News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

[Resolved] CPC 6128 shutting down after some time.

Started by m_dr_m, 09:33, 16 January 21

Previous topic - Next topic

m_dr_m

Hi! I guess my CPC is getting a bit old (or maybe that's the MP-2F module I use to power it).

It works well, but shutdowns from time to time, where:
* shutdown means: dead CPC (even the hard reset is inactive), but the red light is still on!
* time to time: Apparently, more frequent when switching screen (i.e. new screen dimension and/or new palette) !?!  Or maybe it's just that when switching to those screens, there is a tight loop waiting for a key.  ???

Context: CPC 6128 (powered by MP-2F) with X-Mem, X-Mass, MF II (all on mother X4 powered by external supply). Had this configuration for years, but problem is recent.

I couldn't find any similar problem on the wiki. And I don't have a CTM for testing.
By the way, a pinned post with a link to most frequent hardware problems and/or diagnostic diagram would be neat.

Cheers.

Bryce

Hi,

Haven't heard of that happening before either, but it could be a powersupply issue. The regulator in the MP2 has thermal shutoff protection and might be getting too hot. Monitor the voltage of the 5V rail until it happens again and see if the rail is dropping too low when it's hot.

Bryce.

m_dr_m

Thank you Bryce for the quick suggestion.

Thanks to TotO's remote hand placement, the culprit was found: the double CRTC mod!
(made by an Overlanders! members wishing to remain anonymous --well, most Ovl crew is now...).
When I switch to CTRC 0, no more issue.
So I guess the CRTC 1 cabling must be defective.

Happy new year.

Bryce

Good that you found the issue. You should have mentioned in the first post that it had such a major mod done to it.

Bryce.

m_dr_m

Ahah true! Honestly I completely forgot about it, otherwise I would have checked that in the first place!