News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

CPC464 wont load some games but does others

Started by richcheckmate, 13:39, 20 June 21

Previous topic - Next topic

richcheckmate

Hi all,
       my CPC464 seems to load the amsoft games...Harrier attack, roland on the ropes/caves etc, but it wont load others.   I have noticed that the ones that I have here that struggle to load are the types of games that have a flashing border around them while loading.  Does any one have any ideas?

It sounds ok when loading just doesnt

thanks in advance

Rich

Gryzor

richcheckmate

Hi, thanks for the idea, I will have a look

thanks

Gryzor

Always useful: "Azimuth Head Alignment Tape - CPCWiki" https://www.cpcwiki.eu/index.php/Azimuth_Head_Alignment_Tape

Last time I needed to I used this one as I did 35 years ago. Are there more modern solutions?

richcheckmate

Hi, thanks a million Gryaor, I have altered the " azimuth screw" and hey presto they are loading.  Probably not perfect but the testing continues.

Many thanks for your help

Gryzor

Glad I could help.

I remember having real trouble, back in the day, loading Capcom titles (US Gold? I don't remember). I kinda knew if it was a Capcom title I could not play it😓

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: Gryzor on 19:11, 20 June 21
Glad I could help.

I remember having real trouble, back in the day, loading Capcom titles (US Gold? I don't remember). I kinda knew if it was a Capcom title I could not play it😓

Aaaah the Alkatrazz cassette protection. A complete bitch to load from tape unless your azimuth is tweaked to perfection. Even if the tape got the slightest crease (from being stuck on play if you forgot to press stop) could screw it up. I remember Strider straight out refusing to load one day back in 1990. Pissed me off because I was still working towards finishing it!
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

Gryzor

Oh wow, I never saw anyone else confirming it in all these years! Nice to see I was not the only one, I guess? 😂

I remember that by then I could afford a few original games so it pissed me off greatly. In the end I found an azimuth that worked only with those releases, mostly, and became expert in fine tuning the thing by ear.

Oh the things we did.