News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

CPC664 Keyboard new membranes production.

Started by MacDeath, 21:49, 15 November 11

Previous topic - Next topic

MacDeath

found this :
http://mag.mo5.com/actu/11375/avis-aux-possesseurs-damstrad-cpc-664/

it's in french...

An assiciation want to know if some poeples may be interested into buying brand new Membrane as they planned to get a new production.

Don't know how it evolved as this article is now a bit old, but you may be interested...

They were looking for only 10 peoples...

00WReX

Very interesting...although it went silent after the post on July 1st.

I would probably be interested in one if the price was reasonable...

An interesting comment in the thread (Google translation)...
QuoteI am interested to order one. While I have not restarted my 664 at the time. I am under no illusions, the fault seems to happen consistently, except those awarded under repair at the time (this is not the case with mine).

My question is, when/if a 664 went in for a keyboard issue, did they replace it with the same type or an improved version.
The above comment seems to indicate a better version was used ???

If so, can you tell ???

I have 3x 664's that luckily at the moment all work...not sure if they have been previously repaired though ???

Cheers,
Shane
The CPC in Australia...
Awa - CPCWiki

Bryce

As far as I know, it was a recall, so any 664s sent in would have been given a new membrane, possibly even if the keyboard wasn't broken (yet). Later machines had the new membrane installed from day one. If yours are still working after all this time, I suspect they have the new membrane installed.

Bryce.

Kris

In fact, there are 2 kind of keyboard in a 664: 1with plastic membrane (those which make problem nowadays) and an improved version with a pcb/carbon contact as in an atari ST.
If you don't have any issue with your 664, the nI supposed you owned the good version...

00WReX

I suppose there is no easy way to tell which one you have other than to dismantle the whole keyboard ?

I don't mind opening the case, but while a 664 keyboard is working, I would rather leave it alone.

From what you guys are indicating it sounds like the original 664 keyboard membranes were so bad that it would be a miracle if it was still working today ?

Cheers
Shane
The CPC in Australia...
Awa - CPCWiki

MacDeath

I some of you may be interested I will try to relaunch the topic on the forum it is posted... and see how it went so far.

It may be nice to know :
=the cost.
=How many peoples would be interested.
=for how many pieces.

Got to remember that the shipping fee have to be added to the addition, but I don't think it will be the most expensive part due to those keyboard membrane being lightweighted... but they are also quite delicate and cover a "large surface" so...

Just to know, is this 664 mambrane compatible with CPC464 ones ?
I guess it would be too easy if it was the case... :D

Ynot.zer0

I'll take two membranes..... I have 2x664s, one with an okay-ish keyboard membrane and one that is totally dead.  I'd happily order two more as backup spares.    That was a long winded way of saying, "I'll take 4"   ;D

Badstarr

Just thought I would add... The Trading Post (some may remember they advertised in Amstrad Action) still have a supply of keyboard membranes, I'm not sure if they have ones for the 664, but it might be worth emailing them (very friendly people and usually respond within 24 hrs) and asking. http://www.tradeinpost.com/ They even have a ready supply of GX4000/Plus carts, even the Basic Carts!

I'm not entirely sure but I think I even remember a letter in Techy Forum in Amstrad Action asking if it was possible to replace the 664 keyboard membrane with a 464 one and as I remember they seemed to think it was. Maybe an alternative if the new production membranes don't pan out.
Proud owner of 464 GTM64 6128 GTM65, GX4128 and a 464/6128 Plus Hybrid a 20 year long ambition realised! :-)

steve

I cannot see how it would be possible to use a 464 membrane in a 664, the cursor keys are in a different location for a start.

Bryce

The cursor buttons are actually in exactly the same position, just they have a different shape.

Bryce.

Kris

I'm in contact with a potential supplier for new 664 membranes; I need as fast as possible the layout of the membrane under eagle or similar format to provide all the informations to them.
They will be able to calculate cost/delay when this layout will be avalaible; if someone can do that, don't hesitate to contact me directly.
Thanks

beaker

Did anything ever come of this? I am just looking at this listing:
Amstrad CPC664 | eBay

Spirantho

That was cheap!

Two reasons I think why it went for so little:
1) It looks a bit dirty.
2) I didn't see it.

D'oh.
Ian Gledhill
Mutant Caterpillar Games Ltd Retro Store for repairs and sales of 8-bit and 16-bit retro systems and software

Gryzor

Well, ok, 65 GBP for a dirty, non-working 664 and no monitor is not very cheap... Only if you know how to fix it.

DrLivingstone

Funcionan perfectamente.
Fascinante!!!!
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Gryzor

Quote from: DrLivingstoneFuncionan perfectamente.
Fascinante!!!!

You bought it? :)