Disk goes to loading screen then black screen and won't stop spinning?

Started by Dr Tiger Ninestein, 18:45, 26 December 15

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr Tiger Ninestein

Just tried to fire up a newly bought copy of ghostbusters 2, it goes straight to the Activision screen and then the screen goes black and stays black. Also the disk drive does not stop spinning after the screen goes black for however long I leave it.

Is there anything I can do to get it loading properly or is the disk no good? (disk drive is fully working btw).

Also when the disk drive doesn't stop spinning like that, should I turn the computer off before ejecting the disk?

It's a shame if the disk is broken as the rest of it is in brand new mint condition.

GeoffB17

Hello,

You say the drive should be OK.  I assume you mean it reads other disks OK?

When you insert the disk that will not work, you hear any clicks from the stepper motor?  Either way, sounds like the disk may be faulty, but by how much?

Do you have any of the DU?? progs, maybe could check the rest of the disk.   Could be it's only the first track that has got damaged??

Geoff

Dr Tiger Ninestein

Hi Geoff, yes the drive works fine with all my other disks. Unfortunately I haven't got any of the DU programs.

Just tried cleaning it with some 70% isopropyl alcohol and now it doesn't even go to the loading screen, it sends me to the screen when you turn the computer on, f1 basic, f2 burning rubber (I have a plus). :(

arnoldemu

Ghostbusters 2 uses 8k sectors and possibly 42 tracks. Your drive may not be able to handle 42 tracks fully.
Another possibility is that the copyprotected disc version loaded like this is not compatible with Plus.

My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

Dr Tiger Ninestein

Quote from: arnoldemu on 17:38, 27 December 15
Ghostbusters 2 uses 8k sectors and possibly 42 tracks. Your drive may not be able to handle 42 tracks fully.
Another possibility is that the copyprotected disc version loaded like this is not compatible with Plus.

Just tried the disk again and it loaded to the activision presents screen but then went black again and wouldn't load. Tried it a second and third time and it wouldn't load at all. Maybe it isn't compatible?