News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Me and my Schneider CPC 464 again.

Started by twox, 16:17, 12 January 19

Previous topic - Next topic

twox

If you couldn't detect anything abnormal with devices i wouldn't even know how to turn on, id say its fair to call the job done. I will try to fullfill my part of the deal within next 2 days. Cheers

twox

Quote from: Bryce on 09:20, 11 March 19
So twox... I proded your board with some pointy things and even waved a nearfield probe over the surface. Whatever whining you can hear isn't coming from this PCB. I suspect that the issue is on the tapedeck PCB. Probing the outputs of channels A/B/C gives the normal random mid-frequency hum that all CPC's (all AY's to be exact) give off, but not louder than expected (around 40mV at highest peak) and they are all random, no pattern that could cause a tone. The second test was to see if anything else was transmitting a whine that could be picked up by other components, but the spectrum shows just the two expected peaks at 2Mhz and 4Mhz which are harmonics of the main clock.

As a very last test, I'll see if I can find my signal tracer and prode around the board for audible tones. (assuming I can find it)

Bryce.
So whats going on about with the board?

Bryce

Nothing. All tests that I've done came up negative for sources of whining, the problem must be on the tapedeck PCB. I'll send you a PM regarding the return.

Bryce.

twox

THOSE FUCKING DHL WHORESONS BREAKED IT IN HALF! THOSE SATAN SPAWNS REPACKED IT, AND GUESS WHAT, I NOW HAVE A ANTIQUE COMPUTER BOARD BREAKED IN HALF... I NEED THE PACKAGE NUMBER LIKE RIGHT NOW...

twox

IT IS GOOD ONLY FOR SPARES.. UNLESS YOU WANT TO MAKE A BOARD WITH 3 TIMES AS MORE CABLES THAN BOARD IN THICKNESS....

twox

AND THE WORST THING, IT WAS NOT ME WHO RECEIVED THE PACKAGE.. IT WAS ACCEPTED WITHOUT CHECKING... NOW I DONT KNOW IF I CAN DO ANYTHING.

twox

I am so fucking tired of it.. after all what happened, this is what happened to my family heirloom. What a fucking climax.https://imgur.com/a/jXvXyIs

Bryce

SHIT! How the hell did they manage that. It was in a 5cm thick box with padding! That looks like it was done deliberately!

We need to find you a new board.

Bryce.

twox

Ok Bryce.. I know you will have to look for the papers all around your quarters.. But please, i need every single detail i can get.It arrived repackaged.. the padding was gone and they half wittedly applied some bubble wrap.. how fucking generous. I will lay claim for the fuckers and demand as much as the most expensive CPC costs on ebay.

Bryce

Is the barcode still on the parcel, that should be enough (with photos) to make a claim. I will check if I have the docket still.

If anyone here has an old 464 board they could donate, I will restore and send it to you to replace this mess. That board definitely isn't fixable.

Bryce.

twox

Should i lay claim for DHL parcel or Deutsche post international?

||C|-|E||

Crazy stuff. I wonder how they managed to do that, seriously. You could definitely salvage some chips, though. At least the CPU, the RAM, etc. Sorry for that.

Bryce

I'm not sure which it was sent with as they are merged into one company here in Germany. It says Deutschepost on the tape they added (that's not from me) so I assume it was handled by Deutschepost and they should be paying up. Your biggest issue will be convincing them of what it's worth. I had an Amiga A1200 board sent to me that never arrived and the Post ended up paying him just €20 despite him sending them links to ebay auctions showing the going rate.

Bryce.

twox

I will show them the bank transfers i have done for your repairs. That will be at least something. On top of that, i will try my absolute hardest to have them give me as much as i can.

Bryce

I can't believe they managed to snap a PCB clean in half. It would take a massive amount of force to break a PCB of that size. No amount of packaging would have saved it, they must have slammed a door on it or stood on it.

Bryce.

twox

I talked to the person who received the package.. No receipt whatsoever was given.
Bryce, i need the waybill, whatever that is. I dont even know what it is but it appears to me that you should have that filled out somewhere.

