News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

LocoScript Error: "Not a LocoScript Document"

Started by Starglider, 05:54, 16 October 15

Previous topic - Next topic

Starglider

Hi, if I see this error on only some of my files that load into the main LocoScript menu, but dozens of other surrounding files work fine, does that just mean a corrupt file? It's a 30 year old disk, so not unexpected.
Photo: https://goo.gl/tMidlx

Could it mean not enough RAM? I have the PCW8256 but the files are on a DD PCW8512 disk.

Or could the files actually belong to another program, even if they are in the "folders" that appear at the top of LocoScript? What I'm asking is whether the disk file structure for LocoScript is unique, or can its 'folders' be used by other programs?

E.g. some files that show there are clearly system files, like USERSPEL.DCT. Could other files be destined to open elsewhere, only I've forgotten where? E.g. the file called SECTION2.COM in this LocoScript WORK folder (left column).
Photo: https://goo.gl/5Kl3Rc

What confuses me is when I read the disk in CP/M, I can't see the files. They seem to only be accessible in LocoScript.
Starglider aka Perifractic
http://youtube.com/perifractic 

Amstrad PCW8256 with Gotek & HD Drive B

MaV

Have you taken a look at other user areas, the precursor of MS-DOS directories? There are 16 of them, and you can switch them in CP/M via the USER n command (n = 0-15). AFAIK, Locoscript uses more than the usual USER 0 to organise files.

Black Mesa Transit Announcement System:
"Work safe, work smart. Your future depends on it."

FloppySoftware

Strange disk.

.EXE files are MSDOS executables.
.COM files are CP/M or MSDOS executables.

Both are unrelated to LocoScript.

It seems that some files in that disk are not LocoScript text files.

You could try to know more about these files with the DUMP command under CP/M.

LocoScript disk structure is compatible with CP/M disks, provided you don't use initdir to store file dates.

Then, you can explore, copy, etc. the files on both.

Groups in LocoScript are the same as user areas in CP/M.

They are named as 0 bytes files as *.GRP in LocoScript. I.e.: LETTERS.GRP

You can have 8 LocoScript groups (user numbers 0 to 7), and limbo files are stored in the corresponding user number + 8 (user numbers 8 to 15).

You can access the 16 user areas under CP/M without any problem.

Of couse, some files  in first group (user 0) can be hidden under LocoScript (same as system files under CP/M).

Hope it helps.
floppysoftware.es < NEW URL!!!
cpm-connections.blogspot.com.es

GeoffB17

Hello,

Well, the file looks like it ought to be a doc file, on the basis it's named like the others.

As another reply said, try the disk under CP/M, do USER 4 as that's the user area the file is in.   Or, to avoid that, use LocoScript to move the file to Group 0 (i.e. User 0) first, then go into CP/M, and you should then be able to see the file.   Then, use the DUMP command (DUMP calvert.052) and see what you get.

Is it possible you saved the file as plain text all those years ago?   I cannot remember if Loco will access a file saved that way, but if it is plain text, then you could start a new doc in the LETTERS area and import the text in.   I think that would work.   Ah.. just remembered - I was looking at a disk recently, and various files gave the same message, and they were plain text.

If all else fails, PM me the file and I'll look inside it.   Should be able to say what's gone wrong, and maybe even put it right.   Assuming there is some text there??

As another reply suggested, the disk may have been used for non-locoscript purposes.   This should not cause a problem, but might if you really try!   Loco files are just normal CP/M files.   One thing you might have done, say, would be to open the file with a plain text editor, change something (even 1 char) and then re-save it.   It could then be NOT recognised as a valid Loco file - although all your text is still there??

Geoff

GeoffB17

Also, note that that group has 26 Limbo files.   check those (under CP/M that would be User 12), maybe one of them could be a previous version of calvert.052??

Geoff

Starglider

Quote from: GeoffB17 on 19:08, 16 October 15
Also, note that that group has 26 Limbo files.   check those (under CP/M that would be User 12), maybe one of them could be a previous version of calvert.052??

Geoff
Thanks. How do I check limbo in Locoscript?

Thanks!

"Recordar es vivir"

GeoffB17

Re check Limbo files - can't remember, but maybe F2 - Inspect will turn on/off displaying Limbo files.  There is certainly an option where you can select display/hide limbo files.

