Author Topic: Small PD Graphic display files from the eighties/nineties  (Read 1827 times)

Offline AMSDOS

• Supporter
  • 6128 Plus
    • index.php?action=treasury
    • Programs for Turbo Pascal 3
  • Liked: 890
  • Likes Given: 1545
Thanks for the links and post,I am working thru them just now.So the "C" demo is disabled or incomplete?

I actually muddled this twoforone demo, so the demo on show here is the C which draws in C shape from Left to Right onscreen and the one which is hidden away is Dragon.
I looked at your video again and noticed the comment which is printed at the end of Line 60 to be absent in your Video, the original line looks like this:

Code: [Select]
60 PLOT x(p),y(p):DRAW x(p+c),y(p+c):DRAW x(p+c*2),y(p+c*2):REM f=f*-1

If the REM at the end of Line 60 is in place, it will do the C demo, otherwise it will produce the Dragon if the REM is removed.

What would be the purpose of that?

They are both Graphical problems which require some algorithm to decipher the path they travel hence the pattern they both create. There's information about the Dragon Curve on Rosetta curve, but the page becomes quite technical without really explaining it's purpose. Last year I coded a Dragon Curve example for Hisoft Pascal, based on the ZX Spectrum BASIC and found it to be a Compilers Nightmare due to the nature of the way it Looped around itself and filling up Stack Space eventually ending up Crashing the System.

I have included a short video with this post which was meant to be part of video 7 but frankly after this program took nearly ten minutes to produce one graphic I just gave up. Video 7 (User area 2) should ready Tuesday or Wednesday.
When I have finished with this particular disk I will see what else can be found. I have over two hundred 3.5" D20 disks here which are mostly filled with data (text, email, screen and MicroDesign files) but I'm sure I will find other PD programs that will be of interest.
It is just a pity that some of the better programs I have already looked at (especially the John Valentine "Spatial Data Modelling" files ) are incompatible with the OSSC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=guX-sbd0xSE&feature=youtu.be

Yes to like the C + Dragon demo which was in ACU, Spirald.bas was published in AA with some Altered lines and is an alternative version of SPIRALU.BAS, both were in AA15 Type-Ins (Dec '86) with the Alternative Lines published below the SPIRALU demo to make SPIRALD.

I've attached some Screenshots of the C & Dragon Demo Below.
* Using some of the hardly used Amstrad compilers :D
* I use Firmware in my Assembly code :P
* Have interpreted some BASIC 1.1 programs for BASIC 1.0. :)

Offline ComSoft6128

• Supporter
  • 6128 Plus
  • CPC THEN CPC NOW
  • Liked: 1154
  • Likes Given: 2206
« Last Edit: 22:11, 21 May 19 by ComSoft6128 »

Offline AMSDOS

• Supporter
  • 6128 Plus
PD Graphics 7.

1. Shapes/Spiral (The Final Chapter)

Yes so the values entered won't change the output Spiral produces. It has something to do with the RUN"SPIRAL not clearing the DEG mode, which Shapes sets up. From what I recall in your earlier video it uses COS and SIN to store the values into arrays called co() and si() while in DEG more, though SPIRAL just uses COS and SIN to get it's values. In the Manual the RAD command talks about NEW, CLEAR, LOAD & RUN restoring back to the default mode (RAD), it seems to be true for NEW, CLEAR and RUN, but not LOAD, I tested and this doesn't seem to be true, though if I had LOAD"SPIRAL followed by RUN, the RUN would return BASIC to RAD mode.

2. Worm

I know this one so well, which was published in AA53 Type-Ins (Feb. 1990). It's been modified to add Lines 21 and 22 for the Introduction to it.

3. Channel4 (Also loads a binary file)

A couple of files are loaded, I was almost expecting it to be a BASIC 1.1 Graphic using MOVE, DRAW, FILL to create the iconic Logo, instead it's a Squeezed (Compressed) Screen followed by some Theme Music which almost sounds like the speaker wants to Escape itself.  :D

I found this little video clip which plays a whole range of variations on the theme which I thought was amusing  :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yFZ_jrwizWY

4. L&R

I'm unsure, but this Left & Right Scrolling Demo seems familiar, but I'm unsure what it's from, I may have picked it up on CPC-Power while looking at Scrolling Examples.

Offline ComSoft6128

• Supporter
  • 6128 Plus
  • CPC THEN CPC NOW
PD Graphics 8.

Four text Scrollers.

I have only Listed three so will show the missing one in a later video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwC5VFZ-yGc
« Last Edit: 14:02, 26 May 19 by ComSoft6128 »

Offline AMSDOS

• Supporter
  • 6128 Plus
PD Graphics 8.

Four text Scrollers.

