Greaseweazle

Started by sb1903, 23:36, 15 May 22

Previous topic - Next topic

sb1903

Hi,

I wonder if I am the only one in this forum using a Greaseweazle (in my case a V4) to connect an FD-1 to a modern PC and restore/mirror old 3" disks into an image. I can say that for me, this works quite well. The explanations on Muckypaws' website actually helped a lot. I thought it's maybe a good idea to document here how this works. Comments, thoughts, own experience with Greaseweazle and discussion about this solution is welcome in this thread :)

In short what I found out via that website and partially also myself:
- Aside from making sure a new belt is installed in the drive, it's important to also disconnect the 5V power plug *in* the drive. Otherwise the FD-1 may burn your Greaseweazle.
- The connection works well via a 1:1 34-pin cable without any twists or so. It can happen that this cable gets connected to the FD-1 in the wrong way, then you should hear the motor all the time (make sure no disk is in the drive!). I was lucky and directly connected it right. For me, the cable goes up-side when looking at the drive.
- First time I connected the Greaseweazle and installed its host software, I was asked to do a firmware update and directly did that.
- I found that for me the best way to use the Greaseweazle is to store the raw stream from the drive in various files (one file per track on disk). The advantage is that when a track hasn't been correctly red (one or more sectors missing or with wrong CRC), then I can just re-read this track (sometimes need to do that several times, if the disk is stubborn) instead of the entire disk.
- I read in the disks via
gw read --revs=5 --track="c=0-39:h=0" --drive B ResultFile99.0.rawThis creates files ResultFile00.0.raw, ResultFile01.0.raw, ..., ResultFile39.0.raw (each track of the disk in the appropriate file)
- HxCFloppyEmulator is the right tool to analyze the result of the command below. I use "Load", then "Track Analyzer" and select there the "Dummy disk". On top, it luckily shows you how many sectors are bad. I identify these (just by looking at the visualization - didn't find a better/easier way by now), and re-read the affected tracks with the same command as above by just changing the tracks after the "c=" accordingly.
- I use the Export functionality of the HxCFloppyEmulator to export into Amstrad DSK format.
- I enjoy the created disk images in any emulator (usually I use cpcec).

Devlin

I have a greaseweazle, and the necessary attachment for imaging CPC disks but I never got to use it.

The CPC attachment was intended for a future acquisition that due to life/money problems never happened, so it did its job as amiga imaging device and went in a box until needed again. They're wonderful little devices, though. I use a nice little gui to do my imaging to spare me headaches of command line stuff - https://github.com/M1kerochip/LaunchGreaseWeazle
Amstrad fan! | CPC464 + USIfAC II | Administrator of Amstrad Discord : https://discord.gg/ksWvApv

Sykobee (Briggsy)

I have a GW (I owe Keir some beers next time we go on a pub crawl) but haven't wired it up to the FD1 yet because there's never enough time. Thanks for the UI link Devlin.