News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Analogue joystick testing

Started by dthrone, 11:16, 10 May 15

Previous topic - Next topic

dthrone

It's been ages since anyone has posted about this so I've started a new topic.  Now I've got my C4CPC I've been able to test a Quickshot Blackhawk (model QS-6219) analogue joystick on a GX4000 using the Arnold Diagnostic cart.
I firstly tested the pins, both fire buttons are connected to pin 4 as required, so the digital buttons are good.  Both axis pins are connected to pin 1, so there is no problem there (nothing for the reversed 0/5V to destroy).
I didn't bother checking the resistance ranges because I don't have enough hands.
The nice thing is this joystick has two small sliders "x axis adjust" and "y axis adjust".  I plugged the joystick straight in and the sliders gave centred ranges 1a-27 in x and 1c-2b in y.  By tweaking the centred value, the full physical x and y ranges were available within 00-3F ASIC ranges.
So in conclusion this is an example of a analogue joystick that works perfectly on the GX4000, straight out of the box.

dthrone

Further to this, it would be nice to build up a table of analogue joysticks tested with the diagnostic cartridge, probably with at least make/model and x and y ranges recorded.

This would -
a) serve as a buying guide, the more sticks we know work, the more buying choice there is.  The more buying choice, the more owners, the more likely people will produce analogue stick compatible games  ;)
b) let developers know what to account for when writing calibration routines etc.

Note, be sure to read the wiki guidelines before doing any tests.

Wiki has now been updated with a table on the analogue stick page.  It would be very nice to get a range of sticks tried out.  Post if unsure technically or wary of damage etc.  ;D

TFM

I never used the Diagnostic cartridge. What I do is to start FutureOS (Plus version) and see if I can move the mouse pointer (hardware sprite) over the screen. Using the analogue joystick. IMHO the big advantage is that one can see the proportional speed in real-time. So one can assess who good the proportional part of the joystick actually is.  :)
TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

dthrone

Quote from: TFM on 17:18, 11 May 15
I never used the Diagnostic cartridge. What I do is to start FutureOS (Plus version) and see if I can move the mouse pointer (hardware sprite) over the screen. Using the analogue joystick. IMHO the big advantage is that one can see the proportional speed in real-time. So one can assess who good the proportional part of the joystick actually is.  :)

Well that's true, you certainly can't argue with the compatibility by seeing it in action  8)

So can you confirm any makes/models that have worked well in FutureOS (Plus)?  :)

TFM

Quote from: dthrone on 18:55, 11 May 15
Well that's true, you certainly can't argue with the compatibility by seeing it in action  8)
So can you confirm any makes/models that have worked well in FutureOS (Plus)?  :)

Thanks. Well, tbh, I only had the change to get one joystick to test. It was a cheap PC joystick they sold for cheap long time ago.
Once somebody here posted a picture in the forum, but I don't find the thread now. Sorry, that's not so helpful.

TFM of FutureSoft
Also visit the CPC and Plus users favorite OS: FutureOS - The Revolution on CPC6128 and 6128Plus

dthrone

Quote from: TFM on 19:12, 11 May 15

Thanks. Well, tbh, I only had the change to get one joystick to test. It was a cheap PC joystick they sold for cheap long time ago.
Once somebody here posted a picture in the forum, but I don't find the thread now. Sorry, that's not so helpful.

A while ago I did read through those threads, I'll have to take another look and see if anything useful can be extracted  :D

I am quite sure that many people are starting plus cart projects now the C4CPC is available, and I'm sure most would like the confidence that if they include analogue stick functionality, users will have plenty of mod-free solutions  :)

Bryce

The software is irrelevant, it's the hardware that needs to be tested for compatibility, but I will agree, the Future OS cursor is a good way to test it.

Bryce.

CraigsBar

Quote from: Bryce on 22:06, 11 May 15
The software is irrelevant, it's the hardware that needs to be tested for compatibility, but I will agree, the Future OS cursor is a good way to test it.

Bryce.
any chance of a proper USB mouse to analogue socket eh @Bryce ?
IRC:  #Retro4All on Freenode

dthrone

Quote from: Bryce on 22:06, 11 May 15

Bryce.

With all these testing options available, hopefully some more makes/models can be confirmed. 

