News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

What a discovery? My cpc 464 has a serial port.

Started by xubuntu, 11:29, 20 March 21

Previous topic - Next topic

xubuntu

Dear Sirs

I was looking for a cassette recorder, asking my neighbors and so, in order to play some games in my cpc 464 and today I just realized that there is a serial port at the back of my cpc!!

Christoforos Colombos might have had felt less excited when reaching Cuba.

Next to my cpc I have a pentium 4 with windows xp, right at the distance of a meter of so, the length of a serial cable. Coincidence or karma ?

Please tell me that I can connect the serial port of my pentium to the serial port of my cpc and paste programs through the hyperterminal of windows xp ..?

What settings should I use ?  ::)

Bryce

Quote from: xubuntu on 11:29, 20 March 21
Dear Sirs

I was looking for a cassette recorder, asking my neighbors and so, in order to play some games in my cpc 464 and today I just realized that there is a serial port at the back of my cpc!!

Christoforos Colombos might have had felt less excited when reaching Cuba.

Next to my cpc I have a pentium 4 with windows xp, right at the distance of a meter of so, the length of a serial cable. Coincidence or karma ?

Please tell me that I can connect the serial port of my pentium to the serial port of my cpc and paste programs through the hyperterminal of windows xp ..?

What settings should I use ?  ::)

Could you post a picture of (what you think is) the serial port?

Bryce.

xubuntu

Bryce

VintageAdvantage

My 464 has a serial port, too! It's next to the Any key!  ;) The previous owner has relabled that key with ESC though - no sure why he did it. Like "Escape -get me out of here???"   ;D You guys are pranksters  - always make me laugh. You made my day, thank you  :laugh: Copernicus cannot have been more delighted.

But more seriously - it might not be entirely impossible to use the Joystick port for UART / serial input. With low baud rates of course. Of course this will require some Machine Code for reading from it so it can be fast enough. Has anybody tried that?

GUNHED

Well, 300 Baud should work with the cassette port too. But doing the software would be a serious effort.

There are CPC-PC connections using the printer port though.
http://futureos.de --> Get the revolutionary FutureOS (Update: 2023.11.30)
http://futureos.cpc-live.com/files/LambdaSpeak_RSX_by_TFM.zip --> Get the RSX-ROM for LambdaSpeak :-) (Updated: 2021.12.26)

xubuntu

ok. Depressing.
So .. is there a way to connect a cpc 464 to a pc through telnet? Printer port you say ? Could you maybe be more exact showing what kind of cable I should buy and software I use? If you google "connect a coc to a pc" nothing showes up.
Thanks

eto

Get the M4 or the Usifac II interface to easily connect to your PC.

Bryce

Quote from: xubuntu on 06:59, 21 March 21
If you google "connect a coc to a pc" nothing showes up.

Yeah, that's because you mispelt CPC :D

But seriously. There are several solutions. If you want to stay old-school, there were several RS232 interfaces available http://www.cpcwiki.eu/index.php/Peripherals#Serial_Interfaces , that you can occasionally find on ebay. Alternatively, many new hardware creations offer an RS232 port which you can also use to give your CPC bluetooth.

Bryce.

xubuntu

I am just asking if there is a cable that I can connect to my amstrad and then to my serial port of pentium 4 pc and communicate through telnet.

I don't want wifi, bluetooth and a million other choices you suggested.

If you type in google "M4" a gun showes up.

If you type in "usifac II",  it makes a bit sense about what that could be, but then again 0 results available on ebay. "Get the usifac II and easily connect.. it's for sale in your nearest supermarket = nowhere"

If you  type in RS232 a serial cable showes up like the one I posted earlier with 5 pins on top and 4 below, which you said is a game port and not a serial. So why you suggested a cable called RS232 which looks like a serial cable after all, while you initially said that I won't be able to use a serial cable and that that is a game port ?

Also, when you google RS232 many different types cables show up.

For example here it says RS232

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Adapter-Cable-Serial-RS232-Male-1-5MT-Computer-Printer/324529096870

Can I just connect this to my windows xp machine through telnet and paste in programs for the amstrad cpc 464 ? I suspect not. Because you said "RS232 interfaces", you didn't say "RS232 cables". Which rings a bell in my head, that you either want to make my life harder or things are indeed very complicated.

Could maybe someone suggest the easiest and most affordable way, with 1 cable if possible, to connect a cpc 464 to a serial port of a windows xp machine and communicate through hyperterminal ?

I would highly appreciate it.

Bryce

Ok, you didn't get the message, I'll try again: THERE IS NO PORT ON THE CPC THAT WILL ALLOW YOU TO CONNECT IT TO A PC WITH A SIMPLE CABLE. You need an interface in between. You obviously didn't click on the link I provided above and Google searches don't seem to be your strong point either, so let me Google those (properly) for you:

https://letmegooglethat.com/?q=Amstrad+CPC+M4

https://letmegooglethat.com/?q=Amstrad+CPC+usifac+II

Bryce.

eto

Quote from: xubuntu on 12:12, 21 March 21If you type in google "M4" a gun showes up.

