News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Unmodded 6128 Plus to PC transfer

Started by tonystark, 04:20, 26 September 22

Previous topic - Next topic

tonystark

Hello all, thank you for accepting me here. I'm curious on the following. I have various disks on the CPC that I want to transfer to the PC. The 6128+ is unmodded and I would like to remain that way. Is it possible to transfer the disk contents to a PC (Btw there is also a standard 6128 available, if the plus won't cut it). What gear is required? Can someone point me to the right direction? thank you in advance.

poulette73

Hello,

You can use an external Gotek drive, as a second drive.
Then copy your real 3" disks to DSK images (stored on a USB key).

The USIfAC II interface also allows this kind of operation.
But I don't know its compatibility with a 6128+, can someone confirm?

A few more steps (hardware and software) but it's also possible to use an external 3"1/2 drive as a second drive.
Then copy your 3" disks to 3"1/2, and reread them on PC with CPCDiskXP utility.
But this requires an internal 3"1/2 drive on the PC's motherboard (not a 3"1/2 USB drive) and an older Windows OS for native drive compatibility as CPCDiskXP runs low level on BIOS layer hardware.

ComSoft6128

Quote from: poulette73 on 07:41, 26 September 22Hello,

You can use an external Gotek drive, as a second drive.
Then copy your real 3" disks to DSK images (stored on a USB key).

The USIfAC II interface also allows this kind of operation.

A few more steps (hardware and software) but it's also possible to use an external 3"1/2 drive as a second drive.
Then copy your 3" disks to 3"1/2, and reread them on PC with CPCDiskXP utility.
But this requires an internal 3"1/2 drive on the PC's motherboard (not a 3"1/2 USB drive) and an older Windows OS for native drive compatibility as CPCDiskXP runs low level on BIOS layer hardware.
The first method outlined by @poulette73 is the easiest.
I use this on a 6128 Plus and it works fine.

tonystark

I will try it and let you know...thank you. By the way, can please some one give me a link on what exactly I should get ? or all gotek drives the same ?

ComSoft6128

I bought a Gotek with pre-installed CPC firmware from here:

https://www.cpcstore.co.uk/s/shop

Unfortunately it doesn't look like they have any in stock at the moment but I suppose you could email them or purchase elsewhere.

tonystark

So basically gotek is just a hardware piece that works with the respective firmware to read the desired machine floppies. correct ? I mean if I get a gotek and flash the appropriate firmware i'll be able to use it either Amstrad or lets say amiga ?

ComSoft6128

Yes but I've only ever used it on the CPC and you would need a new ribbon cable for the Amiga.

https://www.cpcwiki.eu/index.php/Gotek

ComSoft6128

tonystark

I want first at foremost to transfer amstrad disk contents to pc and then maybe connect it to an amiga. And since there are quite a few models, should I go for the latest one ? (SFR1M44-U100LQD)

ComSoft6128

OK,

If these are old data files fair enough but if its games or applications just get them from CPC POWER or CPCRulez.
But you'll still find a Gotek essential.

tonystark

Yup, I'm interested in reading from actual 3" disks and transfer the contents to the PC. Wouldn't say no to the opposite :D, So is SFR1M44-U100LQD a good choice to buy ?

ComSoft6128

I couldn't tell you if the SFR1M44-U100LQD is a good choice, I suggest you look for reviews and see what you find.

Gonzo_XIII

Quote from: poulette73 on 07:41, 26 September 22The USIfAC II interface also allows this kind of operation.

I can confirm that as of ROM Rev.6f that although it seems to boot up OK, and although some of the pipe commends work (|usb and |stat seem to work) if you try anything else with it, even just |help, it seems to bug out and make the machine freeze or behave erratically.

I'm quite sad as this seemed like a really fantastic solution but contacting the developer seemed to brushed off with a "I don't have a plus to test it on" and that was it.
CPC 464 (in parts), 6128plus+monitor, NC100
- X4 Motherboard
- 1Mb Universal RAM Card
- CPC 8 ROM Card (SymBOS, Boulder, Sentinel)
- Multiface II (Not sure how to use this yet)
- USIfAC II (doesn't work with Plus)
- Dandanator Mini (doesn't work with Plus)

Cwiiis

Quote from: Gonzo_XIII on 05:21, 09 October 22
Quote from: poulette73 on 07:41, 26 September 22The USIfAC II interface also allows this kind of operation.

I can confirm that as of ROM Rev.6f that although it seems to boot up OK, and although some of the pipe commends work (|usb and |stat seem to work) if you try anything else with it, even just |help, it seems to bug out and make the machine freeze or behave erratically.

I'm quite sad as this seemed like a really fantastic solution but contacting the developer seemed to brushed off with a "I don't have a plus to test it on" and that was it.

I get this behaviour if I use any cartridge except for the original Burnin' Rubber + BASIC cart. My hand-wavy presumption is that it's the NoACID work-around making the timing a bit tighter and the usifac2 not being tolerant of this (I can replicate some instability with other non-usifac2 add-ons in this scenario, but not nearly to the same extent).