News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Crazy idea for a RS232 mod?

Started by martin464, 11:46, 25 October 22

Previous topic - Next topic

martin464

Hello, i've lurked on and off just pulled the CPC out the attic (for my son but now I've got hooked again)

Could someone tell me if this idea I had would work?

Using the joystick and printer port you could send and receive 8 bits at a time
Joystick (up/down/left/right + 3 fires), that's 7 inputs + the printer ready signal is your 8 for receiving
The printers 7 bits + the joystick ground is your 8 for sending
I believe the joystick ground's can be software selected to power stick 1 or 2 and act as another output?

You have the printer strobe for some control over it

Then you'd have a pcb that serialises the 8 bits and have it all software controlled direct to a modem
Maybe, what's the point, but I like the idea of it not being an expansion device

Technically feasible?!
Or is there some gotcha that would doom it
CPC 464 - 212387 K31-4Z

"One essential object is to choose that arrangement which shall tend to reduce to a minimum the time necessary for completing the calculation." Ada Lovelace

WacKEDmaN

Noel made a "hypeloader" for tapes on an arduino via the printer port... using the busy pin as input...

you could use one of the output pins through a serial in/parallel out shift register to get 8bits out in parallel
and the busy pin input coming from the single output of a serial out/parallel in shift register...to get ya data back in..
and the strobe pin to switch direction...

dont quote me tho..im a noob when it comes to addons! :P

Bryce

Sounds all possible, but why? There are enough RS232 designs and devices available that offer RS232 directly from the expansion port and already have supporting software available.

Bryce.

martin464

I think to be awkward and difficult?! I seem to have acquired a speciality in this area!

But in my dream setup I have removed the tape drive and installed the DDI-1 PCB in there and plunked in a 512k PCB as well in the space. The expansion port isn't free any more. It has the DDI-1 snaking back inside and glued to the connector is a new port for the floppy drive. Then the whole thing is self-contained except for the external floppy. No worries about jiggling something and crashing the system, which I have done just with a DDI-1 plugged in before

So it's a cheap way to add a modem without disturbing the expansions. I thought it might be cheap to make as well I don't know, but between the software control and the modem the interface might not need to do too much
CPC 464 - 212387 K31-4Z

"One essential object is to choose that arrangement which shall tend to reduce to a minimum the time necessary for completing the calculation." Ada Lovelace

Bryce

Even with a DDI-1 inside, it's possible to keep the expansion port free for additional expansions as they (almost) all connect in parallel.

Bryce.

GUNHED

Doable, yes
Effort, too high (lots of precise times software needed)
Solution, USIfAC  :)
http://futureos.de --> Get the revolutionary FutureOS (Update: 2023.11.30)
http://futureos.cpc-live.com/files/LambdaSpeak_RSX_by_TFM.zip --> Get the RSX-ROM for LambdaSpeak :-) (Updated: 2021.12.26)