News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Newbie advice

Started by Sidney, 13:04, 14 May 17

Previous topic - Next topic

Sidney

I recently bought a Schneider Cpc with Mp1 from eBay and am really enjoying it, I also purchased a scart and psu set and naturally that is my preferred method of Cpc display. Browsing through the manual I noticed that in setting up the computer you have to turn the monitor on first then the computer, reading ChinnyVisions buyers guide to the Cpc said the same and also when turning the machine off it's-computer off first then the monitor.

To most of you here I'm sure it's second nature and I apologise for even asking but does the same turning on/off protocol apply when you have the machine connected to a CRT/HDTV? I wouldn't like to damage the computer or tv in any way by doing something as negligent as turning it on or off in the wrong order. With my other 8bit systems that connect to tv's out of the box this isn't an issue, what should I do or not do with the Cpc in this regard. Or am I right in assuming that as my machine isn't hooked up to a monitor that provides its power that this isn't an issue with the Cpc either?
Once again apologies for asking what must seem a silly question!

Shaun M. Neary

It won't matter with the CRT end of things as your power is coming from the PSU plugged directly into the power supply, whereas the power from the CPC used to be generated from the CPC's monitor.
Personally, I used to do it in all sorts of orders back in the day and it didn't make any major difference.

So in my honest opinion, there was never any need for panic anyway, but because you've a standalone PSU for the Amstrad now, the TV is no longer a factor.  :)
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

Bryce

They used to advise this because PSUs can be known to spike above their intended voltage in the moment you turn it on. By turning on the monitor first, you give the PSU output voltage time to settle before you expose the voltage to any sensitive ICs.

Bryce.

Sidney

Thank you as ever to you both for the quality advice. I have spent a good few hours this afternoon on the Cpc and have only just looked in on the forum but .......you guys are quick to respond and for that I'm grateful!