Known-working jumper assignment for TEAC FD-235HF-3240-U5 as B: on CPC6128plus?

Started by OCT, 05:51, 03 January 16

Previous topic - Next topic

OCT

Mentioned among the Drive Compatibility - CPCWiki "models of interest" (albeit without further information so far), Teac's 3240 has certainly one of the most versatile jumper fields, cf. blog.retrosynth.com: Fun with Akai MPC-60 floppy drives

I have currently set FG, BC1, AB3, AB4, E34, G34 (running out of jumpers to try G12 too which the Falcon seemed to require: Jumper settings for TEAC FD-235hf 3291 - Page 2 - Atari-Forum).

With a 10cm short cable rather similar to the DIY:Floppy Drives - CPCWiki multi-adaptor (as should be added there: notch key bump to be plugged facing downward on the external drive's pin header - which may not indicate this by a shroud or indented board),
I do get |B:cat to turn on the motor, but then "disc missing" in spite of the Ready-on-34 jumper AB4 set (so it should reach the CPC6128plus through the last connected Centronics pin 33).

Irreplaceable internal 3" drive disconnected during testing for "horror stories" of it getting fried by cable/compatibility issues abound.

To rule out a faulty 3.5" drive, does anyone have jumper settings known to work for the 3240 on the Plus,
possibly also preventing the drive's spin-up when the Plus is switched off (probably G12 for the latter) ?

pelrun

It looks like you've picked all the same jumper positions I'd have tried, although I'm not sure about the density or auto-recalibration ones.

The motor line is common to all drives, so it'll turn on regardless of which drive is selected.

Also, I thought the drive select pins were switched on the CPC, so try both DS0 and DS1 (actually, try them all in case they're really numbered oddly.) If you have F1-G1 bridged, you should be able to see from the LED when you get the right combination.

OCT

Quote from: pelrun on 06:21, 03 January 16It looks like you've picked all the same jumper positions I'd have tried, although I'm not sure about the density or auto-recalibration ones.

The motor line is common to all drives, so it'll turn on regardless of which drive is selected.
Yeah, Great Savings thanks to IBM, in a way the Amstrad of its day, except it would cut manufacturing costs to make computers... more expensive. ;)
QuoteAlso, I thought the drive select pins were switched on the CPC, so try both DS0 and DS1 (actually, try them all in case they're really numbered oddly.) If you have F1-G1 bridged, you should be able to see from the LED when you get the right combination.
Thanks for the swift reply.  :)

Modify PC floppy drives - CPCWiki documents a few models more (i.e. probably should be merged).

Actually having read up on decades of Drive Science,  ::) I wanted to (re)write some more on the subject when I get this running, as the information is currently spread across a number of Wiki articles and threads in many forums (several defunct), and often without the well-deserved dire warnings that were common when the Plus came out (and those who unlike me could afford one often damaged it in trying to connect drives).

Details including precise pictures (will add mine too) are crucial as (like for the power connector) Amstrad in particular dangerously did not agree on standards such as pin order and numbering. If the outcomes sound mind-bending, ??? it's because they are. (I already have an edit pending for "Guide on how to connect a 3.5", currently locked for database migration.)

So the cable connector on the external 3.5" drive, even if unshrouded, is considered to be a Pin header - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia as on http://hxc2001.com/download/floppy_drive_emulator/SDCard_HxC_Floppy_Emulator_User_Manual_ENG.pdf (which could use a special section regarding the Plus, where drive connections are one of the most hazardous operations in all IT  :o ) page 7 figure 3 with the keying notch (bump on plug) and hence Pin 1 on the bottom (unlike File:Stiftwanne2x13v2.jpg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia where the arrow indicates it on the notch side), i.e. all signals on the even, upper pins facing the printed circuit board (PCB).

The respective ports are detailled at:

• http://wired.hard.ru/data/pin_AmstradCPC6128PlusDiskdrive.shtml with numbering starting top right in the rear Centronics connector on the Plus  (cf. Plus Service Manual pages 16&17; since they are numbered left to right in the ribbon cable's plug, which crucially starts at the cable's pin 2 without connecting pin 1, i.e. Plus-side signals on the odd but again top, PCB-facing pins.
    N.B. except for pin 1 the molded left-to-right numbering by row on the cable's Centronics plug does not match the actual alternating (top odd, bottom even) numbering of pins, and DIY:Floppy Drives - CPCWiki calls them cavities even when referring to strands or pins.
So 11 NDSEL1 from the Plus itself as the 6th signal should go to 12 /DRVSB on the drive, which should hence be set to DS1, i.e. jumper BC1.
If 13 n/c on the Plus is correct (as ABBA switch - CPCWiki seems to confirm), 14 /DRVSA on the 3.5" drive should never be selected nor be able to conflict with the internal 3" drive.

OCT

Tested 3.5" drives without specific 4-digit number gives for the PCW:
3.5" TEAC-235HF -U (jumpers FG, 2-1-G, BC1, DE2 and CD3 on)
similar to the observation about Atari Falcon, but not what could be expected from "motor on when: (Motor ON AND LED on)".

BC1 is DS1 (B:).

DE2 would be "HD IN low is high density" (CPC unlikely to cope with HD anyway) and CD3 "density (HD OUT) output on pin 2" (n/c on CPC),
but E23 or E34 (as currently) not set though required at least for 3240.

However, contrary to the above & to our Wiki, the same page lists '3.5" TEAC FD-235HF xxx-U (xxx represents various numbers)' as "reported incompatible by Mike Mackenzie, due to the inability to provide a ready signal".

Regarding update of some pages locked for migration:
Jeff @ http://hxc2001.com/download/datasheet/floppy/thirdparty/Teac/Teac_FD235HF.pdf and Hauke Hagenhoff 2007-08-29 in comp.sys.amstrad.8bit Re: Sony MPF420-1 with http://matthieu.benoit.free.fr/pdf/skettes.pdf have provided some rather comprehensive lists.
There are also drive hardware modding instructions by honi.hucki.net regarding TEAC which I had successfully used on earlier repairs such as Retrofitting a CPC 664 with a 3.5" drive (ParaDOS recommended for full capacity).

OCT

For the record, a 3291 works just fine with the very same jumper settings.