....or even ruled out!  :(

Bryce

Quote from: CraigsBar on 23:34, 11 May 15
any chance of a proper USB mouse to analogue socket eh @Bryce ?

Technically possible, but how many people would really want one?

Bryce.

CraigsBar

Me for sure, 2 actually. If it is truly analogue ;) and I am sure @TFM and @Prodatron will be able to add support to futureos and symbos. Oh an maybe a Cyber-Chicken patch lol.

Bryce

Quote from: CraigsBar on 09:21, 12 May 15
Me for sure, 2 actually. If it is truly analogue ;) and I am sure @TFM and @Prodatron will be able to add support to futureos and symbos. Oh an maybe a Cyber-Chicken patch lol.

Don't they already support analogue joysticks as pointing devices? The OS wouldn't know whether it's a joystick or a USB mouse adapter.

Bryce.

CraigsBar

Futures does, not sure about symbos.... I've not got an analogue stick to test with.

dthrone

Quote from: CraigsBar on 09:35, 12 May 15
Futures does, not sure about symbos.... I've not got an analogue stick to test with.

Well you now know that if you pick up a Quickshot QS-6219 from ebay or wherever you'll have one you can use  ;)

That's the whole point of this topic - to make it easy to pick one up  :)

TFM

Quote from: CraigsBar on 09:21, 12 May 15

From the FutureOS side it already works.  :)
TFM of FutureSoft

dthrone

Quote from: Bryce on 09:06, 12 May 15
Technically possible, but how many people would really want one?

Bryce.

Mouse adaptor = potential for cart god games, point+click etc., I'm sure plenty of people would want one then  :)

CraigsBar

Quote from: dthrone on 17:05, 12 May 15

Mouse adaptor = potential for cart god games, point+click etc., I'm sure plenty of people would want one then  :)
Ditto!

And Image a Plus only Cart release of Cyber Chicken with proper analogue mouse support for more people than just those with a Symbiface II

Step 1, the Analogue Mouse adaptor
Step 2, Asking mouse orientated games to be ported to use it..... and other plus features... all no possible with C4CPC :)

dthrone

Quote from: CraigsBar on 20:55, 12 May 15

Step 2, Asking mouse orientated games to be ported to use it..... and other plus features... all no possible with C4CPC :)

Step 2.1, GX4000/plus exclusives too  ::)

Quote from: CraigsBar on 20:55, 12 May 15
And Image a Plus only Cart release of Cyber Chicken with proper analogue mouse support for more people than just those with a Symbiface II

Would be very nice  :D

andycadley

I'd definitely buy a couple. Not the faintest idea what I'd actually do with them, but that never stopped me before!  :laugh:

TFM

Ok, I would take 1-2 too, just to support and make tests.  :)
TFM of FutureSoft

dthrone

Well I'd definitely have one, I've been going a bit GX4000 peripheral crazy recently  :laugh:

Bryce

I'll add it to my list of projects that I'll probably never get around to doing :)

Bryce.

MacDeath

Where is the dislike button ? ;D

I tested different Joystick/joypads that would use the same analog port 'DB15) that I have for my old PCs... via Tennis Cup II as it actually enables Analog controllers.
None worked... could only go up-left diagonal... but with proper drivers, I guess many controllers would actually work.

dthrone

Quote from: MacDeath on 09:19, 14 May 15
I tested different Joystick/joypads that would use the same analog port 'DB15) that I have for my old PCs... via Tennis Cup II as it actually enables Analog controllers.
None worked... could only go up-left diagonal... but with proper drivers, I guess many controllers would actually work.

Finally some stick feedback  :)

The Tennis Cup II routine checks at almost the extremes of the ADC register ranges so it is likely that some of your sticks simply don't fill the full range because of their resistor values.  They will work, like you say with proper drivers.  In fact it would be extremely easy to patch TCII to make it work with a much larger range of sticks.

If you can test any of them with the Arnold Diagnostic cart and record the results it would be extremely useful information.  Drivers in games should be made accommodate the widest possible range of sticks.

MacDeath

I remember that it gave strange result on a PLUS in Basic... like chains of numbers/letters.
But I don't have the cartridge at the moment so I can't test for now.