Transferring .ROM files/images to a 3.5" floppy disc using windows

Started by CPC_Fan, 18:56, 11 March 15

Previous topic - Next topic

CPC_Fan

Hi all

I have just downloaded some .ROM files/images onto my pc, so that I can put them on Amsdos data formatted discs, so that I can burn them to my shinny new X-MEM. However, I cannot figure out how to transfer the files/images onto said discs, using windows xp and CPCDiskXP. Is it possible to do it this way? If so how? If it is not possible to do it this way, how can I do it and what programe do I use?

Anyway help and advice would be much appreciated.

Bryce

The easiest choice is copying them to a 3.5in drive using CPCdiskXP, but obviously you'll need a 3.5in drive connected to your CPC. Another choice is to SD Card if you have a HxC for your CPC. Next choice would be direct transfer if you have a CPCBooster.

What do you have?

Bryce.

CPC_Fan

Hi Bryce. I have a 3.5in external second drive, complete with ABBA switch and side switch on the cpc side. Unfortunately I don't have a HxC or a CPCBooster.

On the pc side I have a separate older pc, complete with a real 3.5in floppy drive and running windows xp.

Bryce

That's enough. I don't actually use CPCdiskXP although I think it's much the same, I use ManageDsk - CPCWiki to create a disk image with the ROMs I need and then write them to the 3.5in disk. Then you can load this directly on the CPC.

Bryce.

CraigsBar

Quote from: CPC_Fan on 21:22, 11 March 15
Hi Bryce. I have a 3.5in external second drive, complete with ABBA switch and side switch on the cpc side. Unfortunately I don't have a HxC or a CPCBooster.

On the pc side I have a separate older pc, complete with a real 3.5in floppy drive and running windows xp.
Hi CPC_Fan,

I believe you have Parados installed internally right?

If so I can make you a copy of my "ROM Essentials" floppy. It's a romdos D1 3.5 inch disc containing the following...

Symbos v2.1
Parados
HxC
CPM Plus
CPM Expansion Roms
Arnor roms (Protext, Prospell, Promerge, Maxam etc..)
DosCopy & Crime
as well as a few games.

40 rom images totalling 714kb (of a 716kb disk) all ready to be programmed into your x-mem.

Just PM me to remind me of your address and I'll pop a copy in the post.

Craig

IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

CPC_Fan

Thanks for the info Bryce. I will have a look at ManageDsk. When I tried to have a go at making a dsk image in CPCdiskXP, I couldn't actually see how to do it, hence why I posted this thread.

CPC_Fan

Quote from: CraigsBar on 21:59, 11 March 15
Hi CPC_Fan,

I believe you have Parados installed internally right?

If so I can make you a copy of my "ROM Essentials" floppy. It's a romdos D1 3.5 inch disc containing the following...

Symbos v2.1
Parados
HxC
CPM Plus
CPM Expansion Roms
Arnor roms (Protext, Prospell, Promerge, Maxam etc..)
DosCopy & Crime
as well as a few games.

40 rom images totalling 714kb (of a 716kb disk) all ready to be programmed into your x-mem.

Just PM me to remind me of your address and I'll pop a copy in the post.

Craigc

Hi Craig

Yes your right, I do have Parados installed internally  :)

If you could make a send me a copy of your "ROM essentials disc, I would appreciate it. Will pm you my address shortly.

Just got to re flash my X-MEM first with the bug fix that you directed me to in another thread, so that I can get my 6128 to call up Parados with the |drive command.

CraigsBar

Quote from: CPC_Fan on 22:24, 11 March 15

Hi Craig

Yes your right, I do have Parados installed internally  :)

If you could make a send me a copy of your "ROM essentials disc, I would appreciate it. Will pm you my address shortly.

Just got to re flash my X-MEM first with the bug fix that you directed me to in another thread, so that I can get my 6128 to call up Parados with the |drive command.
parados works perfectly reading and writing high format discs even with the bug version of the lower and basic ROMs. It's just the format and copying tools that don't work.

TFM

Good that you have ParaDOS, maybe even VaraDOS... Here is my essentials if you want to call em that way.  ;)

http://futureos.cpc-live.com/files/ROManager_1.87.zip

Go to "ROMs" folder. You'll find what you need (except FutureOS).

The small 178 KB DSK contains VaraDOS, so you can read the others which are in Vortex Format, which can be read by VaraDOS, or better use X-DDOS for it (on DSK too).

TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

TFM

Quote from: Bryce on 21:33, 11 March 15
That's enough. I don't actually use CPCdiskXP although I think it's much the same, I use ManageDsk - CPCWiki to create a disk image with the ROMs I need and then write them to the 3.5in disk. Then you can load this directly on the CPC.

Bryce.

That's a very good way.  :)
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

CPC_Fan

Thanks for all the help and advice everyone. It's much appreciated.

@CraigsBar - Is there a way that I can call up Parados then, even with the bug lower and basic ROM's? Or can I just switch Parados in and it will automatically read and write to high format discs?

CraigsBar

Quote from: CPC_Fan on 23:02, 11 March 15
Thanks for all the help and advice everyone. It's much appreciated.

@CraigsBar - Is there a way that I can call up Parados then, even with the bug lower and basic ROM's? Or can I just switch Parados in and it will automatically read and write to high format discs?
it will read and write all supported formats perfectly once its active. It is literally just the format/copy/config tool that does not work.

CPC_Fan

CraigsBar

Quote from: CraigsBar on 23:19, 11 March 15
it will read and write all supported formats perfectly once its active. It is literally just the format/copy/config tool that does not work.
let me reply to myself....

If you boot the CPC with ESC held down the xmem will disable all roms except 0 and 7. So |drive will then launch parados successfully.

CPC_Fan

Thanks for the update Craig. I will give that a try when I next get a chance to play with the X-MEM for a while.