Powering up CPC6128 Issue (Switch screen on AFTER Keyboard)

Started by greeno76, 13:26, 06 May 20

Previous topic - Next topic

greeno76

Hi,

I've searched this fabulous fountain of CPC knowledge for an issue matching mine and I've found some interesting info but nothing that quite addresses this directly. I'd really appreciate any thoughts on this.

Allow me to attempt to describe the issue:

My CPC6128 was taking quite a long time for it to power-up fully. When I switched the screen on there was the usual indication of life. I would then switch on the keyboard unit itself and it could take up to a couple of minutes for the LED to illuminate and the blue/yellow boot screen to display.

This morning, following the same procedure, the machine never reached the LED on and boot screen state at all - ~15-20mins.
As per some useful advice I found from another thread on here, I checked that the switch on the keyboard unit is working with a multimeter. It is working.

Then, after a bit of fiddling, I noticed that the whole thing boots up fine when the keyboard unit switch is already on and then Screen switch is turned on. This seems to be consistent behavior and is a workaround of sorts. However, I'm concerned that the root cause of this issue may be causing harm elsewhere.

My first thoughts are that this is related to power supply and it needing a bit of a spike in voltage to charge up some capacitors somewhere. Does anyone has some more informed ideas?

Any help appreciated!

Many thanks,

Jason

Bryce

Try changing the electrolytic capacitor directly begind the power socket. Also check that there are no dry or broken solder joints on the power socket.

Bryce.