Author Topic: Converted GX4000 .cpr - The topic (repository link in first post)  (Read 230134 times)

Offline remax

• 6128 Plus
  • Liked: 334
Re: Question regarding rom sizes
« Reply #2350 on: 00:46, 06 August 18 »
I've got a wee question regarding the file sizes of these carts.
Essentially I am trying to play some of these on a real GX4000. I have boatloads of M27C1001 eproms that need using up and a hacked up GX4000 cart.  This works fine for all the "official" releases.
I know I need to modify the links in the cart to use a larger rom as in this collection, but am wondering why the size of some of these images is overly large?
This is not a criticism, it is a genuine question.
For example, I've converted Arkanoid from CPR to BIN, which is a 512k file size. However looking at the actual data, it shows that from 0x1288e, it appears to be just padding, with a few kb of character 0xe5 then the rest is 0xff.
In this instance, would it be safe to trim the bin file to 128kb and write to a smaller eprom which works with my existing hacked cart?? Is there a checksum that will need need to recalculated? I suppose I could just "try and see"... I know the intention of these files is for a C4CPR gadget which this over-sizing isn't probably an issue.

And whilst I am here, I've noticed in the collection that "Blue Angel 69" and "Puzznic" aren't technically valid CPR files as they contain the following string in them at the end:
File downloaded from * * * C P C - P O W E R * * * 2015-05-02 12:20:38 * * *
I'm still working on my parser/converter so I may find a few other niggles.

I think it would be safe to trim, but confirmation from arnoldemu or other people would be better.

Ah yeah for the ugly and really annoying tagging from CPCPower... I didn't think it was also in CPR files ! If you encounter a cleaner CPR, i'll be happy to update.

Offline remax

• 6128 Plus
  • Liked: 334
All updated...

Offline Phantomz

• 6128 Plus
  • Liked: 1575
I've just updated " Striker in the Crypts of Trogan ", again with help from @Urusergi   8)

The game is now Joypad only!

You can now use UP or Joypad 1 Button 2 to Jump, like in the GX4000 version of Switch Blade.  ;)

Pause / unpause with console pause button.
Quit game with Joypad 2 Button 1.
You can Pass the High Score Table by pressing Joypad 1 button 2, however you can also now use cheat option's in the high score table, use Joypad 1 Button 2 to Enter, Joypad 1 Button 1 is Delete in case you make a mistake.
Press the console pause button for " P ".

P X 1 = Start back at level 1   
P X 2 = Start on level two          
P X 3 = Start on level three          
P X 4 = Start on level four         
P X 5 = Start on level five         
P X 6 = 30 Lives    
P X 7 = 100,000 points          
P X 8 = Difficulty (1=easy - 10=hard)          

I've entered "PPPPPPPP" into the highscore table, in the "Striker In The Crypts Of Trogan - Difficulty Select.cpr"
This version gives a Difficulty select option (1=easy - 10=hard) use joypad 1 up and down to select difficulty.
I maxed out PPPPPPPP" at 99999999 so that it doesn't get removed, I believe the difficulty select would get removed if it got replaced.  ::)

I've included a few poked versions ( that include the difficulty select option ) these give various options like Invulnerability, Infinite Lives, Infinite Energy, Infinite Weapon, and various combinations.  ;)
I believe you can still lose your weapon even with the cheat for some reason.  ???

If a cpr doesn't load in the c4cpc, the name might be to long and will need to be renamed.
« Last Edit: 00:18, 08 August 18 by Phantomz »

Offline GUNHED

• 464 Plus
  • Reincarnation of TFM
  • Liked: 218
CPR files are somehow 'dirty', that's due to their nature. One should have sticked with BINary files.  ;)
http://futureos.de --> Get the revolutionary FutureOS
http://futureos.cpc-live.com/files/LambdaSpeak_RSX_by_TFM.zip --> Get the RSX-ROM for LambdaSpeak :-)

Offline arnoldemu

• Supporter
  • 6128 Plus
    • Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource
  • Liked: 2176
CPR files are somehow 'dirty', that's due to their nature. One should have sticked with BINary files.  ;)
at the beginning CPR was quite clean, but there was no strict verficiation so files deviated a little.Now I have to have lots of checks in arnold to handle bad ones.
My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

Offline arnoldemu

• Supporter
  • 6128 Plus
    • Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource
  • Liked: 2176
Re: Question regarding rom sizes
« Reply #2355 on: 15:42, 08 August 18 »

I think it would be safe to trim, but confirmation from arnoldemu or other people would be better.
don't trim the ones made by nocart.
trimming the binary is fine as long as you know the size used and that it doesn't go past the size of your rom.
You can also trim the cpr and remove unused pages, but if you do try and make sure it maps to an actual ROM size.e.g. <=1 block for 16kb, <=2 for 32kb, <=4 for 64, <=8 for 128. etc.for example 9 blocks would actually be a 256KB rom with a lot wasted.

Ah yeah for the ugly and really annoying tagging from CPCPower... I didn't think it was also in CPR files ! If you encounter a cleaner CPR, i'll be happy to update.
I don't like the extra data on the end.
My games. My Games
My website with coding examples: Unofficial Amstrad WWW Resource

Offline GUNHED

• 464 Plus
  • Reincarnation of TFM
  • Liked: 218
at the beginning CPR was quite clean, but there was no strict verficiation so files deviated a little.Now I have to have lots of checks in arnold to handle bad ones.

Quite a piece of work, but thanks for caring about it.  :)
http://futureos.de --> Get the revolutionary FutureOS
http://futureos.cpc-live.com/files/LambdaSpeak_RSX_by_TFM.zip --> Get the RSX-ROM for LambdaSpeak :-)

Offline dragon

• 6128 Plus
  • Liked: 553
I had a look at this game sometime ago, the game is 64k but most cracks use 128k or are compressed if I remember correctly.
I believe the version by spanishhacker works in 64k, but I believe that the joystick doesn't work for player 2 if I remember correctly.

I know something stopped me working on it!

I think is bad dumped, xor not works at least.

« Last Edit: 13:26, 10 August 18 by dragon »

Offline Phantomz

• 6128 Plus
  • Liked: 1575
I think is bad dumped, xor not works at least.

@dragon

I thought as much, it would have been a good game to have available, but I don't think there is a good 64k crack.

Another couple of games that would have been nice to have are, an English version of " Prince of Persia " and also " Beach Volley ", but I can't find good cracks to wok with.

Offline dragon

• 6128 Plus
  • Liked: 553
cpc power and cpcrulez are corrupted, but the emulinn version no :) .

The only difference of 128k is the select player screen(is autodetected).

I take a look the other two games.
« Last Edit: 19:21, 11 August 18 by dragon »