News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

help! Flash ROM 40015 CPC 664

Started by willow3411, 14:27, 13 May 23

Previous topic - Next topic

willow3411

Help ! Hello everyone
I have a T48 programmer and use the XGpro 12.55 program.
I have a cpc 664 and I would like to flash the 40015 ROM (amdos if I'm not mistaken).
i am using winbond 27c257-10 eeproms
I would like to know the flash procedure because I can't manage it.
I think I took the correct file ( OS_644.rom ) from the wiki, but I feel like my ROM is not recognized on the CPC.
my dandanator can't find it.
if you can help me that would be great.
Thanks for reading me.
willow3411

TotO

Well, I will take a look into my parts. May be I have the real ROM circuit for your 664.
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

willow3411

Quote from: TotO on 14:56, 13 May 23Well, I will take a look into my parts. May be I have the real ROM circuit for your 664.
THANKS
but the file present on the wiki is not good?

willow3411

TotO

I don't know at all.
"You make one mistake in your life and the internet will never let you live it down" (Keith Goodyer)

eto

OS_644 is the firmware, not AMSDOS. You have to download the AMSDOS ROM from the Wiki page.

Also your EPROM can store 32KB and AMSDOS is only 16KB, so to avoid any surprise, burn it twice to the lower and higher part of the EPROM.

willow3411

Quote from: eto on 16:46, 13 May 23OS_644 is the firmware, not AMSDOS. You have to download the AMSDOS ROM from the Wiki page.

Also your EPROM can store 32KB and AMSDOS is only 16KB, so to avoid any surprise, burn it twice to the lower and higher part of the EPROM.
OK
Thanks, I'm starting to understand.
how can i flash a rom on my 27c257?
and amsdos it's the 0.5 ?
and should it be mounted with the resistors and the switch like the Bryce tutorial?
thanks

Bryce

I don't know the XGPro software, but most flash software has a verify command. Does the chip verify properly after programming?
And have you filled the entire IC with two images or just one? If you only programmed half of the chip, the CPC is stilll looking at the empty half.

Bryce.

willow3411

Quote from: Bryce on 09:44, 14 May 23I don't know the XGPro software, but most flash software has a verify command. Does the chip verify properly after programming?
And have you filled the entire IC with two images or just one? If you only programmed half of the chip, the CPC is stilll looking at the empty half.

Bryce.
Hi !
I understand.
Yes, I only programmed one image, so half.
The software checks well. She is okay.
question how and which rom files to take to take and flash with two files?
thanks in advance
willow3411

eto

Take Amsdos 0.5 and copy it twice on the Eprom

If you are using Windows, open the command prompt in the folder, where you have the unzipped ROM file. 

Type

copy /b AMSDOS_0.5.ROM + AMSDOS_0.5.ROM Amsdostwice.rom

This will give you a 32K ROM file "Amsdostwice.rom", which you can burn with XGPro software to the Eprom.

willow3411

Quote from: eto on 16:15, 14 May 23Take Amsdos 0.5 and copy it twice on the Eprom

If you are using Windows, open the command prompt in the folder, where you have the unzipped ROM file.

Type

copy /b AMSDOS_0.5.ROM + AMSDOS_0.5.ROM Amsdostwice.rom

This will give you a 32K ROM file "Amsdostwice.rom", which you can burn with XGPro software to the Eprom.
hello !
Nice ! it's ok for me
thanks

Now that I understand how it works, it's better.
next step the keyboard cable (but that I know how to do).
the CPC does something weird to me from time to time: the reader makes a sound like saucepans :) .
the stepper motor is acting up. (but the games run fine)
I will check the welds at the level of the disc controller and the tablecloth.
What do you think ?

eto

Quote from: willow3411 on 18:10, 14 May 23the stepper motor is acting up. (but the games run fine)
I will check the welds at the level of the disc controller and the tablecloth.
What do you think ?
I'm not really sure what you mean (and probably can't help anyway - the disk drive is not my sweet spot).

It might be worth to make a short video (incl. sound) and put that into a new topic, so others can easily find it and try to help.

willow3411

Yes No problem.
I'll do some research on my side first and then I'll post a message.

Alphaone

Since my question is very similar. So does the firmware doesn't need to be loaded? Just the rom?

Also if you are burning the lower rom which file needs to be burned first. The basic rom or the operating system?

Rabs

Quote from: Alphaone on 13:36, 05 September 23Since my question is very similar. So does the firmware doesn't need to be loaded? Just the rom?

Also if you are burning the lower rom which file needs to be burned first. The basic rom or the operating system?
This is the command I used to create a 40022 ROM replacement for my 664

copy OS_664.ROM/b+BASIC_664.ROM/b ROM_664.ROM/b

The ROMs were taken from CPC Wiki ROM List.

I used an AM27256DC EPROM.

SerErris

Quote from: Alphaone on 13:36, 05 September 23Since my question is very similar. So does the firmware doesn't need to be loaded? Just the rom?

There are two ROMs in the 665.

The Firmware/Basic ROM (32k)
And the AMSDOS ROM (16k).

This particular ROM is just the AMSDOS and it is independent on the Firmware/Basic.
Proud owner of 2 Schneider CPC 464, 1 Schneider CPC 6128, GT65 and lots of books
Still learning all the details on how things work.