If you type in "usifac II", 

I would suggest to use the search in the forum or on the CPCWIKI, there you will get lots of hits. There is e.g. an active discussion around the USIFAC II where almost every day there is a post by the creator of the USIFAC who is currently selling them. (https://www.cpcwiki.eu/forum/amstrad-cpc-hardware/usifac-iimake-your-pc-or-usb-stick-an-hdd-for-amstrad-access-dsk-and-many-more!/)

Google is usually not bad too, BUT you have to add "Amstrad CPC" to your search term like Bryce already said. Once you have done some research, people will be usually very helpful here. but they do not want to repeat and explain information that is easily available already.

xubuntu

Google is terribly bad. It messes "Queer" with "Queen" and so "Queen" the band show up before the Queen of England.

Ok let's start with M4 which seems humanly understandable.

I ended up on this site which doesn't seem to have a "buy it" link. Where do I buy it ? A mystery..

http://www.spinpoint.org/2016/05/06/m4-board-retrofun-8-bit-amstrad-cpc-wifi/

The way to purchase one is by living a comment on this blog.. (highly legitimate).

Anyway the usifac II was made by a Greek guy. I will try to get one first. It's cheaper than the m4 and also made by a Greek guy.

We Greeks are the smartest people on earth. If someone has a different opinion, I challenge him into an IQ test. :picard:

Gryzor

Bryce

Quote from: xubuntu on 07:50, 22 March 21
Google is terribly bad. It messes "Queer" with "Queen" and so "Queen" the band show up before the Queen of England.

Ok let's start with M4 which seems humanly understandable.

I ended up on this site which doesn't seem to have a "buy it" link. Where do I buy it ? A mystery..

http://www.spinpoint.org/2016/05/06/m4-board-retrofun-8-bit-amstrad-cpc-wifi/

The way to purchase one is by living a comment on this blog.. (highly legitimate).

Anyway the usifac II was made by a Greek guy. I will try to get one first. It's cheaper than the m4 and also made by a Greek guy.

We Greeks are the smartest people on earth. If someone has a different opinion, I challenge him into an IQ test. :picard:

There are currently 17 Monarchies in the world with a Queen, why would you expect the Queen of a small Island in Europe to be listed before a band that was famous around the world? And have you ever heard of context? If you do a search for ANYTHING, you always need to add additional information. If I'm looking for a nut for my bicycle and just type in nut, then I shouldn't be suprised that the first result is a small brown thing in a shell that tastes rather good.

Oh, and I'll take you up on that IQ test. I know you won't cheat, because I doubt Google is going to help you that much.  :picard:

Bryce. 

Gryzor

The Queen is THE Queen only when you're in the UK. If you're somewhere else that has a queen, then guess what, the queen has another name :D For the rest of the world indeed Queen is a kind of magic.

Can't decice if it's truly bad humor or something else :D

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: Gryzor on 11:56, 22 March 21
The Queen is THE Queen only when you're in the UK. If you're somewhere else that has a queen, then guess what, the queen has another name :D For the rest of the world indeed Queen is a kind of magic.

Can't decice if it's truly bad humor or something else :D

There can be only one...
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

Gryzor

SkulleateR

xubuntu

QuoteOh, and I'll take you up on that IQ test. I know you won't cheat, because I doubt Google is going to help you that much.

HAHAHAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

That was very good.

However, you will loose. BECAUSE: I am the biggest genious ever laid foot on planet earth, after Einstein. And Elon Musk follows. It's Albert, Angelo (me), Elon.

So, let's put the record straight here. Queen is the best band ever laid foot on planet earth. However, the Queen of England is immortal!

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: SkulleateR on 12:08, 22 March 21
Google Result -> Highlander Video Clip :D :D :D

Yep, where Queen provided a good chunk of the soundtrack for. :D
Currently playing on: 2xCPC464, 1xCPC6128, 1x464Plus, 1x6128Plus, 2xGX4000. M4 board, ZMem 1MB and still forever playing Bruce Lee.
No cheats, snapshots or emulation. I play my games as they're intended to be played. What about you?

Shaun M. Neary

Quote from: xubuntu on 12:09, 22 March 21
HAHAHAAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

That was very good.

However, you will loose. BECAUSE: I am the biggest genious ever laid foot on planet earth, after Einstein. And Elon Musk follows. It's Albert, Angelo (me), Elon.

So, let's put the record straight here. Queen is the best band ever laid foot on planet earth. However, the Queen of England is immortal!

I have no words...  :picard: :picard2: :picard: :picard2:

VintageAdvantage

Quote from: xubuntu on 07:50, 22 March 21Anyway the usifac II was made by a Greek guy. I will try to get one first. It's cheaper than the m4 and also made by a Greek guy.

OK, so USIfAC II Propaganda it is. Is that what it's all about?

Guys, please stop feeding trolls... really. No matter if they are greek or USIfAC advocates or not. Thanks.
@xubuntu the USIfAC is selling well with or without your BS. You are doing your greek buddies a disfavor by acting like this. It sells better without propaganda, believe me...

Still not sure if this is meant in a humorous way. I hope so!

VintageAdvantage

Quote from: Gryzor on 09:07, 22 March 21

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cP5---17O4s

For those that get the cultural reference - not sure how popular Monty Python's Flying Circus was in Greece: 

https://youtu.be/C9VH_sbi548

Gryzor

Quote from: VintageAdvantage on 17:15, 22 March 21not sure how popular Monty Python's Flying Circus was in Greece: 

Very.