Author Topic: The best 8 bit home computer?  (Read 4744 times)

Offline ivarf

• 6128 Plus
  • Liked: 145
Re: The best 8 bit home computer?
« Reply #20 on: 13:19, 10 January 17 »
Retro Gamer issue 52 said 15,000 units of GX4000 were sold. Not sure how accurate is that.

I also found the MSX quite interesting. Shame most non-Japanese games weren't great, another machine that suffered from crap speccy ports.

Although I know nothing about this, I would guess that this number is very low. I wonder what their sources are.
Amstrad had a very high marketing budget for the GX4000. Was it 15 million pounds? For me it sounds strange not to have produced more machines having spent so much on marketing. In the period leading up to Christmas 1984 they sold 200 000 Amstrad CPC 464s

I have made a list of 8 bit home computers which are the best (IMHO) with some feature.

Amstrad CPC - the best pixel based graphics
Commodore 64 - the best sound and graphics combined quality
Commodore +4 - the best quality of static graphics

Considering recent output from Targhan and Rhino with improved graphicmodes with more colour at higher resolution, I think the Amstrad CPC should be considered for all these 3 categories
« Last Edit: 14:42, 10 January 17 by ivarf »

Offline litwr

• CPC664
    • lidovski's www page
  • Liked: 113
« Reply #21 on: 16:25, 10 January 17 »

I agree that Tandy Color 3 is capable.  But it is rare.  How many programs are in software list especially for CoCo 3?  King Quest II for Tandy shows good but almost static pictures.  I didn't note any sound. :( It looks like C64 graphics with only one or two sprites and a bit more colorful.  However I could name CoCo 3 as the best 8-bit computer for King's Quest II.
MSX2+ and turboR are Japanese rarities.  They have too little software which uses their advanced features. The same is true for Amstrad CPC6128+, Sam Coupe, and other 8-bit computers after 1987.
Theoretically MSX2 can be better than C64, C+4 or Amstrad CPC.  But practically I don't know MSX2 games which are superior to C64 games.  C64 sound is better than even MSX2+ sound.  I also don't know photo graphics shown by MSX2 system which are better than C+4 pictures.  Is MSX2 capable to run a game like CPC6128 Pinball?
I agree that ZX Spektrum deserved to be the best by the best price.
It is also worth to mention that BBC Micro has built-in network support and it makes it the best for this feature.
It's very difficult to make a list like that without having tried all 8-bit computers, so I'll assume that the list is "best 8 bit computers that I've used". You've completely left out the Atari's for example. Is this because they weren't best at anything or because you've never had one?
I met Atari at the 80s.  It didn't impressed me much.  Just yet another 8-bit computer, a bit better than ZX Spektrum.  Do you name any Atari 800 feature that makes it the best?
Considering recent output from Targhan and Rhino with improved graphicmodes with more colour at higher resolution, I think the Amstrad CPC should be considered for all these 3 categories
I hope to see CPC6128 showing pictures better than Commodore +4, with sound better than C64 and with the fast hardware sprites.  :D
« Last Edit: 17:25, 10 January 17 by litwr »

Offline Bryce

• The Hardware Guy.
  • Supporter
  • 6128 Plus
  • It's not broken, it just hasn't been fixed yet.
    • index.php?action=treasury
  • Liked: 3339
« Reply #22 on: 16:41, 10 January 17 »
The Pokey was a pretty good sound chip. Also I liked the Atari XL for how easy it was to interface to.

The CPC also should be nominated for the fastest disk drive of the time.

I'd also like to nominate the Spectrum ZX81 as the best kit computer and best black and white computer :)

Bryce.

Offline VincentGR

• 6128 Plus
    • Parts from the past.
  • Liked: 278
« Reply #23 on: 17:14, 10 January 17 »
CPC was the most "professional" 8bit computer along side with the PCW series, although CPC was the fav.
Here it was used to many video clubs, lotto - gambling stores, schools and even in small companies.
The keyboard is almost perfect and probably not like acorn quality but the layout was the best I think.
Imagine keeping your files with a ZX...

The last CPC I saw was 4-5 years ago still kicking in Athens.

I agree with Bryce about the ZX81.
« Last Edit: 17:16, 10 January 17 by VincentGR »
To blit, or not to blit?
Amiga 1200 Black Project

Offline Audronic

• 6128 Plus
  • I know RST3 . I now know a little More.
  • Liked: 190
« Reply #24 on: 01:39, 11 January 17 »
As I have come from a TRS-80 Model 1-3-4-4P world across to the Amstrad World.
I have great fondness for the TRS-80 series.

Ray

Procrastinators Unite,
If it Ain't Broke PLEASE Don't Fix it.
I keep telling you I am Not Pedantic.
As I Live " Down Under " I Take my Gravity Tablets and Wear my Magnetic Boots to Keep me from Falling off.

Offline sigh

• 6128 Plus
  • Liked: 347
« Reply #25 on: 02:55, 11 January 17 »

I have the Panasonic FS-A1WX and it doesn't have any midi ports.
You can easily add them with a music module though.

I'd also would love to see what could happen on an MSX2+ if properly used.

Ahh yes - it was the MSX R turbo that had the midi in/out on some models.

The MSX2+ machine was never used to it's full potential, much like the 6128 PLUS back then.
Wasn't the Sam Coupe ham strung by some odd design choices limiting it's power?

Offline PulkoMandy

• 464 Plus
  • Liked: 263
« Reply #26 on: 10:20, 11 January 17 »
I assume the first and only batch of Amstrad pluses/GX with were several hundredthousands machines.

I think there are 6 or so revisions of the motherboard for the Amstrad Plus. The batches were smaller than you expect.

Offline ASiC

• Supporter
  • CPC664
  • Liked: 40
« Reply #27 on: 10:49, 11 January 17 »
Ahh yes - it was the MSX R turbo that had the midi in/out on some models.

The MSX2+ machine was never used to it's full potential, much like the 6128 PLUS back then.
Wasn't the Sam Coupe ham strung by some odd design choices limiting it's power?

I think the main issue with the Sam Coupe is the shared memory pool.
Same as the CPC but it was more severe on the Sam resulting in an effective CPU speed of only 14% faster than the speccy.
Also considering that the Sam had to push more pixels than the speccy, that percentage went down even further.

Offline ivarf

• 6128 Plus
  • Liked: 145
« Reply #28 on: 12:35, 11 January 17 »

I think the main issue with the Sam Coupe is the shared memory pool.
Same as the CPC but it was more severe on the Sam resulting in an effective CPU speed of only 14% faster than the speccy.
Also considering that the Sam had to push more pixels than the speccy, that percentage went down even further.

6 MHz Z80 isn't it?

Offline ASiC

• Supporter
  • CPC664
  • Liked: 40
« Reply #29 on: 13:34, 11 January 17 »
6 MHz Z80 isn't it?

Yes but the effective speed is much slower because of the wait states being enforced by the ASIC chip.
Same as the CPC: 4MHz CPU speed, effective speed ~3.54 MHz