News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Loading mp3 audio files.

Started by AMSDOS, 12:05, 02 January 15

Previous topic - Next topic

AMSDOS

Quote from: McKlain on 09:03, 11 January 15
If you use foobar2000 you can follow this tutorial: http://www.hydrogenaud.io/forums/index.php?showtopic=47759 to create wma files, wich I think would give better results than m3p files on your player.

I wasn't able to follow those instructions very well, yes I was able to go into Windows Media Player and noticed the WMA Lossess, but couldn't do anything with it from that since it was looking for a Ripping Source via CD, no files. I haven't used foobar2000 either.

So I got an update of Audacity which supports WMA via FFMPEG.

I now have an mp3 and wma of the same program which is using the Firebird Loader. Both running at 320Kbps, the noticeable difference being the filesize, the WMA is much larger.

Loading with mp3:

Initial files load using Speed write 0, occasionally I get "Read Error B" on the Initial file, with a rewind sorting that out. Program seems to load well under the Firebird with the Occasional Error on Block 0E (I think) for the Loading Screen, rewind and play again resolves that (bit like the good ol' days  :D ), rest of the game amazingly loads without Issues with the mp3 and sometimes the program loads without error.  :o  And to think this was the same game that I couldn't load from an "cdt" in Winape, but there are issues with cdt which get resolved when file becomes a wav (not winapes fault  :D ).
I also note that I haven't had any difficulty loading Speed Write 1 programs with mp3, this seems to be the first program which is perhaps making it slightly harder for the Amstrad to read SW0.

Loading with wma:

I don't know what kind of wma I'm dealing with, under the latest Audacity with FFmpeg I can specify 320kbps Bit Rate which was something I couldn't do in the past, which resulted in poor quality wma. To create the file I've gone back to the original wav and saved it as wma, I've only loaded the program half a dozen times, but it appears the sound of the program is clearer and haven't had any errors occur.
* Using the old Amstrad Languages :D   * with the Firmware :P
* I also like to problem solve code in BASIC :)   * And type-in Type-Ins! :D

Home Computing Weekly Programs
Popular Computing Weekly Programs
Your Computer Programs
Updated Other Program Links on Profile Page (Update April 16/15 phew!)
Programs for Turbo Pascal 3

AMSDOS

Quote from: ralferoo on 19:46, 02 January 15
Firstly, I'd strongly advise against mp3. The MP3 encoding process gets rid of frequencies that the human ear has difficulty hearing and sometimes that will include frequencies in the range that computer data will be recorded in.

And at 320kbps, you might as well use 1-channel 8-bit WAV at 44100Hz, which would be a similar size and actually far better for computer data.

I've found out that when I'm saving a program from my 6128 to a digital device, it involves a lot of fiddling on the digital recorder side of things which is very frustrating. Compared to what I was doing earlier (creating CDT/create WAV/create MP3/WMA), it's a pain.
* Using the old Amstrad Languages :D   * with the Firmware :P
* I also like to problem solve code in BASIC :)   * And type-in Type-Ins! :D

Home Computing Weekly Programs
Popular Computing Weekly Programs
Your Computer Programs
Updated Other Program Links on Profile Page (Update April 16/15 phew!)
Programs for Turbo Pascal 3