News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Odd Behaviour from a 464

Started by merlin152, 00:01, 23 September 20

Previous topic - Next topic

merlin152

Hello All,
I recently purchase a 464 from Ebay to relive my distant childhood. It came with a Scart adaptor and new power supply. So I brought a new 22" TV and connected up. On first boot the screen flickered, but then stablised. I thought ok, it works.. sort off. Then I tried a simple BORDER 0 command to change the colour of the border to black. Nothing happened.. All I got was another Ready prompt. I tried CLS, still nothing.. Then I tried MODE 1. Low and behold the border changed to black.
I've tried this again several times, still the same result.. So my 464 requires a MODE command after a BORDER or PAPER command to change the colour. I don't remember this being a thing when I was a kid. Also I tried the same thing on WinAPE. On there the border changed colour immediately.

The next thing I tried was to load a tape. The 464 came with Chuckie Egg 2. I thought okay, never played this before.. Put the tape in. Rewound it and typed in RUN". I got the prompt, pressed play and hit ENTER. Suddenly the display went dead. It was like the TV couldn't find a signal. All the while I could hear the loading noises from the tape. I thought I better turn the power off before it started to smoke. Luckily, when I switched it back on, everything came back to the startup screen.

I think I'll just wait for my M4 Board before using the tape deck again. Also, my 464 has being modded with an Audio IN Jack. I'll try another source into that to see if that works.
Like I said, Odd behaviour..
Any ideas regarding any of this?
merlin

Bryce

My first suspicion would be the powersupply.

Bryce.

merlin152

I got another powersupply 5v 6A. I know a bit overkill. That solved everything. Thanks Bryce.

mr_lou

Welcome to the forum!  :)

That was an odd behavior indeed. Never tried that myself either. But good you got it fixed.

Enjoy your nostalgic trip.  :)