News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

464 / 6128 Keys interchangable?

Started by SimonG, 11:06, 03 March 22

Previous topic - Next topic

SimonG

Hi guys,

Quick question, can I replace the main letter and punctualtion keys on a 6128 (whose keys transfers have faded badly) with the keys from a 464?

Thanks in advance
Simon

Bryce

No, not really. First off, there's more than one type of 464 keyboard (tall and flatter keys). Secondly, the curve/slop of the keyboards are different between models.

Bryce.

SerErris

Not really,

the first gen CPC has a complete different Mechanics and the third Gen has a foil keyboard (as the 6128 ) but the same keys as the first gen. They keys in general are higher/taller than the 6128 keys and will look goofy at least in the keyboard.

Maybe that would be something for a 3d printing project?

A lot of information you find here ...
https://www.cpcwiki.eu/index.php/Keyboard_Versions
Proud owner of 2 Schneider CPC 464, 1 Schneider CPC 6128, GT65 and lots of books
Still learning all the details on how things work.

SimonG

Quote from: Bryce on 08:37, 04 March 22No, not really.

No not really, or no not possible?

I need around 10 keays for a 6128 who's transfers have faded to the point where you cant see the lettering at all. 

3D Printing this amount will look odd, so that means 3D printing all of them, which is not an option.

Obtaining a dead 6128 keyboard with decent keys is like looking for a Dodo! So thats another option off the table.

If the 464 keys fit, then at least I can use it for the time being while I look out for an alternative.

Or if anyone else has some other ideas?

Thanks in advance

eto

I had the same issue... 
1) every now and then keyboards or dead 6128 show up on Ebay. Also check out Ebay.de as the German keyboard versions are identical to UK.
2) try to find transfer letters. Decadry has some transfer letters that are very close to the Amstrad font (https://www.amazon.co.uk/Decadry-Letters-UPPER-Transfers-Sheet/dp/B06XJKTXZK - out of stock unfortunately). The most complicated part is to apply them perfectly. Take your time for that. If done perfectly it's (imho) barely recognisable and much better than faded letters on the keys.
3D printed keys are not an option. They always look ugly and you still don't have the letters printed on them. 

SerErris

Quote from: SimonG on 10:52, 04 March 22
Quote from: Bryce on 08:37, 04 March 22No, not really.

No not really, or no not possible?

If you look here at this picture, you see the difference in the three key types. So the late CPC464 keys might fit, but still the overall appearance would be goofy. 

The FLAT keys are found on dual-foil keyboards (CPC 6128, CPC Plus, and late CPC 464)
Proud owner of 2 Schneider CPC 464, 1 Schneider CPC 6128, GT65 and lots of books
Still learning all the details on how things work.

SimonG

Thanks SerErris, much appreciated.