News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

FutureOS won't install

Started by dodogildo, 01:21, 28 January 16

Previous topic - Next topic

dodogildo

Hello All,

I'm having problems properly installing the latest FutureOS into my new X-MEM. Here's what happens:

CASE A
Installed as default installation (ROM A in slot 10, then other ROMS in slots 16-18)
Got prompt that all files installed successfully.
After resetting my 6128 on CPC mode I'm only getting 1 line of FutureOS info on the boot screen
|OS command displays the famous FutureOS screen with all the icons and a mouse cursor but evertything is freezed and irresponsive.

CASE B
Installed in custom slots (All the ROMs in slots 2-5)
After resetting my 6128 on CPC mode I'm getting all 4 lines of FutureOS info on the boot screen
|OS command displays the famous FutureOS screen with all the icons and a mouse cursor but evertything is freezed and irresponsive.

I tried initializing X-MEM and installing everything allover again using X-MEM disk. Nothing works.

Notes:

• Downloaded and used the latest package of FutureOS (System .8 - 2015.08.25) from cpc-live.com
  • Transferred all .dsk -> .hfe into the SD card with HXC utility
  • Mounted English installation disk and ran "disc"
  • (I'm using the external HXC floppy emulator to mount disks and load software)

Is my X-MEM faulty or am I doing something wrong?
M'enfin!

dodogildo

M'enfin!

TFM

Quote from: dodogildo on 01:21, 28 January 16
CASE A
Installed as default installation (ROM A in slot 10, then other ROMS in slots 16-18)
After resetting my 6128 on CPC mode I'm only getting 1 line of FutureOS info on the boot screen

Ok, it's a normal thing that you get only one line of sign on message, because ROMs 16-18 get not initialized obviously. That's ok.  :)

Can you move the mouse pointer using cursor keys or joystick? Or is it completely frozen?

Please attach or email your HFE here, so I can check if it works, or try to find out the problem (I ask because it may got an error during transfer to CPC).

Which CPC do you use?

(I used the same DSK->HFE on HxC with a CPC6128 here too and it works).

Do you have any other expansions connected?

TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

dodogildo

HFE attached.
Also the pictures of the whole story attached.

SYMPTOMS:
-FutureOS freezes instantly as its loaded
-Mouse cursor doesn't move.
-Keys don't respond

MY CONFIG:
-CPC 6128 (12v not plugged, thus internal disk not operated)
-HXC type C External (selected on ribbon so the CPC sees that one as A and B both)
-Mother X4
-MF2 clone (plugged and not)
-X-MEM
-GX4000 gamepad (plugged or not)
-Bryce's SVideo adapter
M'enfin!

TFM

The installation worked fine, also the system boots, I will check the HFE tonite and see to reproduce the error.

EDIT: Checked the HFE, seems to be ok, more checks later the day...

TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

gerald

TFM

Hi! I used your HFE last night. It installed just fine (like in your case) and it does all work. I'm sorry, I can't reproduce the problem.
TFM of FutureSoft

dodogildo

Thanks, at least I know now that my install set and method are fine. Gotta dig my hardware configuration. I'll let you know if I find anything.
M'enfin!

TFM

Can you try to press some of the hot keys, f.e. if you press 'm' the OS should jump to the monitor. But I assume you tried pressing all keys already. I got no idea what's going on. Played around with the X-MEM a bit more, but can't figure out what's wrong.  :(
TFM of FutureSoft

arnoldemu

Quote from: TFM on 23:03, 29 January 16
Can you try to press some of the hot keys, f.e. if you press 'm' the OS should jump to the monitor. But I assume you tried pressing all keys already. I got no idea what's going on. Played around with the X-MEM a bit more, but can't figure out what's wrong.  :(
On the x-mem website it mentions something about problems with some z80's.
Maybe this is causing the problem?
My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

TFM

Is there anybody out there having problems with the current FutureOS version? Pleas tell!
TFM of FutureSoft

dodogildo

New Update:

Suspected my 6128 hardware might be faulty, this morning I tried with my 664.
Connected  the same X-MEM with previous FutureOS installation. This time no MotherX4, just ribbon connected. No floppy emulator. 12v supplied and 100% original hardware configuration.

The exact same freeze repeated with 664 as with my 6128 right after FutureOS boots.

I'm starting to suspect from my X-MEM (though it runs SymbOs and other roms fine) now.

@TotO you have any idea?
M'enfin!

gerald

Quote from: arnoldemu on 23:11, 29 January 16
On the x-mem website it mentions something about problems with some z80's.
Maybe this is causing the problem?
The Z80 issue is only related to the 464 compatibility.