M4: Fail to |UPGRADE from 2.0.5 to 2.0.7 [But unpacking files to root works]

Started by m_dr_m, 22:01, 07 May 21

Previous topic - Next topic

m_dr_m

My CPC is correctly connected to Internet and I can control it via the WebInterface.
The only ROM present is the M4 Board V2.0.5 in position 7 (this CPC 6128 doesn't have AMSDOS ROM chip anymore).
ROM start is 32.

Typing |UPGRADE leads to:
"Failed to retrieve upgrade information."

Plan B: Downloading the ZIP. I cannot find back the instructions! Where to extract the files (root, m4 dir, other ?).
Edit: I've found that here (https://www.cpcwiki.eu/forum/amstrad-cpc-hardware/m4-issue/msg157785/#msg157785)
We must unpack ESPFIRM.BIN and M4FIRM.BIN at the root of the SD Card, then power-cycle.

It would be great to add that in m4info.txt!

Excellent evening.

m_dr_m

The unpack to root worked. While flashing though, the CPC went crazy (frame de-synchro, screen filled with random bytes), which wasn't very reassuring!

SkulleateR

Quote from: m_dr_m
Edit: I've found that here (https://www.cpcwiki.eu/forum/amstrad-cpc-hardware/m4-issue/msg157785/#msg157785)
We must unpack ESPFIRM.BIN and M4FIRM.BIN at the root of the SD Card, then power-cycle.

Excellent evening.

Uhhmm, it's on the wiki Site ...

"Updating (or downgrading) a firmware is done by unpacking the update zip file to the root directory of the microSD card (from a PC). Then insert to the M4 and powercycle the CPC/M4 board, after about 20 seconds it should be updated. "

Duke

Quote from: m_dr_m on 22:01, 07 May 21
My CPC is correctly connected to Internet and I can control it via the WebInterface.
The only ROM present is the M4 Board V2.0.5 in position 7 (this CPC 6128 doesn't have AMSDOS ROM chip anymore).
ROM start is 32.

Typing |UPGRADE leads to:
"Failed to retrieve upgrade information."
So LAN works and WAN fails. It is likely the DNS lookup that is failing.

Yes, my bad. Thought it was already in the m4info.txt - will add, thanks.

m_dr_m

Quote from: SkulleateR on 23:02, 07 May 21Uhhmm, it's on the wiki Site ...
Right! That's the issue: the info is scattered. It's ok to have different docs for user/developers, but there should be a canonical page for each!

m_dr_m

Quote from: Duke on 04:43, 08 May 21So LAN works and WAN fails. It is likely the DNS lookup that is failing.
Oh, good point! I wasn't ready for internet issues on my CPC!