Bryce

The only thing I get is a small printed docket when I send things. A waybill is the document attached to the parcel when it arrives and is usually manually filled out. I didn't have to fill anything out.

Bryce.

twox

Well, then it was fucking mistreated, because apparently nothing whatsoever arrived with the package.And, to make matters worse, i cant seem to find a complaint form for deutsche post in english...

Bryce

I can't even find one in German!

Bryce.

twox

Well, i think i have to ask you for one last favor - to file a complaint against those fuckers. I called my local post and they told that the sender needs to file the complaint. I think that if you go to the local post that you have sent from, they will guide you. Moreover, with the un-ability to file complaints online for deutsche post i think its the only option (and i dont know German, so my options are severely limited).I can provide to you all photos i have taken of the package. It looks like some motherfucker stomped on it with his dirty boots (dirt mark is clearly visible to be shoe-shaped).All details of the package are visible, including the stamps with those QR codes.

I think that they should give me at least 350Euro in return, because if that wont buy me a original replacement, i think it would be enought for Piotr to design and make me a replacement (with an internal DDI ::) )

LambdaMikel

I agree that looks deliberate. I never heard of a case like this before, and I think it is extremeley unlikely that DHL is responsible for that... and you would have seen damage on the outside of the parcel...

Do you have a good relationship with the mail man and/ or  the person who received the parcel for you?

Good luck with the DHL complaint... let us know if you succeed with that, I think that's unlikely.

Personally, I would spend 350 EUR for a real CPC  ;)
I must say this case is getting extremely weird... almost to weird to be believable.

I also think that these post should be banned for offensive language 
@Gryzor 

twox

Actually, i believe that the damage was done in Germany.  The deutsche post have applied an additional "protection" layer in form of a plastic bag. (the original box was ripped open) The bag had a printed something like "Unfortunately this package was damaged. Plastic bag was provided by deutsche post". How fucking generous. Give me a bank number so i will pay for that really expensive plastic bag, that far exceeds a 30 year old computer in value.Both the postman and the person who received it are on very good terms with both themselves and me.

LambdaMikel

Quote from: twox on 18:18, 27 March 19
Actually, i believe that the damage was done in Germany.  The deutsche post have applied an additional "protection" layer in form of a plastic bag. (the original box was ripped open) The bag had a printed something like "Unfortunately this package was damaged. Plastic bag was provided by deutsche post". How fucking generous. Give me a bank number so i will pay for that really expensive plastic bag, that far exceeds a 30 year old computer in value.Both the postman and the person who received it are on very good terms with both themselves and me.

Why the heck would they do that...

I must say I feel sorry for Bryce that he did all that work...

Anyhow, not my can of worm. Good luck!

twox

I also couldn't believe that. But the facts are that the package was repacked in Germany and had a plastic bag applied.
The dirt mark is 99% from stomping on it, and when i unpacked it it was literally bent 180 degress over the crack. I genuinely cant think of any accident that could cause this - some idiot needed to break it in half, insert it bent, then additionally stomp on it.. id split his head in two with an axe if id met him.
I dont intend to commit insurance fraud, i dont intend to give anyone a business of 350Euro just for the sake of it. My family heirloom was destroyed, my words and feels are genuine, and i dont deserve to be accused of any of this. I have no reason whatsoever to destroy it myself, neither had the postman or the person who received it for me (and that i am sure of), and neither did Bryce, i think he'd  cringe even thinking about damaging it in any way possible. I also dont want to just buy a new CPC with the money, when i still have an option to fix my one. That why i am on lookout for new boards. If an original comes up for cheaper, i'd buy that. But i am aware that finding one wont be easy, thats why i am trying to secure myself funds for an new replacement. And the only person i can think of who could get me one was Piotr.. so theres that. If you have other suggestions you are welcome

LambdaMikel

You must have a personal enemy @DHL.
Well, if the supplied bag already states that it was broken, then reimbursement should be a no brainer, right?