News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Sudden problem with 3" drive

Started by vasilisk, 12:25, 16 February 21

Previous topic - Next topic

vasilisk

Quote from: tjohnson on 23:45, 18 February 21
Yes, although they rarely fail so probably not worth it.

it seems that we are in the "rarely" case  8)

vasilisk

When the cpc is on (standby), what voltage these cables must have?

tjohnson

One provides 5v and one 12v.  The 12v is the motor and the 5v is the logic, they are reversed from a normal PC floppy drive connector, I believe the red is 12v and orange is 5v.

vasilisk

Unless I'm doing something wrong, I am not getting 12 volts on the red cable. Orange cable is at 5 volt.

tjohnson

Does the motor spin up?

I assume this is a 6128 and is connected to an original Monitor that is providing 12v and 5v, these are separate, the 12v is via a cable from the computer plugged until the monitor  and the 5v is via a cable from the monitor plugged into the computer.

Check your Monitor is providing 12v, it's centre negative from what I recall.

tjohnson

vasilisk

I am reviving this thread, since I found the time now to deal with it again. Unfortuntely I havent fixed it yet.  
Before I start removing IC's, transistors, etc. let me present some new data for the experts. 
First of all, with the drive removed, and the USIFACII installed, cpc works fine. Games are loading and running. What ever that means. CPC is powered from the ctm644.
When the drive is installed as A, CAT command gives "Bad Command" after a few seconds. Led in the drive is blinking but motor is not working.
If I install the same drive as B externally, IB command gives again "Bad Command" after a few seconds. Again CPC is powered from the ctm644
In my second CPC, which has a gotek installed internally (therefore I cannot install the drive as A), when I install the same drive externally as B, it works fine. I assume this rules out the problem of something wrong with the drive itself.

pacomix

Please can you attach a picture on how you are connecting your monitor to the CPC ?

vasilisk

Quote from: pacomix on 13:55, 11 April 22Please can you attach a picture on how you are connecting your monitor to the CPC ?
I am confused. I have the original amstrad monitor so the connections are pretty standard. I will upload though if you want, when I am home. 

eto

Quote from: vasilisk on 17:29, 10 April 22First of all, with the drive removed, and the USIFACII installed, cpc works fine. Games are loading and running. What ever that means.
Not a lot as the USIFAC is on the expansion bus and not linked to any of those parts that were discussed previously.

If the drive works on another computer, you can rule out that it fails, correct. Did you try the Gotek of the other CPC in the CPC that fails then too?

vasilisk

Quote from: eto on 14:07, 11 April 22
Quote from: vasilisk on 17:29, 10 April 22First of all, with the drive removed, and the USIFACII installed, cpc works fine. Games are loading and running. What ever that means.
Not a lot as the USIFAC is on the expansion bus and not linked to any of those parts that were discussed previously.

If the drive works on another computer, you can rule out that it fails, correct. Did you try the Gotek of the other CPC in the CPC that fails then too?

I mentioned USIFAC in case there was some other chip failing if the games were running with problems.

I cannot test it, because the gotek is internally placed and fixed. Too big of a mess to remove it. 

eto

Quote from: vasilisk on 14:11, 11 April 22I mentioned USIFAC in case there was some other chip failing if the games were running with problems.
You are basically bypassing the FDC and the whole floppy part if you are using the USIFAC. A failing chip in the floppy controller part would not have an impact on the USIFAC.