News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

The sword of Ianna, any news of CPC port?

Started by AxelStone, 15:02, 18 October 17

Previous topic - Next topic

khaz

Quote from: keith56 on 23:58, 23 October 17.

You asked my opinion, I gave it. Name your price, sell your game at the value you believe it has. You can see from my previous post that prices vary a lot depending on who's selling it. I have my own opinion on each of these sellers and their prices, some are good, and some are less than stellar. But it has nothing to do with the actual price and everything with the perceived value of the object.

Make a good game, it will sell.

keith56

I suppose what I'm trying to say is maybe people should just download Fuse or OpenMSX, and play the game the devs have put a lot of work into making, rather than expecting someone to port it to the CPC for the prospect of earning pocket change.

I mean, this platform tribalism made sense in the 80's when everyone could only afford one platform, but with emulators these days it makes no sense - everyone can play every systems games, and if people are only willing to pay 10 dollars per copy, the devs are going to favor the most widely used plaftorms... and that leaves the CPC out of luck.
Chibi Akumas: Comedy-Horror 8-bit Bullet Hell shooter!
Learn ARM, 8086, Z80, 6502 or 68000 with my tutorials: www.assemblytutorial.com
My Assembly programming book is available now on amazon!

khaz

You're projecting. This isn't at all what was said in this thread or in my posts.

keith56

it was not a comment specifically aimed at you, or the CPC community - I've seen this 'It must be on OUR platform' thing plenty elsewhere.
The point I'm making is that the game was written as an MSX & ZX game... there is no financial incentive to port it to the CPC, and it's hard to believe a game designed to work on the 256x192 MSX GPU isn't going to look worse on the 160x200 CPC... so why make the port of a game freely available on two other systems that anyone can get access to?

mr_lou

A million opinions and a million preferences.

There are gamedevs who prefer just developing the games. Then there are those who'd like to earn money from them. And those who want to sell a physical copy.

And then there are players who just wanna use an emulator, and those who insists on using the real machine. But there are also those who prefer having a physical copy and willing to pay for it. And maybe they only wanna play games on "their own" platform.

First thing to understand is that none of these groups should ever say: "Just do it like this, then all is good". You gotta understand that the community consists of multiple different opinions and preferences.

So the best thing you can do as a gamedeveloper is actually to offer all of it. But you of course don't have an interest in that. It's a lot of work.

Maybe we just need a lot more teamwork and openness?

Let the gamedev focus on his favorite part of it: Pure development.
Then let someone else create posters and labels and send it to a publishing group. If you don't care about the money, such a publishing group would probably gladly do it for you if they receive the money from the sales.
Then let the sourcecode be available for whoever might feel like porting your game to another platform. And allow whoever is porting it to whatever platform to sell it. (After all,  you don't care about the money, right?).

roudoudou

Quote from: keith56 on 23:58, 23 October 17
so approx ten dollars profit per person per game...  Sounds like people are more willing to pay to support youtube streamers than game developers to me.

Heck, I don't care, I'll make what I want - and if other people want it, great, if they don't f- em! I look forward to laughing in the face of the 'I don't like about Chibi Ep2' in a week!!'

it's the 'pleeze port your game to xxx' or 'please add support for yyy' people that annoy me, they're literally saying 'please work for free for weeks of your life for my benefit'... the entitlement is staggering

Make demos! You gain nothing but fun! Your work is nothing but contemplative (so you do not have to do support/fix/whatever...)

My pronouns are RASM and ACE

keith56

I'll try to return to topic, and stop my endless whining!

if someone were to attempt to port this to the CPC, it would probably make a great first 'V9990' cpc game (That add on GPU recently announced)

http://www.cpcwiki.eu/forum/amstrad-cpc-hardware/using-symbos-with-the-gfx9000-(msx-grapics-card)/

I started looking at it on sunday, and was able to port my MSX2 GPU code to work flawlessly (and much faster) on the v9990 GPU in just a few hours.

now, I'm not using hardware sprites, and I'm sure how easy it would be to port depends on the exact way the game uses the MSX2 VDP... but it would at least mean all the sprites didn't need redrawing, and it would be a big boost for the upcoming GFX9000 on CPC to have a playable game!

mr_lou

Quote from: keith56 on 08:13, 24 October 17I'll try to return to topic, and stop my endless whining!

You cannot stop endless whining. That's why it's called endless. You can only stop non-endless whining, typically referred to simply as whining.

AxelStone

Quote from: keith56 on 08:13, 24 October 17
I'll try to return to topic, and stop my endless whining!

if someone were to attempt to port this to the CPC, it would probably make a great first 'V9990' cpc game (That add on GPU recently announced)

http://www.cpcwiki.eu/forum/amstrad-cpc-hardware/using-symbos-with-the-gfx9000-(msx-grapics-card)/

I started looking at it on sunday, and was able to port my MSX2 GPU code to work flawlessly (and much faster) on the v9990 GPU in just a few hours.

now, I'm not using hardware sprites, and I'm sure how easy it would be to port depends on the exact way the game uses the MSX2 VDP... but it would at least mean all the sprites didn't need redrawing, and it would be a big boost for the upcoming GFX9000 on CPC to have a playable game!

Surely game uses MSX2 VDP to animate software sprites (so really it's copying VRAM areas from one page to other). Indeed this game is not worth to use V9000 unless you want to make a fast port, but a plain CPC can do a really nice port.