News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

My CPC 464+ has started to fail :'(

Started by AxelStone, 15:42, 09 March 20

Previous topic - Next topic

AxelStone

Hello everyone, mi CPC 464+ is dying and I need help  :'( . Since some days ago it resets randomly and since yesterday, it has lost 1 PSG channel. This is the prelude of definitive KO, it has the same symptom that had my old 6128 plus. It lost 1 PSG channel and after 2 weeks, it definitively died. I sold it as spare parts and since I can't that my 464 plus follow same steps, I really need to repair it.

Could someone help me? Thanks so much!

gerald

It could just be that the power switch is getting dirty or the supply not delivering 5V anymore.
From experience, the PSG is the 1st to malfunction when the supply voltage is getting down.
Do you have multimeter and, if so, can you check the voltage on IC16 pin 14 and IC16 pin 7 (IC16 is just above the keyboard connector) ?
You expect something between 4.75 and 5.25V

AxelStone

I think you are right, I've tried to plug to my monitor and it sounds well. It's strange, my AC adapter has 3A, it's supossed it should be enought to power de CPC, I've been using it during years.

I'll continue doing tests but most probably it's a power problem as you say. Thanks so much.

Bryce

The capacitors might be failing in your AC adapter, so it's not able to supply what it used to (which was never 3A in the first place, because that's always the peak current and they can rarely sustain that).

Bryce.