News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

EME-150A Disc missing

Started by angelcaio, 16:56, 19 March 20

Previous topic - Next topic

angelcaio

I have a problem with an EME-150A
It said "disc missing" on every disk access with a horrible noise.
I have opened it and the belt looked like it was a filthy mass. I have cleaned the remains with alcohol and put a new one.
No longer making noise, just normal noise on a floppy drive, but still giving "disc missing" error
That could be happening?

Thanks in advance

Bryce

Either the head motor has given up (quite common on the 150 and unfortunately non-repairable) or it needs to be calibrated or it has dry joints or....
Many things can go wrong with these, hard to say without seeing it.

Bryce.

GUNHED

Ist the pin still there?
http://futureos.de --> Get the revolutionary FutureOS (Update: 2023.11.30)
http://futureos.cpc-live.com/files/LambdaSpeak_RSX_by_TFM.zip --> Get the RSX-ROM for LambdaSpeak :-) (Updated: 2021.12.26)

Bryce

A missing pin gives a write-protect error. Disk missing errors come from the ready signal not being set.

Bryce.

angelcaio

I opened the floppy drive again. I turned the pulley several times with my finger and it screeched. I lubricated it with a bit of WD40 until it stopped squeaking and reassembled everything.
Now it reads, writes, and displays the directory, though only with certain disks.

Bryce

The other disks may just be bad?

Bryce.

angelcaio

The floppys are from a lot I bought on ebay two years ago. Hardly two or three worked and the rest "repaired" marking the bad tracks with tbh disc repair. So they are not very reliable ...
I'll test the floppiys on 6128 when I have access to it

tjohnson

Have you run the rpm program on it to check the rotation speed?  Should be 300rpm

angelcaio

Quote from: tjohnson on 15:16, 21 March 20
Have you run the rpm program on it to check the rotation speed?  Should be 300rpm
yes. returns values ​​between 299.26 and 299.34