News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

replacing the metal plate above the drive

Started by eto, 22:35, 16 February 22

Previous topic - Next topic

eto

So I have a broken 6128 case and a good one with a missing metal plate above the drive (the one with the color codes)

I know that it's glued - and it really sticks. Is there a trick how I can remove the plate from the broken case so I can move it over to the good one?

Nworc

I did this once.

You want to preserve the good plate as good as you can? I know one method that actually worked to get the plate off without spoiling it. This method will destroy the case. I roughly cut off the case around the plate, then placed the plate in a plastic box (made of PP) together with 100-200ml dry cleaning naphtha ("Waschbenzin"), close the lid and let be like that for half a day or a day. The plastic from the CPC case swells by this procedure, and also the glue under the plate starts to dissolve. By the time the remainder of the plastic around the plate becomes so soft that you can break it with your hand. At this point you can start to lift the plate carefully from the remaining plastic using a knife or similar. My observation was that the plate was not affected by the dry cleaning naphtha at all.

Be careful to keep the plastic box at a ventilated place during this procedure.

Nworc

I think there is another method to remove the plate from the case without spoiling anything, but this one has not yet been tested:

You cool the housing to about -192°C using a bath of liquid nitrogen, so that the adhesive holding the plate becomes hard and brittle.

Now it should be relatively easy to crack this adhesive by heating the aluminum plate instantly to +50°C using a strong alternating electromagnetic field generated by a set of induction coils.

Please don't try this at home.

PS: This solution is 100% C02-neutral.

eto

I have the impression it's cheaper and faster to buy a new one.

Bryce

Quote from: Nworc on 14:29, 24 February 22I think there is another method to remove the plate from the case without spoiling anything, but this one has not yet been tested:

You cool the housing to about -192°C using a bath of liquid nitrogen, so that the adhesive holding the plate becomes hard and brittle.

Now it should be relatively easy to crack this adhesive by heating the aluminum plate instantly to +50°C using a strong alternating electromagnetic field generated by a set of induction coils.

Please don't try this at home.

PS: This solution is 100% C02-neutral.

At -192°C the plastic would be just as brittle and break like glass with even slight pressure.

Getting back to serious solutions, heating the plate with a hairdrier should soften the glue enough to make removing the plate a lot easier. The hairdrier would never be hot enough to damage the plastic.

Bryce.