News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

CPC464 noob with refurbish questions

Started by PixRetro, 13:36, 14 April 20

Previous topic - Next topic

PixRetro

Hi guys...
New to the forum and new to cpcs...
I managed to bag a couple of untested 464s with the view of cobbling together 1 complete working on... Turns out all 3 work!
Well... They turn on and go to the basic prompt!
My questions are these...
Is there anything to look out for that may damage / destroy the boards over time? Like batteries?Is there a list of caps or frequently faulty parts to replace?Is there anywhere I can get spare keyboard keys from?What basic but modernising mods are available? I.e. MP3 loaders and suchAnd does retrobrite work for dull keys?
Thanks.. even posts to other threads would help if you don't want to type up loads... 😉
Just seeing how the other side lives as normally a speccy man...

Gryzor

Welcome!

-no batteries, no caps that routinely fail (though I'm sure others may suggest switching some :D).
-no keycaps source unfortunately, just dead machines.
-addons - phew! http://www.cpcwiki.eu/index.php/DIY
-I don't think Retrobrite will have a significant result with the white of the letters on the keycaps...

Again, welcome :)

PixRetro

Thanks for the responses..
Good to hear they seem pretty sturdy... Shame about the keycaps... That's the biggest issue I have.. 😁
Will have a dig through the list of mods!
Thanks again!

Animalgril987

Best thing I've found for cleaning the keys is industrial denatured alcohol, rubbed on sparingly with a cotton bud.
It's worked splendidly on mine, where the small enter key had so much grime, it was almost totally black. ( The machine was a rescue off eBay, and with a little tlc, and some replacement parts for the tape deck, is working perfectly, with an "active" RGB scart cable and psu from Coolnovelties driving a Bush 19" flat screen TV)

Spud211

Quote from: PixRetro on 23:34, 14 April 20
Thanks for the responses..
Good to hear they seem pretty sturdy... Shame about the keycaps... That's the biggest issue I have.. 😁
Will have a dig through the list of mods!
Thanks again!

Depending on where you are, there are keycaps available on ebay...there is a particular seller in the UK who seems to be able to supply any you like - but they are expensive (he's charging £5 a key!).  May be worth it if you only need one, but otherwise I see junk keyboards or completely dead CPCs appear on ebay for £20-£30 - so they are not impossible to scavenge.  Just make sure you get the right type of key that matches your model

Bryce

Quote from: Spud211 on 15:46, 07 February 21
Depending on where you are, there are keycaps available on ebay...there is a particular seller in the UK who seems to be able to supply any you like - but they are expensive (he's charging £5 a key!).  May be worth it if you only need one, but otherwise I see junk keyboards or completely dead CPCs appear on ebay for £20-£30 - so they are not impossible to scavenge.  Just make sure you get the right type of key that matches your model

I wouldn't support that idiot under any circumstances by buying parts from him. He seems to be buying and dis-assembling perfectly good, working vintage computers to make a profit. He's got at least 3x 464's being sold in parts at the moment, plus many Spectrums and Amigas.

Bryce.

Spud211

Fair enough you are right!  Can't argue with that, would much rather save these machines than have them split for parts too.