General Category > Technical Support

Can I convert a PCW disc to a CPC format?

(1/3) > >>

Mark_wllms:
I have an old version of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, which runs under CPM. The disc can't be used normally on a CPC because it is in PCW format, but can be read and run via a PD program, so I can use it. However, I can't copy off the files. Is there any way I can change the disc format (e.g. the sector numbers) so that the CPC will read it?

GeoffB17:
Unfortunately, while the PCW can read/access the CPC format (with the different sector numbering etc) I understand that the CPC cannot go the other way.

If you can read the files off, I suggest that you copy the files off, and then write them back to a CPC format disk.

I've got the HHGTTG system for my PCW, I understand that the game was supplied for CP/M, Amstrad, without regard to PCW or CPC, and the intention was that the files be copied from the master disk to a working copy and run from there.   There is no copy protection as such.   Infocom protect that sort of thing with the various physical extras supplied with the package, the 'feelies' etc!

Can you try this?

What's the PD program you refer to?  Can it NOT copy the files off?

Another edit - I've just dug out my original disk for the prog, and I note that it is NOT a PCW disk, it seems to be a generic CP/M disk, and may be akin to one of the CPC formats (as that can be accessed OK on the PCW).   What disk do you have?   Maybe you've got a specifically PCW copy?   If that's the case, we'll need to see how to get back?

Geoff

Prodatron:

--- Quote from: Mark_wllms on 20:25, 20 October 21 ---I have an old version of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, which runs under CPM. The disc can't be used normally on a CPC because it is in PCW format, but can be read and run via a PD program, so I can use it. However, I can't copy off the files. Is there any way I can change the disc format (e.g. the sector numbers) so that the CPC will read it?

--- End quote ---
SymbOS can read and write SD 3" discs from a PCW in a native way. If you have a CPC with two disc drives or better with an additional mass storage device, you could run SymbOS and copy the files from a PCW disc to an AMSDOS disc by using SymCommander or the SymShell copy command.

Mark_wllms:
Symbos sounds useful. Can it write to USB storage on a USIFAC card?

ComSoft6128:
This should be of help to you:

https://cpcrulez.fr/applications_disc-form3.htm

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version