Author Topic: The Shadows of Sergoth - A Dungeon Crawler on the Amstrad CPC  (Read 4978 times)

Offline cpcitor

• The user previously known as FindYWay
  • CPC6128
  • My heart still runs on traditional CPC.
    • My code for the CPC.
  • Liked: 111
Is it really cheating though? My experience of dungeon crawlers is super limited (I played Shining in the Darkness and Shining the Holy Ark) But both had a turn-based gameplay where you couldn't move during the animations, be they a door opening or a monster appearing (or you yourself moving). Legend of Grimrock was much more dynamic, but I thought it was more of a modern interpretation of the genre.

Your own game looks very amazing. I've never even heard of that machine before 😳

The reference for me is Dungeon Master (on Amiga, Atari ST and PC). Everything feels like a (coarse grain) simulation: you can always move and act in real time while anything happens.

The granularity: any creature is either at center of a square, or in one of four quarters. Objects/spells/etc are always on (or above) one quarter.

It's part of the fun to click a button near a door and run beneath it before it closes, because of some benefit (like, the same button opened something else).

Or magically freeze a dangerous monster under a heavy door and close it on its head to hurt and possibly kill, while you run away.

If driving a fast team not carrying too much weight, you could even throw an object and run fast enough to bump into it before it fell to the ground.

In some areas you dodge fireballs thrown from a distant wall.

All this is not possible if throwing or other actions are rendered as smooth but unstoppable 2D animations preventing you to move.

Anyway, huge feat here. Kudos to the team!
Had a CPC since 1985, currently software dev professional, including embedded systems.

I made the first CPC cross-dev environment that auto-installs C compiler and tools: cpc-dev-tool-chain: a portable toolchain for C/ASM development targetting CPC.

Offline Gryzor

• Administrator
  • 6128 Plus
  • CPC-Wiki maintainer
    • CPCWiki
  • Liked: 2567
Any news on this??

Offline Dubliner

• CPC664
  • Liked: 67
Any news on this??

I interviewed them one month ago. This time you won't need any translator, since i kept the english interview at the bottom http://retromaniacmagazine.blogspot.com/2017/12/hacer-un-juego-estilo-dungeon-master-en.html

Offline ComSoft6128

• Supporter
  • 464 Plus
  • CPC THEN CPC NOW
    • index.php?action=treasury
  • Liked: 179
I will buy this as soon as it available and chris94 is 100% correct - a good Wolfenstein clone on the CPC would be fantastic. I had to use a PC to play that game and it always irritated me that there was nothing like it on the CPC.

Offline Gryzor

• Administrator
  • 6128 Plus
  • CPC-Wiki maintainer
    • CPCWiki
  • Liked: 2567
I interviewed them one month ago. This time you won't need any translator, since i kept the english interview at the bottom http://retromaniacmagazine.blogspot.com/2017/12/hacer-un-juego-estilo-dungeon-master-en.html

Ahhh thanks, going to read it tonight!! So glad it's still on track :) 

Offline cpcitor

• The user previously known as FindYWay
  • CPC6128
  • My heart still runs on traditional CPC.
    • My code for the CPC.
  • Liked: 111
I will buy this as soon as it available and chris94 is 100% correct - a good Wolfenstein clone on the CPC would be fantastic. I had to use a PC to play that game and it always irritated me that there was nothing like it on the CPC.

(monster lurking in the dark) Gneeheheee.

What do you think I have in mind since I started cpc-dev-tool-chain late 2013?  ;) (Well, I had in mind the lack of a proper integrated development toolchain so I made one and shared it as free software.)

Now our CPC scene ecosystem has cpc-dev-tool-chain, and cpctelera. Time to continue building step by step.

Wolfenstein project? Not exactly.

So, I'm on something. Actually it's not exactly a Wolfenstein clone. I'm aiming at something different.

On a different platform I did this game fully in assembly for a 2MHz, 32k RAM machine... partly in 1996, 1997, 1999:

Which I mentioned already here:

http://www.cpcwiki.eu/forum/games/wolfenstein-3d-on-the-cpc/msg56434/#msg56434
http://www.cpcwiki.eu/forum/games/the-shadows-of-sergoth-a-dungeon-crawler-on-the-amstrad-cpc/msg150966/#msg150966

But the current project is different and I think it's best not to say much at the time.

Perhaps a team may form, where I'd do most code, and other people would do art (graphics, music), and some things will be common (game design, level design)? Feedback (forum, private) welcome.
Had a CPC since 1985, currently software dev professional, including embedded systems.

I made the first CPC cross-dev environment that auto-installs C compiler and tools: cpc-dev-tool-chain: a portable toolchain for C/ASM development targetting CPC.

Offline felow

• CPC464
  • Liked: 4
 That’s a great news, can’t wait for this game!

Offline XeNoMoRPH

• CPC664
  • Liked: 149
Any date for release ...? thx  :o

Offline Kukulcan

• CPC464
    • cpc-power
  • Liked: 19
Check cpc-power tomorrow  ;)

Offline ukmarkh

• 6128 Plus
    • Classic Replay