In the case of your disk B:, the LETTERS group will be CP/M USER 4, and the limbo group connected with LETTERS will be USER 12 (as in 4 + 8 ).

Oh, all right.   I'll cheat.   Look in the Manual!   Yes, F8 - Options.   Press Shift + F7, then the + key to turn 'Show Limbo' ON.   Same Fn key, then the - key, to turn off again afterwards, else you'll have an extra 26 files to fill up the screen!!

Geoff

Starglider

Thanks so much. The files do have Limbo counterparts when I turn on Limbo viewing, e.g.
CALVERT.052 6 limbo

When I hit [F5] to recover the limbo file, the recovered file also says it is not Locoscript. I'll investigate in CP/M now.

Starglider

Quote from: GeoffB17 on 19:04, 16 October 15
As another reply said, try the disk under CP/M, do USER 4 as that's the user area the file is in.   Or, to avoid that, use LocoScript to move the file to Group 0 (i.e. User 0) first, then go into CP/M, and you should then be able to see the file.   Then, use the DUMP command (DUMP calvert.052) and see what you get.

Well the good news is I can use the TYPE command from USER 4 to view a (garbled) version of the letters. They were definitely saved in Locoscript, and really that's all I wanted to do.

However could you clarify the DUMP command you mention? CP/M has this to say:

DUMP?

Edit: Also, how does one import a plain text file into a new Locoscript document?

Starglider

Just a (obvious) thought: Could these files have been saved on a later version of Locoscript than I have (v1.20), or are all files/versions cross-compatible.

FloppySoftware

Quote from: Starglider on 22:41, 16 October 15
Just a (obvious) thought: Could these files have been saved on a later version of Locoscript than I have (v1.20), or are all files/versions cross-compatible.

LocoScript 2 can read LocoScript 1 files, but not the opposite.

LS 1  was supplied with the 8256.
LS 2  was supplied with the 9512.

Starglider

Quote from: FloppySoftware on 22:51, 16 October 15
LocoScript 2 can read LocoScript 1 files, but not the opposite.

LS 1  was supplied with the 8256.
LS 2  was supplied with the 9512.
We never had a 9512 but we did upgrade from the 8256 to the 8512.

Edit: Furthermore I seem to remember upgrading the Locoscript disk. The giveaway is the user spell files on my disks. v1 didn't have spell check, so it must have been v2.

I'm starting to think I'll need the Locoscript 2 disk.

Thanks!

"Recordar es vivir"

AMSDOS

Quote from: FloppySoftware on 09:22, 16 October 15
.EXE files are MSDOS executables.

Yes, usually they allow up to 640kb, they can allow more I think depending on how memory is managed, though feel free to correct me.

Quote.COM files are CP/M or MSDOS executables.

M$ adopted the .COM file which it purchased a hacked copy of CP/M to develop it's DOS, so it's essentially the same structure and limited to 64kb. The 16bit version of CP/M (CP/M-86) replaced the .COM file with the .CMD file. Unsure what the limit was for this file, though I'm sure it supported more than 64kb. John Elliott's website has some info about it.
* Using the old Amstrad Languages :D   * with the Firmware :P
* I also like to problem solve code in BASIC :)   * And type-in Type-Ins! :D

Home Computing Weekly Programs
Popular Computing Weekly Programs
Your Computer Programs
Updated Other Program Links on Profile Page (Update April 16/15 phew!)
Programs for Turbo Pascal 3

Starglider

I think these file extensions were nothing to do with DOS, just coincidences. You can see I used many different extensions in Locoscript. That group was school work, hence .PHY for physics, .HIS for history. I believe .COM was... ironically... computing.

Thanks!

"Recordar es vivir"

FloppySoftware

Quote from: Starglider on 23:24, 16 October 15
I think these file extensions were nothing to do with DOS, just coincidences. You can see I used many different extensions in Locoscript. That group was school work, hence .PHY for physics, .HIS for history. I believe .COM was... ironically... computing.

Thanks!

"Recordar es vivir"

EXErcise?

;D

Starglider

I've been trying to think about that. I think it was Exercises!

Thanks!

"Recordar es vivir"

GeoffB17

Hello,

Just worked out that I was talking some bits of rubbish in an earlier message.   I've now checked.

