News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

CPC 464 Reset Button & Certain Games

Started by mark_htfc, 19:25, 25 January 17

Previous topic - Next topic

mark_htfc

Hey all,

I wasn't sure what to put as the title thread, and I didn't want to put it in either hardware or software as my question covers both.

Firstly, when I bought my 464, it was in brilliant condition but the only thing that did not work was the 'reset' button for the timer, is this an easy fix that doesn't involve soldering? I have never done soldering before so I don't want to run the risk off breaking the Amstrad if it isn't an easyish fix, as it is something I can easily live without working, but it would be nice to have everything fully functional.

Finally, in regards to some of the tapes I have, if say for example the game does not load, or it find errors, does this mean that the tape is dead and needs throwing? Or is there a way to fix tapes to try and get them to work? I have a couple that won't load, and one that does load but seems to crash on the loading screen right near the end.

Cheers in advance

Mark

Bryce

Hi Mark,
     if the tape counter button is broken off then you will need to replace the whole counter mechanism. If the button is there but just not doing its job then you'll need to open it up and see why. The counter and reset is completely mechanical, so no soldering will be required, just nimble fingers and good eyes.

As for tapes not loading: They may just have come to the end of their life and then there's not much you can do. However, sometimes the tapes are just a bit stiff because the tape is no longer aligned inside its case. Try fast forwarding the tape to the very end and then rewinding it all the way back to the start and try loading it again, sometimes this works wonders.

Bryce.

mark_htfc

Thanks for the response Bryce,

The counter itself works perfectly (counting up and down), the button is what doesn't work, it is slightly to an angle so I am guessing that might be why. If I open it up, do I have a bit of leeway with the wires, or do I need to separate the parts carefully to see what's inside? I know some consoles I've opened before all vary on how much give this have with the wires being connectors to both parts.

I will try that with the tapes when I come across any problems and hopefully it will do the trick.

Thanks again

Bryce

You'll have the flat cable to the keyboard and a small 2 wire connection to the LED. They give you some space, but I'd recommend you unplug them while you are inspecting the counter. The flat cable is very easy to damage, so disconnecting is safer. You also have to eject/open the lid of the tapedeck before you lift the lid, otherwise you can damage the latch.

Bryce.