News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

CPC 6128 Floppy drive (EME-156) problem

Started by timovo, 06:36, 08 January 21

Previous topic - Next topic

timovo

Hi,

I've got one drive that doesn't seem to be reading disks. These disks work fine in another CPC's drive.
I wonder if anybody would have some ideas what to try next.
So, I'm simply trying cat -command which results disk spinning and head moving a few times
(same behaviour as I've had with another drive when it had a head alignment problem) but in the end
it gives the "Drive A: read fail, Retry, ignore or  Cancel".

Done so far:
- Changed the belt (it was broken) and cleaned the residue with IPA & cotton swaps
- Cleaned the drive head with IPA & cotton swap
- Checked the RPM -> it was ~306 so, I adjusted it to ~299.8rpm
- lubricated the rails
- Tried to change the head motor alignment (small change, cat, small change, cat ...) with no success
- Resoldered / flowed the solder joints in the drive PCB that seemed suspicious ... and even most of the one that seemed ok
- soldered wires on TP1 (and TP2) on the PCB and monitored with an old 10MHz scope while issuing cat command,
  repeated this several times and after each time slightly rotated the head stepper motor to change the alignment.
   --> no activity on the lines - lines stay at 2.6V... well, I can see the interference on the lines when the head motor is moving but that is all.
- removed the head assembly to verify that the wires from PCB to head seemed still to be attached to the head ok
- Tried another floppy drive in this CPC  6128 to be 100% sure that the problem is in the drive
  --> that another drive worked just fine
- Erased one floppy with a quite thorough magnet treatment (magnet from an old hard disk) and formatted it with MultiMark on this drive.
  Note: I loaded the multimark from drive B (Gotek) in case someone is wondering.
  --> Verification failed on in Multimark after it had formatted the floppy
  --> reading disk directory with cat also gave the same results as before

Bryce

You've pretty much covered everything there. The drive head may be broken.

Bryce.

timovo

Yes, I suppose you may be right...
Perhaps this would be a perfect opportunity to put an internal Gotek in this CPC.
-Timo

Bryce

You can send it to me for confirmation (or repair) if you like.

Bryce.

timovo

Thanks very much for your kind offer Bryce!
I'll probably keep the drive for spares for now since it is not my only one.
-Timo

gerald

Comming late to the party  ;)

I'll second Bryce and adding that it can also be a head preamp failure.
On this version of the drive a swap of the main PCB is relatively easy with exception of the track0 sensor which is better de-soldered rather than unmounted (it's a pain to re-align properly).
That would tell you if the head are OK or not.

Audronic

@timovo

Just a thought, with a blank (magnetically erased disk "using a magnet") just try to format the disk and see what happens ????
and if that passes try a "CAT"

Good luck

Keep Safe

Ray
Procrastinators Unite,
If it Ain't Broke PLEASE Don't Fix it.
I keep telling you I am Not Pedantic.
As I Live " Down Under " I Take my Gravity Tablets and Wear my Magnetic Boots to Keep me from Falling off.

Bryce

Quote from: Audronic on 22:28, 08 January 21
@timovo

Just a thought, with a blank (magnetically erased disk "using a magnet") just try to format the disk and see what happens ??? ?
and if that passes try a "CAT"

Good luck

Keep Safe

Ray

Using a magnet isn't necessary. Just standard reformatting and testing will tell you whether it's just a calibration issue.

Bryce.

Audronic

@Bryce

The reason for the Use of the magnet is assure that you are not being fooled by existing format information on the disk.
and what you are reading back is your New format info and not Old info.
This is the method That have used for some decades.

Thanks for the thought

Keep Safe

Happy new Year

Ray
Procrastinators Unite,
If it Ain't Broke PLEASE Don't Fix it.
I keep telling you I am Not Pedantic.
As I Live " Down Under " I Take my Gravity Tablets and Wear my Magnetic Boots to Keep me from Falling off.

timovo

Thanks for suggestions!
I tried the magnet & formatting -method. Updated the original message with the result.
-Timo