Help with 6128 disc drive - in words of one syllable please!

Started by Sheia, 20:52, 19 May 17

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheia

I got my 6128 out of the attic intending to list it, and my games and magazine collection, on ebay.  But I'm getting the dreaded "disc missing" error.

The drive belt is fine on it - I got a new one and managed to fit it thanks to the beautifully clear instructions on here - but there's no power to the drive.  So I googled around a bit, and now I'm wondering if the 12v fuse has blown.

Which sounds good, but this is the point where I confess that I have no idea what this fuse looks like, where it is, or how I go about obtaining a replacement!  Can anyone help?  Please?

Bryce

In one syllable words:  ::)

Hi,

12 volt rail has no fuse. Is LED on? Does disk turn at all? Parts on main board could be bad.

Bryce.

Sheia

Hi Bryce

LED is on.  Disc doesn't turn at all - no movement or sound.  Actual computer and monitor work fine.

Everything inside looked reasonably clean and connected when I took it apart - but saying that, i actually have no idea what it should look like anyway!

Thank you for answering  :)

Bryce

Have you a multimeter to check the 12V rail?

Bryce.

Gesendet von meinem Motorola DynaTAC 8000x mit Tapatalk

Sheia

Yes, if I turn out the garage I can probably find a multimeter - but I'm gonna need help finding the 12v rail!  (Sorry  :-[ )

Bryce

That's easy, on the 4 pin connector at the back of the drive, it's the two wires nearest to the flat cable connector.

Bryce.

Sheia

Ok, so if I put the multimeter on those points, i get a reading of 1183 - does that make sense?

Bryce

Well assuming that that's 11.83V and not 1183V it should be ok. My next guess would be that there are dry joints on the PCB.

Bryce.

Sheia

Ummm

Well, I had no idea what you were talking about here, but having put my trust in Google and Youtube again, I worked it out!

[/size][size=78%]So I've inspected the board carefully - taken a photo of it so I could zoom in in case my eyesight let me down - and to me all the little silver blobs look fine - shiny and round, with no greying or cracking.[/size]
[/size]
[/size][size=78%]I'm going to try to attach a photo here, because as you can probably tell, again I have no real idea what I'm looking for![/size]
[/size]
[/size][size=78%][attachimg=2][/size][/size][size=78%]                [/size]

Bryce

Yay for hi-res pictures....

These don't look great:

[attach=2]

Bryce.

Sheia

Right, I'm off to turn out the garage again. There's bound to be a soldering iron in there somewhere :)

And there's bound to be a youtube video on how to use it!

This is quite a learning curve.  Thank you for taking so much trouble for me  :-*

Bryce

If the curve gets too steep, you can always send it over for repair and recalibration.

Bryce.

Sheia

I asked a friend to show me how to solder - and he's taken it away saying he can do it better in his workshop.  Apparently the lighting in my kitchen isn't good enough  ::)

So I'm hoping he knows what he's doing - and I'll be back when it's back.

Thank you again