferior to longer music.
Targhan/Arkos

Arkos Tracker 2.0.1 now released! - Follow the news on Twitter!
Disark - A cross-platform Z80 disassembler/source converter
FDC Tool 1.1 - Read Amsdos files without the system

Imperial Mahjong
Orion Prime

TotO

I have nothing against short music, but it is sometime something special to listen outside an OST context.
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

RolandRadio

Welcome to RolandRadio.net We are playing the finest Amstrad CPC music 24 hours a day, seven days a week. AY around the clock. For your pleasure.

Targhan

A small improvement: when opening the mini-player, the new window is too small vertically, and the player is not visible. Maybe increase the default size (if possible??). Or maybe this is browser related (I'm using Vivaldi)?
Targhan/Arkos

Imperial Mahjong
Orion Prime

RolandRadio

I have an JavaScript which resizes the MiniPlayer. But infam reworking it to fit the modern mobile first aspects. So maybe then the resizing is better.
Welcome to RolandRadio.net We are playing the finest Amstrad CPC music 24 hours a day, seven days a week. AY around the clock. For your pleasure.

tastefulmrship

Quote from: BSC on 13:24, 27 June 20
It just occured to me that I might actually have - at least partly - to do with that! I voted some jingles with 1 star.
This was meant as a way of protesting against the inclusion of jingles (or sound effects), as I am strongly opposed
to including those in general. This has nothing to do with who made them.

Anything shorter than maybe 20 to 30 seconds should not be included IMO. As a guideline you could try to come
up with other demo scene or game music radio stations that do include jingles and such. AFAIK: zero.
As a completist, I like the idea of having smaller tunes alongside the larger ones (some of them too large, perhaps!) They are Amstrad tunes, afterall and deserve to be included in an Amstrad radio station! Also, it means you get to enjoy more tunes on a daily basis! >1000 a day, infact! ^_^

@RolandRadio
It might be a good idea to add some extra infos to the tunes! You already have "made or composed by", but (and I guess I'm speaking personally here as a 99% tune conversionalist*) how about adding an "original tune by" line. This could be something the artist can update (if not already) when the tune editing feature is up and running!

* Totally made up word! Apologies if this does not translate at all!

RolandRadio

Quote from: SuTeKH/Epyteor on 06:56, 07 July 20
It might be a good idea to add some extra infos to the tunes! You already have "made or composed by", but (and I guess I'm speaking personally here as a 99% tune conversionalist*) how about adding an "original tune by" line. This could be something the artist can update (if not already) when the tune editing feature is up and running!

I am planning this since a few months and want to extend the database table for the titles to a large information base for each title. But i need some more time. At the beginning it would not be possible to edit data on your own but i also plan that a RR-User can claim an Artist so he will be able to edit all informations on his own titles to clear things out :-)

BSC

Quote from: SuTeKH/Epyteor on 06:56, 07 July 20
As a completist, I like the idea of having smaller tunes alongside the larger ones (some of them too large, perhaps!) They are Amstrad tunes, afterall and deserve to be included in an Amstrad radio station! Also, it means you get to enjoy more tunes on a daily basis! >1000 a day, infact! ^_^

Smaller tunes would probably be ok, they are still tunes. I think I got disturbed by some jingles or even sound effects. Not sure if they are really on RR of I just dreamed that up, though :D
Either way, sound effects or small jingles (<5 sec) are still a no-no for me. Apart from that I like how RR has evolved recently.
** My SID player/tracker AYAY Kaeppttn! on github **  Some CPC music and experiments ** Other music ** More music on scenestream (former nectarine) ** Some shaders ** Some Soundtrakker tunes ** Some tunes in Javascript

My hardware: ** Schneider CPC 464 with colour screen, 64k extension, 3" and 5,25 drives and more ** Amstrad CPC 6128 with M4 board, GreaseWeazle.

tastefulmrship

Quote from: BSC on 18:50, 09 July 20

Smaller tunes would probably be ok, they are still tunes. I think I got disturbed by some jingles or even sound effects. Not sure if they are really on RR of I just dreamed that up, though :D
On closer inspection there seems to be a few users who do not appreciate the smaller tune! Lots of 1-Star-Reviews on RR! So, maybe I'M in the minority here! ^_^

However, I have to admit that I'm definitely at fault, too; my HYPER PRINCESS PITCH (GAME OVER) conversion is basically a sound-effect... and it's only about 6 seconds long, so there are 11 seconds of silence on the RR track I uploaded! I guess truncating silence is something I am not aware of! Until now! ^_^ Mucho apologies!

Quote from: BSC on 18:50, 09 July 20
Either way, sound effects or small jingles (<5 sec) are still a no-no for me. Apart from that I like how RR has evolved recently.
Fair enough, but (for me) this tune invokes too many great memories (and frustrations) and deserves to be included in the RR archives!
Also, should we include all of the level jingles as well for HoH?

Targhan

Rating is about judging the quality of a song, not how much we want to hear it! I think it's bad to vote jingle down only because you want to decrease the replay rate. That's the job of the radio player to make shorter music come less often.

I like short music, way more than the "Hi this is XXX, and you're listening to RR"... It's music!

But, this is my opinion only, I also think it's not great to have top-songs played more often. The whole interest of the radio is also to discover new tunes, which is why I continue recording them (by the way, a new big batch is going to be uploaded, maybe in a week or two!).
Targhan/Arkos

Imperial Mahjong
Orion Prime

RolandRadio

Quote from: Targhan on 16:41, 10 July 20
I also think it's not great to have top-songs played more often. The whole interest of the radio is also to discover new tunes, which is why I continue recording them (by the way, a new big batch is going to be uploaded, maybe in a week or two!).

