News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

TV query

Started by ComSoft6128, 18:51, 29 January 21

Previous topic - Next topic

ComSoft6128

A few years ago I bought a large screen LG TV and looking thru the manual I found it could record to USB stick what it was displaying as an MP4(?) file - Woo Hoo! Big excitement - I could now start making CPC videos ;D

Big letdown :( >:( :(  - it seems it will record but the recording is tagged with a DRM and so will only play on the TV it was recorded on.

Bad LG! Bad!

Are there any TV's available with a more "flexible" approach to recording?

Animalgril987

A quick Google shows a fair few DRM removal tools...

Bryce

Quote from: ComSoft6128 on 18:51, 29 January 21
A few years ago I bought a large screen LG TV and looking thru the manual I found it could record to USB stick what it was displaying as an MP4(?) file - Woo Hoo! Big excitement - I could now start making CPC videos ;D

Big letdown :( >:( :(  - it seems it will record but the recording is tagged with a DRM and so will only play on the TV it was recorded on.

Bad LG! Bad!

Are there any TV's available with a more "flexible" approach to recording?

I've a Panasonic BluRay player that records to HDD and the files are accessible directly over the LAN connection. No DRM they run on my PC too.

Bryce.

Gryzor

Quote from: Bryce on 19:57, 29 January 21
I've a Panasonic BluRay player that records to HDD and the files are accessible directly over the LAN connection. No DRM they run on my PC too.

Bryce.

It rips BRs?

Bryce

Nope, it only records from the external inputs.

Bryce.

Gryzor

Makes somewhat more sense - if it ripped discs then it'd surely add some sort of DRM of its own? That's why LG does that, to protect its 'own' content - I mean, if it didn't, then you could just rip everything and upload it. I wonder if it lets you also record from apps like Netflix :D

[edit]...and yes I realise what I just typed only makes half sense because it obviously adds DRM to other inputs as well, not just TV input. Back to my coffee.