News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

ROM software positions/slots in a X-Mem

Started by CPC_Fan, 21:12, 03 September 15

Previous topic - Next topic

CPC_Fan

Quote from: Ast on 12:44, 08 September 15
You had to use :
ùflash,"nameoftherom",number of rom you want to flash.
You don't need to erase rom because you have just to copy a new one in any slot you want (free or not)
But if you really want to erase a slot, just flash an empty file (size must be 16384 bytes)

I can't get that to work either. The name of the ROM is not showing properly in the slots that I put SymbOS in, which doesn't help  :(  Was the uflash command supposed to be used in Basic or the X-Mem's flasher utility? Or was you meant to type unflash, not uflash?

Unfortunately I have never written code, so I don't know how to make up an empty file of the correct size.

Bryce

I think he means |flash , not ùflash (as typed on a french keyboard).

Bryce.

TotO

Exactly. 'ù' is a side effect and must not have to be used for speaking about RSX, because the '|' symbol is available on all CPC keyboards.
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

Ast

Yes, you're right and you can use |flash (not unflash which not exist) to flash a rom with basic (3.1 or else) command is already installed on X-mem.

Ast/iMP4CT. "By the power of Grayskull, i've the power"

http://amstradplus.forumforever.com/index.php
http://impdos.wikidot.com/
http://impdraw.wikidot.com/

All friends are welcome !

CPC_Fan

Ok thanks for the reply's and for clearing that up for me. Will have a go at the now and hopefully it will sort itself out.

Ast

TFM

Ok, back from Labour day weekend, so here we go:
- The Symbos ROMs are flashed incorrectly, therefore they can't be initialized.
- Other ROMs are fine.

Solution:
- Install FutureOS
- Use my ROManager 2.14 (runs only with FutureOS)
- Reinstall SymbOS ROMs, (they will be handled correctly with or without header)
- Delete Future OS if not needed afterwards.

Now you can also send me the ROMs which make problems via email, so I can analyzed them about problems.
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

CraigsBar

Quote from: CPC_Fan on 14:39, 08 September 15
Ok thanks for the reply's and for clearing that up for me. Will have a go at the now and hopefully it will sort itself out.
Hopefully. Bit Symbos and FutureOS are worth the effort.

FutureOS is blistering fast, SymbOS is amazingly impressive for whole other reasons ;)

IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

CPC_Fan

Ok. I have cleared the X-Mem and reinstalled the software on the X-Mem floppy disc. Also took the option to install the CP/M ROMs in slots 8 and 9. Then I tried to flash the SymbOs ROM A to slot 10 from basic. Unfortunately it appears to have not flashed properly to my X-Mem and I get the same funny symblol/writing as I did in the picture that I posted earlier, rathan than it actually saying SmybOS 2.1 like it should.

I made up a .dsk image of just the SmybOS ROM A,B,C and D ROM images using the program MakeDsk. The images were downloaded directly from the SmybOS website, straight to my hard drive. From there I used CPCdskXP to copy the resultant .dsk image to a standard Amsdos data formatted 3.5" floppy.

Therefore I am wondering if either something has gone wrong in this process, or I have missed something out or not done it correctly? Has anybody else got any ideas on what I could do next? Alternatively could somebody please post on here a known working .dsk image of just the SymbOs ROMs that I could download?

CPC_Fan

Quote from: TFM on 17:39, 08 September 15
Ok, back from Labour day weekend, so here we go:
- The Symbos ROMs are flashed incorrectly, therefore they can't be initialized.
- Other ROMs are fine.

Solution:
- Install FutureOS
- Use my ROManager 2.14 (runs only with FutureOS)
- Reinstall SymbOS ROMs, (they will be handled correctly with or without header)
- Delete Future OS if not needed afterwards.

Now you can also send me the ROMs which make problems via email, so I can analyzed them about problems.

Thanks for your help and advice again TFM. I may well try that tomorrow. Is there any instructions/idiots guide that I could download from somewhere at all? I only ask, as I could not see one on the Future OS site?

CraigsBar

Quote from: CPC_Fan on 20:37, 08 September 15
Ok. I have cleared the X-Mem and reinstalled the software on the X-Mem floppy disc. Also took the option to install the CP/M ROMs in slots 8 and 9. Then I tried to flash the SymbOs ROM A to slot 10 from basic. Unfortunately it appears to have not flashed properly to my X-Mem and I get the same funny symblol/writing as I did in the picture that I posted earlier, rathan than it actually saying SmybOS 2.1 like it should.

I made up a .dsk image of just the SmybOS ROM A,B,C and D ROM images using the program MakeDsk. The images were downloaded directly from the SmybOS website, straight to my hard drive. From there I used CPCdskXP to copy the resultant .dsk image to a standard Amsdos data formatted 3.5" floppy.