As far as I can see, neither L1 or L2 can save as ASCII/Text.   They only save Loco format documents, even if minimum template info.

I also suspect that they also cannot import plain text, the import must be a 'block' prev created within Loco.   But I think the 'bock' may just be plain text, I need to check this further.

I was thinking about the PC version.   When I moved to mainly PC useage, I got a version of Locoscript for the PC, this prog works almost exactly like the PCW systems.   Looks almost exactly like it too.   Some obvious differences, like using drives/directories instead of groups etc, masses of printer options, suchlike.

Anyway, in the PC version, you can export a document, and one of the export options is ASCII text, and within that are sub-options of straight text or page image (the page image will add hard CRs, the other will not).

Also, when you try to open a doc to edit, the system will spot that it is an old version of Loco, and it differentiates between L1, L2 and L3, and if you continue it gives a warning that layout info MAY be lost, and allows selection of new layout etc.   If you just continue, it may look just fine.   I was testing this through with a letter created December 1985, this one looked just fine.

So, if I did need to convert an old Loco doc, I would get it onto the pc (no problem), load it into PC Loco, save it as ASCII, and get the file back to the PCW, and try the import as a block.   I'd better try this.

I think, when I did things like this MANY years ago, I was NOT going so far as to import the data back into Loco, I was just getting it ready to import into something like MS Word??

Geoff

GeoffB17

Update to above - I've just found it.   Yes, you can create a new doc within (say) L1, and then insert text from a text file.   Text is formatted to suit template as it's imported.

Geoff

Starglider

Quote from: GeoffB17 on 19:34, 17 October 15
Update to above - I've just found it.   Yes, you can create a new doc within (say) L1, and then insert text from a text file.   Text is formatted to suit template as it's imported.

Geoff
Thanks Geoff. Just to clarify, I don't have a PC. My problem is that the files I can't read were saved on Locoscript v2. So I've put a few ads out looking for the original disk. That's all I need to access the unreadable files now.

(Thanks for your email concern about the water shortage in CA. It's talked about occasionally but far from an emergency. No real restrictions on homes. I'm hoping the government just wise up and start building desalination plants, but that's for another forum

FloppySoftware

Hi.

LocoScript on the PCW can import ascii text files into a LocoScript one.

Also, it can convert a LocoScript file as ascii text file.

I have used these options a lot in the past to write programs in assembler and even basic, due to the useful find & change text options, etc.

GeoffB17

Yes.

I thought it could.   Then when I looked for how/where, I couldn't find it.  No mention in the manual.

But I knew I did it.

Found the how/where in the PC version, so assumed I must have done it that way!

I'll dig some more via the PCW.   Much easier now I've got my drive back and can run Loco for real.   Nowhere near as conveniant through the Joyce Emulator.  Can't find the right keys!!

When I started serious (professional) programming back in '89, we used to use WordStar in Non-Document mode for the same reasons you describe.  Then simple text editors got so much more capable, and faster, so we went to those.

Geoff

Starglider

Quote from: FloppySoftware on 19:55, 17 October 15
Hi.

LocoScript on the PCW can import ascii text files into a LocoScript one.

Also, it can convert a LocoScript file as ascii text file.

I have used these options a lot in the past to write programs in assembler and even basic, due to the useful find & change text options, etc.
Interesting, where do you find this option on Locoscript (v1.2)?

Thanks!

"Recordar es vivir"

GeoffB17

Aha.

Found it now.

In L 1.2 there is the option within (E)diting, via F7, to import text, but I don't see the option to export to ASCII.

I've also got 1.31.   If I check that, then the option via F7 on the initial Disk Management screen (before you go into Edit) now DOES show the option to create an ASCII file, this includes the option to create raw ASCII, or page image.   The raw file will be better for re-importing back into a Loco file, the page image will add a lot of hard CR.

If you've got only 1.2, then you're stuck.   I don't know if you can just copy the 1.31 .EMS file on top
of the 1.2 .EMS

Geoff

GeoffB17

Another correction.

Having found the option in 1.31, I've checked 1.2 again, and yes, that F7 Modes menu from the Disk Management screen does include the Make ASCII File option.

So you can export and import in 1.2

Geoff

Starglider