General Category > Technical Support

Does anyone have more information on 6 MHz CPC?

<< < (8/8)

TFM:

--- Quote from: SRS on 23:39, 16 February 16 ---From my point of view ...

TFM wrote the "some ... 50%", which is correct. 16,x% was from Fano. Which seems not correct to most of us.

Either it is 50% or it crashes.

So if you define SOME as 0,1 to 100 %, it is correct.PulkoMandystated this earlier. SOME will work 50% faster, SOME will crash. NO ONE will work at 16,6xxx ... until you proof it.

No reason to get picky on each other ... go back to lab and gimme a 4 GHz CPC !

SO - delete "fast DRAM" and "16,xx" from WIKI and the text will be more correct

--- End quote ---

That's absolutely right. And I got no idea if different CPCs used different RAM chips or not, it may be one issue, the GA or CRTC may be another one. Ok, working on the 4 GHz CPC now... tell you first results in 2086 or so.  ;)

ukmarkh:
I'm sure if we all met for a beer, we'd laff about all this, and design a super CPC  :laugh:

gerald:

--- Quote from: SRS on 23:39, 16 February 16 ---TFM wrote the "some ... 50%", which is correct. 16,x% was from Fano. Which seems not correct to most of us.

--- End quote ---
No, TFM changed

--- Code: ---This speed improvement is 16.66667%.This has been tested with this simple program
--- End code ---
to

--- Code: --- Some CPCs (manufactured with fast DRAMs) show a increase of speed by 50% (verified with at least one CPC6128 produced 1987).
 In case of the older DRAM type the speed improvement is only 16.7%

--- End code ---
While he should have just change to

--- Code: ---This speed improvement is 50%.This has been tested with this simple program (verified with one CPC6128)
--- End code ---

Everything else is just wrong.
And this section is not discussing the success rate of the modification.

--- Quote from: TFM on 23:48, 16 February 16 ---And I got no idea if different CPCs used different RAM chips or not, it may be one issue, the GA or CRTC may be another one.

--- End quote ---
You got no idea, but by stating that it gives 50% more speed on CPC with faster DRAM and also stating that slower DRAM will result in less performance gain, you just build a theory to explain why fano get on 17% :
- my cpc has fast DRAM and can run 50%. Fano only get 17% so he must have slower DRAM.

CPC use 200ns / 150ns or even 120ns, but you can check on the motherboard page that the speed in not function of production year.
150ns can be found on early 464 as well as pre-asic 6128. 120ns is mainly use on the plus range.

Now, let fix that page do something more interesting  ;)

SRS:
While he should have just change to

--- Code: ---This speed improvement is 50%.This has been tested with this simple program (verified with one CPC6128)
--- End code ---

Well, is there NO WIKI-Admin that could change it , now ?

TFM:
What I changed happened in agreement with others back the day. I'm not just deleting a value which I can not prove right or wrong. Please everybody feel free to improve the article.  :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version