News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Colour CTM640 Amstrad CPC 464 Monitor Cleaning.

Started by matabhaine, 14:28, 07 January 17

Previous topic - Next topic

matabhaine

I want to clean out my newly purchased CTM640 Amstrad CPC 464 monitor (the inside). I am aware of the dangers and I am not attempting any thing miticulous, I just want to give the dust a blast of compressed air to clear the crap out and a quick brush with a long wooden handled artist brush to loosen up any remaining dust. If any one has any tips, suggestions or reasons whyI should maybe desist; then let me know. I know a monitor can hold a charge for a long time and can implode if hit hard enough but like I said I have no intention of putting my fingers any where near it, just a quick burst with compressed air.

Kind Regards.
Matt.

danielj

The only problem with compressed air is static... Vacuum is probably more appropriate. I'm just about to post the inside of my CTM640 in another thread - I think the only thing that can save it is the dishwasher....

d.

Bryce

Dishwashers destroy electronics. Canned compressed air is available for exactly the purpose that you want to use it for.

Bryce.

matabhaine

Thanx Bryce, I was wondering what that first post was even about.

danielj

I was joking about the dishwasher :D  (and meant that mine looks like it needs to go through one, apologies if that wasn't clear) - although depending on the components present, it's very similar to the actual treatment a PCB during manufactured to get rid of all the flux.

matabhaine

I have just discovered a new way to hurt yourself (maybe quite seriously) when working with an open CRT monitor... not making sure the flex is well stashed out of the way of your big feet. Epic fail.
So should I attempt compressed air now that I have brushed the inside clean (all the white parts now look white again) I do not have a vacuum that blows air.

1024MAK

Use the vacuum on err the vacuum mode.

Mark
Looking forward to summer in Somerset :-)

Bryce

Quote from: danielj on 15:42, 07 January 17
I was joking about the dishwasher :D  (and meant that mine looks like it needs to go through one, apologies if that wasn't clear) - although depending on the components present, it's very similar to the actual treatment a PCB during manufactured to get rid of all the flux.

Commercial cleaning is done with an alcohol / ionised water mixture in a machine that was never used as a dishwasher. Dishwashers will always have salt in them that will dry under the components and start eating away at the PCB. The PCB will work at first  but die later and be unrepairable.

@matabhaine: If it's really crusty, I usually use a paintbrush dipped in Isopropanol to clean the PCB.

Bryce.

ivarf

Quote from: danielj on 15:23, 07 January 17
The only problem with compressed air is static... Vacuum is probably more appropriate. I'm just about to post the inside of my CTM640 in another thread - I think the only thing that can save it is the dishwasher....

d.

I would be very careful joking when discussing anything concerning safety or the possible destruction of hardware.

matabhaine

Not aimed at anyone but I don't really like cryptic remarks.
@Bryce Thanks for your further comment.
@ivarf that's exactly what I thought at the time (sometimes humour is lost over the Internet) but even when playing it safe, I managed to trip head first over the flex. My thoughts then turned to the wiring of the plug.
On a good note, the components look really new, the board just had a lot of dust and I don't like messing about with anything unless I get a few expert comments behind me. I am going to let it reach room temp, upstairs, then switch it on, monitor first and monitor last, as I remember.
Thanx again to everyone for their help.

danielj

It really wasn't meant to be cryptic, and I'm genuinely sorry if it was taken as such. I think, as you say, it got lost in translation :(

To rephrase: "The inside of my monitor's so dirty, I think the only hope for it might be running it through the dishwasher."

Anyway, it sounds like you're all set.