General Category > Technical Support

Strange CPC 6128 /drive behaviour

<< < (3/3)

ajcasado:

--- Quote from: Bryce on 10:07, 03 May 21 ---See attachment. If the drive isn't reacting to commands, the output drivers have a problem. If the drive reacts to commands but the computer reports an error, then the input drivers have a problem.

Bryce.
--- End quote ---
Hi Bryce,

My external 3.5" floppy only works one sided. If I measure the voltage on //S1 is always ~0V. In Parados I have to select single sided head 1 for the drive to work. If I disconnect the /S1 signal then I have to select head 0 in Parados. With /S1 disconnected the floppy /S1 pin is at 5V and the CPC /S1 pin is at 0V. My CPC is a 664, but the driver IC's seems to be the same as in the 6128. In this case, should I have to replace IC206?

Bryce:

--- Quote from: ajcasado on 23:03, 03 May 21 ---Hi Bryce,

My external 3.5" floppy only works one sided. If I measure the voltage on //S1 is always ~0V. In Parados I have to select single sided head 1 for the drive to work. If I disconnect the /S1 signal then I have to select head 0 in Parados. With /S1 disconnected the floppy /S1 pin is at 5V and the CPC /S1 pin is at 0V. My CPC is a 664, but the driver IC's seems to be the same as in the 6128. In this case, should I have to replace IC206?

--- End quote ---

Possibly, but it's difficult to say without knowing exactly the type of 3.5in drive and what mods have been done. It could be a drive problem too.

Bryce.

ajcasado:

--- Quote from: Bryce on 10:19, 04 May 21 ---Possibly, but it's difficult to say without knowing exactly the type of 3.5in drive and what mods have been done. It could be a drive problem too.

Bryce.
--- End quote ---

It's a NEC FDH1231H with the READY signal mod (http://www.cpcwiki.eu/index.php/Modify_PC_floppy_drives)

I also have a Mitsumi D359T6, but the PCB is different from the one in the photo of the wiki and I cannot find the DCH/RDY bridge so I tested it with the READY signal solution from http://www.cpcwiki.eu/index.php/Guide_on_how_to_connect_a_3.5%22_drive_to_a_CPC6128/664, this one behaves in the same way  with the double side issue.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version