News:

Printed Amstrad Addict magazine announced, check it out here!

Main Menu

Two shoot 'em up games from the WACCI library (1985/86)

Started by ComSoft6128, 15:48, 01 September 19

Previous topic - Next topic

ComSoft6128

This video begins with the LISTing for MISSILE.BAS which unfortunately doesn't work - when the file is RUN all that is visible is a black screen. I've tried it on a 6128 PLUS and and a 6128 with and without Romboxes - no joy. Pressing escape twice shows "Unknown command in line 8" - I removed line 8 and was still left with the black screen - does anyone have an idea what is wrong with this program?

PD Games shown:

1. STARFIRE - 0:40 to 1:50 - A Galaxian clone?

2. STAR CHASE (aka STAR1) - 2:34 to 7:30 - Inspired by a certain film?

Both of the games are enjoyable to play with the right level of difficulty.

Please note that the audio is out of sync by about 9 seconds.

I would have included DRIPZONE (An excellent Breakout/Arkanoid clone) but my game play was so pathetic I'm too embarrassed to show it :o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UG94YH7ZLvY

I'm not sure is these are available online but if not PM me.

CPCWiki WACCI page:
https://www.cpcwiki.eu/index.php/WACCI

AMSDOS

Quote from: ComSoft6128 on 15:48, 01 September 19
This video begins with the LISTing for MISSILE.BAS which unfortunately doesn't work - when the file is RUN all that is visible is a black screen. I've tried it on a 6128 PLUS and and a 6128 with and without Romboxes - no joy. Pressing escape twice shows "Unknown command in line 8" - I removed line 8 and was still left with the black screen - does anyone have an idea what is wrong with this program?

From what I can tell it looks like the whole trouble with MISSILE.BAS is Lines 5-9, for instance if HIMEM is below 42249 Lines 6 & 7 report there's not enough memory and to Press & key to try again and because there's nothing to STOP or END it proceeds to line 8 where it holds for a keypress and then a RSX to ROMON 7 - 7 is the ROM number used by the OS (AMSDOS, ParaDOS for example) before Running itself again on Line 9. That too me just doesn't make sense, the funny thing there is if there is more than 42249 it simply skips the Messages and Waits for Keypress and ROMON and Running the File all over again. I noticed on your Disc there also being MISSILE.BAD, without specifying the Extension I believe it should be loading MISSILE.BAS, perhaps there was a mixup and somehow the Good File was Renamed to MISSILE.BAD? You can LOAD"MISSILE.BAD" with the extension in place and it will load it, though from what I could tell the rest of the Game should work without the ROMBox, it does contain some M/C Data within it, though from the Looks of it, it just looks like standard Firmware Routines to Speed up the game.

QuotePD Games shown:

1. STARFIRE - 0:40 to 1:50 - A Galaxian clone?

Interesting, I couldn't find it present on CPC-Power, so I guess they would be interested in it.

Quote2. STAR CHASE (aka STAR1) - 2:34 to 7:30 - Inspired by a certain film?

Also couldn't find this one on CPC-Power, though it reminds of a similiar game I typed in and sent to CPC-Power, also written entirely in BASIC, the starfield simulation works well in these games through the use of INK animation to make it appear your travelling through Space.

QuoteBoth of the games are enjoyable to play with the right level of difficulty.

Please note that the audio is out of sync by about 9 seconds.

I would have included DRIPZONE (An excellent Breakout/Arkanoid clone) but my game play was so pathetic I'm too embarrassed to show it :o
I'm quite familiar with Dripzone despite never playing it, I think AA had a couple of looks at this game initially when the PD pages were called "Free for All" and then later when it was called "Public Image". The later review included a percentage score much different to when it was known as "Free for All", which I guess you simply had to read to make a judgement of a game.
* Using the old Amstrad Languages :D   * with the Firmware :P
* I also like to problem solve code in BASIC :)   * And type-in Type-Ins! :D

Home Computing Weekly Programs
Popular Computing Weekly Programs
Your Computer Programs
Updated Other Program Links on Profile Page (Update April 16/15 phew!)
Programs for Turbo Pascal 3

ComSoft6128

Thanks for the info @AMSDOS ,

@nich has also sent me a PM with similar help so I'll have a look at MISSILE again this Saturday or Sunday and see if I can get it up and RUNning ;D

Cheers,

Peter

zeropolis79

I'm planning a video of Dripzone myself..

scruss

John Kennedy's back doing retro stuff, btw: mostly to show his kids what he was wasting^H^H^H^H^H^H^H spending his time on at their age

AMSDOS

Oh Blast!! I was hoping for John KENEALLY (always get them two muddled up) :o
* Using the old Amstrad Languages :D   * with the Firmware :P
* I also like to problem solve code in BASIC :)   * And type-in Type-Ins! :D

Home Computing Weekly Programs
Popular Computing Weekly Programs
Your Computer Programs
Updated Other Program Links on Profile Page (Update April 16/15 phew!)
Programs for Turbo Pascal 3