News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

External 12V cable broken

Started by Lardo Boffin, 11:49, 09 May 21

Previous topic - Next topic

Lardo Boffin

Hello all

I recently got a spare 6128 for a reasonable price (untested) and it works apart from the external 12V cable - when I got it the disc drive didn't work so after a bit of swapping around and plugging in an external drive I found it was the 12V cable. I borrowed the cable from my main 6128 and the drive worked fine.

Does anyone in the UK sell these?

If a replacement is not possible then what are the options? Would a gotek work ok as it only needs 5V? Given that they seem to be around £50 to £60 on a popular auction site are there any cheaper options?

Thanks!

Amstrad CPC6128
Loads of other 8 bit stuff

eto

I have never seen spare parts like this being sold. But you probably can make a replacement cable easily. The connectors are standard parts and can be bought in the usual electronic shops or even on Ebay. Just make sure that the central pin of the 12V connector is negative (GND) while the outer barrel is +12V. Check here for details: http://www.cpcwiki.eu/index.php/Power_Supply_for_CPC_and_CPC_plus

GOTEK is also an option. You don't need the 12V then anymore. If you want it cheaper, you have to make one your own. Get a Gotek, flash it with the FlashFloppy firmware and make a little adapter for the floppy cable. And you will also need a 3d printed caddy to fit it into the drive bay. If you don't have a printer, you can get them from Ebay. Honestly, if you need to buy every part, it probably is not worth it to make it yourself.

Lardo Boffin

Thanks Eto. The cable should be straight forward it was the grommet / strain relief part I wasn't sure about.
Amstrad CPC6128

Bryce

I think I still have a couple of original spares. I'll check and let you know.

Bryce.

Lardo Boffin

Quote from: Bryce on 15:51, 09 May 21
I think I still have a couple of original spares. I'll check and let you know.

Bryce.

Thanks!
Amstrad CPC6128

Bryce

Quote from: Lardo Boffin on 18:21, 10 May 21

Thanks!

I found one... but it seems to be broken too?? I'll check it closer later, maybe just a dodgy terminal.

Bryce.

Lardo Boffin

Having had this CPC kill my original disc drive I have had to sell it (full disclosure of its faults) to get funds to replace my disc drive. So much for a spare...
Amstrad CPC6128