I have only Listed three so will show the missing one in the next video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwC5VFZ-yGc

David Hall had some nice ones with Omega Scroll and Alpha Scroll, looks like Omega Scroll became part of the Demon PD Library according to CPC-Rulez. Omega Scroll was merely a 10-Liner with Alpha Scroll becoming a full length Listing which got published in ACU as well as AA Type-Ins (by David).  :)

Offline ComSoft6128

• Supporter
  • 6128 Plus
  • CPC THEN CPC NOW
PD Graphics 9.

Three files this time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cb67jKQbkc
« Last Edit: 13:27, 28 May 19 by ComSoft6128 »

Offline ComSoft6128

• Supporter
  • 6128 Plus
  • CPC THEN CPC NOW
PD Graphics 10.

This short video shows the Listing for qscroll ( video 8 ) and also zigzag.bas.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tmM0MDgcjM&feature=youtu.be
« Last Edit: 13:26, 28 May 19 by ComSoft6128 »

Offline AMSDOS

• Supporter
  • 6128 Plus
I thought there was something vaguely famliar with Titles2 demo which has that "PRESS ANY KEY WHEN YOU HEAR THIS NOISE" message, but the rest of it doesn't seem familiar, so maybe I've seen that message in something else?

The Wordmov1 demo is the Revolving Message from AA24 (Sept '87) Type-Ins
AA24 (Sept '87) Type-Ins (as the Source reveals)   :) I think I tried modifying it at one stage to see if I could get each letter from a Word to Revolve, but it doesn't work like that.

Offline ComSoft6128

• Supporter
  • 6128 Plus
  • CPC THEN CPC NOW
PD Graphics 11.

This time two text scrollers and a nice little 1990 Xmas greeting from the staff at Amstrad Computer User.
Again, it looks like the performance of the 2nd program is affected by not resetting the 6128 after the 1st program has finished.
I will have a look at that in a later video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7G3tNSOo6H8

Offline AMSDOS

• Supporter
  • 6128 Plus
PD Graphics 11.

This time two text scrollers and a nice little 1990 Xmas greeting from the staff at Amstrad Computer User.
Again, it looks like the performance of the 2nd program is affected by not resetting the 6128 after the 1st program has finished.
I will have a look at that in a later video.

It's actually from WORDMOV1.BAS (the last programme from the previous demo, I can see the Listing of it at the start of this video, which sets INKs 1,2,3 to 0. The David Hall demo WORDMOV2.BAS only sets INK 1 to Bright Yellow (24) leaving inks 2 & 3 still at 0. The problem in the next programme and even into the Christmas Message when they use INKs 2 & 3 which is set to Black. This is how the Second demo should look.  :)

Offline ComSoft6128

• Supporter
  • 6128 Plus
  • CPC THEN CPC NOW
Thanks for that AMSDOS,

I record a few videos every week or ten days or so and its sometimes hard to remember all the details/background to some of them.

PD Graphics 12.

1. Wordmov3.bas (working this time)

2. The Display Machine (Display.bas) by Richard Fairhurst. This mimics the LED displays often found in shops and businesses. This excellent program and "Bigrscoll" were the only two large text scrollers that were good enough to be used at the All Formats Computer Fairs back in the early to mid-nineties.

http://www.cpcwiki.eu/forum/applications/bigscroll/

There were more programs to be included in this video but unfortunately a hardware problem prevented their inclusion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYhGGxIKu5o&feature=youtu.be
« Last Edit: 09:11, 30 May 19 by ComSoft6128 »

Offline ComSoft6128

• Supporter
  • 6128 Plus
  • CPC THEN CPC NOW
PD Graphics 13.

Three programs this time:

1. -GDEM+.BAS - I stopped this before it finished as the countdown sequence causes the OSSC  to lose sync
2. -GRAFIX.BAS
3. -INDENT.BAS

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5vC3VdE3jA&feature=youtu.be

OSSC
https://www.videogameperfection.com/products/open-source-converter/

« Last Edit: 22:56, 17 July 19 by ComSoft6128 »

Offline AMSDOS

• Supporter
  • 6128 Plus

PD Graphics 13.

Three programs this time:

All from Skull PD by the looks of it, haven't seen them before.

1. -GDEM+.BAS - I stopped this before it finished as the countdown sequence causes the OSSC  to lose sync

It has some OUT commands in it which seem to be playing around with how the Screen is displayed.

2. -GRAFIX.BAS

I noticed DINO has a few programmes on CPC-Power, though it doesn't look like this was on there.

3. -INDENT.BAS

Might be worth testing some of those alternative FILL routines on this one, though I remember a couple of simple BASIC 10-Liners called Ernie & Bert which drew Ernie & Bert filling in the centre, wonder if that could have been done here. Your Computer ran a little article back in the early days showing how circles could be filled in on a 464.

Offline ComSoft6128

• Supporter
  • 6128 Plus
  • CPC THEN CPC NOW
Re: Small PD Graphic display files from the eighties/nineties
« Reply #38 on: Yesterday at 14:56 »
PD Graphics 14.

1. -LINECYC.BAS
2. -NO-SMOK.BAS