News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Problem with tape loading

Started by 2ombieboy, 18:10, 01 May 18

Previous topic - Next topic

2ombieboy

Hi guys new member hear just trying to get my plus model up and fully working. got this in a console/computer joblot of broken systems. i have managed to get it working but its has warter damage or tea or something wet on it and the power would not work nor did the tape drive and the cover is smashed off the tape. all in all its had a hard life. fixed dry solder joints after mm reading. then striped and fixed the power switch. that all working now. next i cleaned all the heads on the tape drive and gave it some lubrication and genral looking over. and it loaded up to the loading screen. it did this on a few games but i get either an error while loading or the tape finishes and the system still says loading. or the computer resets its self while loading in the tape. i have around 20 original games but not 1 of them have i been able to play. well apart from burning rubber wich is on the cart.

Any clues as whats wrong. or should i track down a sd card solution for the games. not shure whats avalable

Any way help if you can please. hop that all made scene

Alan

2ombieboy

Photos in my google page sorry dont know how to atach them on hear

https://photos.app.goo.gl/cg5W9oKZh1ZiimQ43

Dagger

Do the tape heads need re-alignment ?
Life's a bitch. You marry one or two then you die !

2ombieboy

I don't know buddy. Some stuff loads but then the system resets. So I don't think it's the heads

Bryce

Are the belts in the tape drive still good? As it has been wet, have you cleaned all the mechanical parts in the tape drive to remove any sticky residue?

Bryce.

2ombieboy

yes belts are fine and i removed all the sticky stuff from it gave it all a good clean. it loaded a few of the games till the and but the computer reset when i finished loading. another tape loaded till the end of the tape but still said loading on the screen

Alan

Bryce

I'd try re-cleaning the head first and then checking the head alignment. Many games use slow loading for the first block and then faster loading for the rest, so the first section may load despite head issues, but the rest won't.

Bryce.

2ombieboy

how do i do the head alignment is there a guide somewhere please. never done it before

Alan

Bryce

It's not that easy on a Plus and an oscilloscope is required.

Bryce.

2ombieboy

i do own an oscilloscope. just need to know what to do is there a guide somewhere

Alan

Bryce

No guide, just connect the scope to some suitable point on the analogue side of the tape output, play a tape and turn the adjust screw on the head until the signal reaches its peak.

Bryce.