Therefore I am wondering if either something has gone wrong in this process, or I have missed something out or not done it correctly? Has anybody else got any ideas on what I could do next? Alternatively could somebody please post on here a known working .dsk image of just the SymbOs ROMs that I could download?
I can post mine that I flashed mine fom last night... Do you have parados? as mine is a Romdos D1 format, otherwise I'll copy them onto a normal DSK

TFM

Quote from: CPC_Fan on 20:43, 08 September 15

Thanks for your help and advice again TFM. I may well try that tomorrow. Is there any instructions/idiots guide that I could download from somewhere at all? I only ask, as I could not see one on the Future OS site?

Yes. The ROManager Disc / DSK has a file called "-Read-Me.txt" on Disc, you can TYPE it on screen. Also the ROManager itself displays online help. Or do you mean to install Symbos itself? That should really be only to Flash the ROMs.
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

CPC_Fan

Quote from: CraigsBar on 19:04, 08 September 15
Hopefully. Bit Symbos and FutureOS are worth the effort.

FutureOS is blistering fast, SymbOS is amazingly impressive for whole other reasons ;)

Well unfortunately it didn't work again Craig  :( . See my new post.

Yes I am sure that they are both good in there own ways and I commend there makers for the time, trouble and effort that they have put into them. It's just a shame and has peed me off a little bit that I can't seem to get them onto the equally good X-Mem that TotO put the time, trouble and effort into as well.

CPC_Fan

Quote from: CraigsBar on 20:46, 08 September 15
I can post mine that I flashed mine fom last night... Do you have parados? as mine is a Romdos D1 format, otherwise I'll copy them onto a normal DSK

Yep I do have parados. If you could post yours, that would be great. I take it that I could still use my external floppy as drive A: rather than drive B:? I do have both an ABBA switch and a side switch.

CPC_Fan

Quote from: TFM on 20:49, 08 September 15

Yes. The ROManager Disc / DSK has a file called "-Read-Me.txt" on Disc, you can TYPE it on screen. Also the ROManager itself displays online help. Or do you mean to install Symbos itself? That should really be only to Flash the ROMs.

Sorry TFM, was meant to say are there any instructions/an idiots guide on how to use Future OS? The Read-Me.txt for the ROManager disc will be useful anyway.

TFM

Quote from: CPC_Fan on 21:04, 08 September 15

Sorry TFM, was meant to say are there any instructions/an idiots guide on how to use FutureOS? The Read-Me.txt for the ROManager disc will be useful anyway.

The installation Archive contains an -ReadMe file, it's a kind of quick start guide. Here you go:

EDIT: Just let PM me if you need details :-) Dunno want to spam this here too much :-)
TFM of FutureSoft

CraigsBar

Quote from: CPC_Fan on 20:59, 08 September 15

Yep I do have parados. If you could post yours, that would be great. I take it that I could still use my external floppy as drive A: rather than drive B:? I do have both an ABBA switch and a side switch.
here you go. It's got MUCH more than just Symbos On it.

Set the side switch to Side A and leave the 3.5 inch drive as B, then it'll just read the Romdos D1 format as normal.

800k in one shot, Lovely

CPC_Fan

@TFM - Thanks for the pointer. I will PM you if I need any more info on Future OS

@CraigsBar - Thanks for posting that up Craig. Ever helpful as usual  :D

CPC_Fan

Good news. At last I managed to install the SymbOS ROMs to my X-Mem  :)  yesterday. Just need to put the other ROMs that I had back on. Then when I get some more proper spare time, I will have a go at installing Future OS and having a play with that.

Thanks again everyone.

TFM

Good to hear that you had success!  :)  With FutureOS it's easy. Just type run"disc and leave anything else to the installer  :)
TFM of FutureSoft

TFM

Quote from: CPC_Fan on 21:01, 10 September 15
... Then when I get some more proper spare time, I will have a go at installing Future OS and having a play with that.

Any success / problems? Please let me know. I'm there to help.  :)
TFM of FutureSoft

CPC_Fan

Still haven't got round to installing it yet TFM  :(  Haven't had hardly any time recently to spend on the Amstrad unfortunately. Will let you know as soon as I can get some time to do it.

TFM

Oh yes, this good old time problem.... they just don't sell TIME  at ACME.  :laugh: ;) :)
TFM of FutureSoft

francouai

Sorry to re-open this old topic but I have exactly the same problem.

unable to flash Symbos and the Xmass ROM into Xmem.

When you flash your XMEM, the jumpers are set to 6128/ROM/FREE?

It looks like the ùFLASH doesn't flash the Xmem.
I tried with ROMAIN V1 the Rom Manager, same...
--
francois

Ast

And how is the jumper below these buttons ?
Do any others installed roms work ?