We have set up some shows as people asked for "high rated music" to be played more often. So thats the reason why we play the Top-Charts twice a day. I am thinking to reduce this to all uneven days of the week or so or twice a week. I dont know. have to check how to do this to bring the show up to al people around all timezones. as some canadians are listening to rolandradio as well as some french and people from russia. So i have to take care of the playlout times to spread them over the different hours. So the shows are all played twice a day with a difference of 12 hours.

I also added a "underrated" show last week where we play all titles less than 5 votes from the users to bring them more often on the radio.

You can check the broadcast scheduler for more details. https://rolandradio.net/aboutus/broadcast

There will be more optimation over time i think. but i need more feedback to make good decisions :-)

Thank you for your great work!

Gryzor

Is there a reason/logic why a user can't listen to the entire tune from the charts page? It'd be nice to be able to listen to the entirety of the top (or even bottom) ones...

RolandRadio

Quote from: Gryzor on 14:22, 14 July 20
Is there a reason/logic why a user can't listen to the entire tune from the charts page? It'd be nice to be able to listen to the entirety of the top (or even bottom) ones...

Its called "supportive membership" :-) Registered User only can listen for 20 seconds to 32 kBit/s. as people normally should listen to the stream and vote for those music they hear live on the station. But to "remember" the tune there is this short pre-listening-mp3. Users with Level 2 and above can listen to etter quality and full length

There is a info-page: https://rolandradio.net/participate/membership
If you have lievel 2 or higher you get 192 kbIt/s full length and download

Gryzor

Ah, but it was not clear the 20-second limit applied to the Charts page. It says, "can get a 20 second preview of each title in really lousy 32 kBit/s quality" but I can actually go into the song's page and listen to it to its entirety (even if still capped at 32kbps).

RolandRadio

Quote from: Gryzor on 08:43, 15 July 20
Ah, but it was not clear the 20-second limit applied to the Charts page. It says, "can get a 20 second preview of each title in really lousy 32 kBit/s quality" but I can actually go into the song's page and listen to it to its entirety (even if still capped at 32kbps).

Yes. you can listen at the detail page to the full 32 kBit/s-title. But this also expands to 192kbit/s after entering Level 2 :-)
I've upgraded you this morning. Thank you.

RolandRadio

Quote from: Targhan on 16:41, 10 July 20also think it's not great to have top-songs played more often.
We have reduced the Chart-Show to once a day and mutual to each day. You can find the new scheduler here: https://rolandradio.net/aboutus/broadcast

Targhan

Is the "dizzy special" so important it has to be played every day?
Are there "Ben Daglish / Tom & Jerry / Whittaker etc." specials scheduled once a week like "before"?
Targhan/Arkos

Imperial Mahjong
Orion Prime

RolandRadio

Quote from: Targhan on 12:46, 15 July 20
Are there "Ben Daglish / Tom & Jerry / Whittaker etc." specials scheduled once a week like "before"?

Dizzy is played every second day. Shall i add the "artists only" again?

i try to play all shows that way that a canadian or an australian CPC user also can listen to the shows at a normal time :) So thats the reason why all show are played twice a day with a difference of 12 hours. as the CHarts played every day i flipped the second playout per day and zig-zagged the schedule of this show every day. to have it more even :)

Targhan

Shall i add the "artists only" again?
I admit I liked those!

Targhan/Arkos

Imperial Mahjong
Orion Prime

BSC

Quote from: Targhan on 16:41, 10 July 20
Rating is about judging the quality of a song, not how much we want to hear it! I think it's bad to vote jingle down only because you want to decrease the replay rate. That's the job of the radio player to make shorter music come less often.

Rating is perfectly subjective, as are the reasons to like or dislike a song (or any piece of audio).
And of course I rate songs higher if I enjoy hearing them and vice versa.
I think it is a bad idea to include jingles and I reserve my right to be highly offended by their sheer existence in the RR database.
** My SID player/tracker AYAY Kaeppttn! on github **  Some CPC music and experiments ** Other music ** More music on scenestream (former nectarine) ** Some shaders ** Some Soundtrakker tunes ** Some tunes in Javascript

My hardware: ** Schneider CPC 464 with colour screen, 64k extension, 3" and 5,25 drives and more ** Amstrad CPC 6128 with M4 board, GreaseWeazle.

BSC

Quote from: Targhan on 12:46, 15 July 20

A thought about the community aspect of RR. And I take your word there, as you state right on the homepage that you aim at building a community :)

I would very much prefer if you polled your users before making far reaching changes to schedules or any central aspect of the site.
And I would love to hear other peoples thoughts on that. And your, of course ;-)

villain

Quote from: BSC on 19:27, 15 July 20
Rating is perfectly subjective, as are the reasons to like or dislike a song (or any piece of audio).
And of course I rate songs higher if I enjoy hearing them and vice versa.
I think it is a bad idea to include jingles and I reserve my right to be highly offended by their sheer existence in the RR database.
I second what de Kölsche said. But I'm too lazy for voting jingles...

RolandRadio

Targhan

I won't create a new thread for this, but I'd like to thank @megachur for his music rips, which allowed me to record more than 200 music very quickly (well... quicker than if I had to run all the prods/games by myself).

Thanks again!
Targhan/Arkos

Imperial Mahjong
Orion Prime